Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,903 Posts
The breather lines connect to spigots inside the tank and down to the two spigots on the base plate.
Under the base plate there is a T piece joining them together and to the vent hose which runs down past the motor and through the hole in the belly pan.
If one of those hose becomes disconnected inside the tank at the base plate there is nothing stopping all the fuel running out the spigot and down through the lower vent hose.

It's a stupid system.. I had a whole tank full drain out whilst my bike was in the house..
Not anymore, I plugged the top and bottom spigots and removed the internal and external hoses.
The tank now simply breathes normally via the gas cap just like any other "normal" bike.

·
7,903 Posts
It is a breather. Air in to allow fuel to flow.
That's wrong.
The cap is vented.
Those breather hoses simply connect the dam surrounding the gas cap to the hose under the fairing.
They in no way connect to the inside of the tank.

·
7,903 Posts
If I had to guess why you lost the fuel when you lifted the tank I'd say a hose has either come adrift or perished inside the tank and last time the tank was fitted the drain hose got pinched effectively blocking it and when you lifted the tank it straighened out allowing the fuel to escape.

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
237 Posts
Don’t use those hose clamps in tanks, they’ll vibrate loose. use oetiker clamps and you’ll never have this problem.

I learned this the hard way too

1 - 9 of 9 Posts