Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like this would have been discussed before, but after searching, I can't find any mention.

I recently acquired a 916 SPS (with only 237 miles on the clock). The right hand fairing is the correct 1998 version, but the left side is 1997 with the old Cagiva logos. I have a new '98 mid panel to install, but need to separate it from the lower panel.

Is there a trick to removing the pins/rubber grommets? I've tried with long-nosed pliers, but not sure how much force I can use.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
In the tool kit there will be an L shaped torques key. It fits in the head of the pin. Turn it like you are undoing a screw. If the rubber covered brass nuts turn at the same time then hold and squeeze the rubber covered nuts with some pliers. If that fails, peel the rubber off the brass nut and hold that with some pliers and turn. Quite often the brass nut corrodes enough that the fittings get damaged on removal and need to be replaced. Be ready for a shock when pricing new ones.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks much!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
..............and of-course there is no tool kit under seat!

Looks like a small tork screw, so I can probably source that.

Anyone got an old tool kit for a 916 they wanna sell?

·
Registered
382 Posts
You don't need to buy "rubber wellnuts" from the dealer. We have a vendor we get them from for 5mm and 6mm like the ones on Ducatis. I don't know what size the ones are on the 916, but if you check for fairing screw kits, they'll have something you can use. Just find the ones that are the right size. An example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076J8B8QW

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
OK just for the record, it's a T7 sized Torx driver.

Came off really easily. No corrosion.

Attachments

Reactions: Rowan916

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Morning Chris. Ducati don’t use a well nut on those special fasteners. They are a Ducati part used on nothing else except the screen and lower fairing. The thread is also very fine and not the standard for the diameter, therefore not that easy to find. Of course the nut and screw can be replaced with something else but it won’t look like the Ducati part.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
comes as a kit - 69920721A. not cheap. generally any part with a 699xxxxxx number is some sort of kit or multi piece part.

i wonder if they're still gold. they're anodised aluminium aren't they, so i guess they would.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Morning Chris. Ducati don’t use a well nut on those special fasteners. They are a Ducati part used on nothing else except the screen and lower fairing. The thread is also very fine and not the standard for the diameter, therefore not that easy to find. Of course the nut and screw can be replaced with something else but it won’t look like the Ducati part.
I've owned a 916 and had a few other Ducatis. A rubber wellnut is what they use on most screens. And Ducati certainly did not invent a special thread and nut for this. Their fasteners are sometimes boutique but never something actually unique. (ok save for a few special things like SSS axle nut or steering stem nuts with pin spanners) The reason OEM parts are sometimes ridiculously priced are the supply chain requirements to get them. Example: wellnuts. I searched the world over to get them and that was almost as difficult as the SPX cosworth desmoquattro belt tensioning tool.

And then there are the genuinely unique items that are simply injected plastic which are stupid cheap. I forget a specific example, but I believe it was an inner fender for rear wheel on 900SS was $35. I was in disbelief. THAT was probably a part manufactured within 2 hours driving of Bologna. ;-)

So back to this... fine thread. It is a real thing. Requires less torque for an amount of clamping force and coincidentally easier to strip the threads. Almost makes me want to buy a used fairing from eBay so I can see exactly which threads those are...

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Morning Chris. The 916-1199 DID NOT use well nuts for the screen. They used a rubber covered nut that was not captive in the screen or upper fairing and NEVER on any mid to lower fasteners. I wouldn’t direct the poster to buy well nuts as they won’t fit. All the SS series uses captive well nuts on all the fairing joints and screen. And no, they didn’t “invent” any special thread for the UNIQUE fasteners that they use. I wouldn’t even call them boutique as nobody else that I know of makes them.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
See picture of my 916. Since it only has 237 miles on the clock, I think it's safe to assume that it's as close to factory as you can get.

I'm sure other fittings would work, but for the record, it does indeed appear to have rubber coated nuts fitted.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
the screen and fairing ones aren't really a well nut as per all the others. it's a short design i've never seen anywhere else.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I just grabbed a pack of M4 well nuts and gold aluminium dome head screws off ebay. Replaced the fairing joins and the screen screws together. Got new nylon washers too.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes that's what happens to wellnuts. They collapse and bulge around the nut.
I'll take a better picture tomorrow - but they are definitely not wellnuts, but rather rubber coated nuts.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts