Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!

I finally found some time to start upgrading my 916 with a 999R engine.

I have done a lot of online reading/research and though that the 998 airbox will do the trick to squeeze a testastretta engine into a 916 frame.

Looks like the R’s throttle-body spacing is larger than the 998/999 engine. 999S and 999R TB also have different Ducati part numbers.

Is here anybody that has already done the same 999R engine swap?

Would you rather modify a 998 airbox or use a 999 lower airbox and make it “fit” to 916 airbox?

Thanks for your feedback and tips!
dc

Just some visual inspiration of the current status:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
I was wondering about this very swap (possibilities, challenges, etc). Unfortunately I’m no help but I am excited to watch the project. Thanks for sharing the process.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PS: i just checked the lower airbox part number and apparently the 2006 std 999, 999S and 999R share the same number.

Isn’t the 998 and the std 999 the “same” engine? If yes, wouldn’t this invalidate my initial thought?

Does anybody have a 998R airbox laying around (behind your unicorn) - to check some dimensions?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've done an 06 999 swap into a 998 (kayalami frame). It's easily done and not too dissimilar from what you're trying to achieve. There's other threads on this very forum going on right now basically doing what you are. Search and you'll find them.
Here's one I did and wrote up a year or 2 ago

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've done an 06 999 swap into a 998 (kayalami frame). It's easily done and not too dissimilar from what you're trying to achieve. There's other threads on this very forum going on right now basically doing what you are. Search and you'll find them.
Here's one I did and wrote up a year or 2 ago
@nlzmo400r thanks for the info/link, which I already read and appreciated.
Do you know, specifically for the 999R engine, if your mods will also work?

As stated, I have a 998 airbox and 999S TB the they don’t line up with the airbox’s opening (removed the braze for fitting).

·
Registered
298 Posts
@nlzmo400r thanks for the info/link, which I already read and appreciated.
Do you know, specifically for the 999R engine, if your mods will also work?

As stated, I have a 998 airbox and 999S TB the they don’t line up with the airbox’s opening (removed the braze for fitting).

I modified almost nothing because I was already using 998 harness/electrics and throttles. So either the 916 and 998 air box lowers are different, or the 998 and 999 throttles are different in placement.

I don’t have a set of 999 throttles or 916 air box to verify, sorry.

Otherwise I didn’t need to modify anything other than what I chose to, such as the coil sticks, coolant temp sensor, oil cooler etc.

There’s nothing externally different about a 999R to a 999, so provided you determine whether you need a different air box lower or a different set of throttles, you should be good to go.

·
Registered
298 Posts
So after a brief search it seems the 998 air box is different than the desmoquattro air boxes mostly due to the kayalami frame clearance. Source yourself a 998 air box.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So after a brief search it seems the 998 air box is different than the desmoquattro air boxes mostly due to the kayalami frame clearance. Source yourself a 998 air box.

I already have a 998 airbox- it’s pictured above. That’s the problem that it doesn’t fit.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Then the 999 throttles must also be different from 998. I know their linkages are different, but I wouldn’t think they’d be that far off of center for the air box holes.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Where exactly on the air box is the number printed? I don’t see a number anywhere on mine without removing it so far.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Mine is the same. 44210691a

Thanks a bunch for your help and effort!

Let me just summarize, you have 998 bike, same airbox and 999S engine?

What throttle bodies to you use?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have a 998. When I bought it it was stock but with engine damage. I replaced the engine with an engine from a 2006 999. The engine didn’t come with throttles, so I installed the 998 throttles with no modification and installed the frame onto the engine. The air box fit just as it did with the 998 engine in place.

So by deduction we have to assume there’s a slight alignment difference in the 999 throttles compared to 998 throttles.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts