Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was doing this less often a few days ago randomly, now its constantly doing it. I was told by a buddy to check the plugs? but I'm not sure on how to remove the gas tank to get to the plug under the tank. I've checked most of the electrical plugs to check for basic corroded/burnt/loose plugs. One other thing i thought it could be is bad gas? So this morning i rode the tank til almost dry and refilled with some 92 octane from Shell hoping its just bad gas.

Anything else i should look at?

thanks,
duey

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
Sounds like plugs. Check the plug you can get to first and see what thats like.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 2000 996. Would not rev past 5000 rpm.
I took out my Techtronics shifter, thinking it might have something to do with it since it cuts ignition... it did not. I also tried a battery disconnect which would fix the problem but only for a few miles.

One "stealership" looked it over and told me I would need a new ECU and should go with the stock eprom and buy a power commander (from them , of course). This would cost about $1500.... This did not sound right to me so I paid the $50 and took my bike home.

Next "dealer" looked at it and thought it was maybe some electrical corrosion.
They have seen this problem a few times before.
They cleaned the connection on the ECU plug (big long plug). Problem fixed and 900 miles later no problems.

I would try some contact cleaner at the ECU plug and see if that helps... of course disconnect the battery when doing this... try it around the block a few times to make sure it is actually fixed.

Hope this helps...

·
Super Moderator
8,381 Posts
+1 on the plugs. It could be a clogged fuelfilter aswell.. I had that happen to a friend of mine.

Shouldn´t be to expensive to let the dealer change out either, if you don´t know how.

//amullo

·
I'm NOT an AAAAA-d-m-i-n
210 Posts
Based on my limited experience...

I'd check for a split fuel line in the tank. Just drain the tank to 1/8 full and look at the high pressure fuel hoses inside the tank and verify that they're not split. Open the tank > verify visually with a flashlight(not a lighter) > If split is not obviously visible, leave tank open > Start the bike and rev it a little while looking at the lines. If they're split, gas will spray from the split in the hose. Just another free check and fairly cheap to replace on your own.

If needed, perform the following steps to remove the tank:

Drain the fuel > Remove the tail piece/seat > Remove the allen screw located at the rear of the tank > Lift the tank a few inches(helps to have a friend here, but can be done alone) and disconnect the vent line and the two quick disconnects for the fuel lines > Lift the rear of tank while pulling it towards the rear. You may need to wriggle the tank a little to loosen the pin that's holding it on the front. The tank is now off. Pretty simple.

Good luck!

·
Registered
970 Posts
duey said:
It was doing this less often a few days ago randomly, now its constantly doing it. I was told by a buddy to check the plugs? but I'm not sure on how to remove the gas tank to get to the plug under the tank. I've checked most of the electrical plugs to check for basic corroded/burnt/loose plugs. One other thing i thought it could be is bad gas? So this morning i rode the tank til almost dry and refilled with some 92 octane from Shell hoping its just bad gas.

Anything else i should look at?

thanks,
duey
I think everyone needs a bit more info...
miles ?
last service ?
modifications ?
battery condition ?

It can be anything from a low battery output/charging sys. to fuel filter to ????

·
Registered
330 Posts
I had the same problem on my 01 748s. It was the ECU was kind of dirty and the chip was bad too. ECU was cleaned and the chip was changed under warranty never had a problem after.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok,

11k miles
last service 10k (supposedly)
sil moto exhaust is all i know of.
battery still good confirmed with multimeter

Now after getting more seat time on it, i've realized that it doesn't do it when the motor is cool/warm. It doesn't act up til the temp gauge gets up to ~180-200+. Yesterday i pulled one of the plugs and it did seem a bit fouled, so i went out and got some new plugs and will be changing them anyways.

I tried to get the local dealer to take a look at it but they said the next avail date for them to check it out is 3 weeks away, and that doesn't work out all too well for my daily driver.

Any more idea's guys? This is what else i've checked ;

ecu main plug removed and cleaned
ALL plugs on the battery side cleaned and inspected.

Oh and also the other day i wrapped my exhaust with exhaust wrap if that makes any difference which i doubt, i'm willing to remove it as a last resort as it was a pain in the butt to put on.

·
I'm NOT an AAAAA-d-m-i-n
210 Posts
I feel for ya

I'll be testing every last sensor on my 748's FI system to solve the mystery. It'll be a pain, but it's the only method I have available because I cannot afford to pay an hourly rate for process and elimination which is what it's going to take to uncover the problem. I do promise to follow-up with the a root cause analysis.

In the meantime, here's some good reading material for ya which will aid in your understanding of how things work.

http://www.sigmaperformance.com/weber.html

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok i still haven't had a chance to change the plugs yet, but right now i'm thinking thats not the prob. But now i just noticed that its kicking out 3-6in long flames out both pipes so this problem is NOT isolated to just one plug/coil/cylinder. One last thing i'm going to check out is the ECU to see if the chip maybe vibrated loose or something. This really sucks that my repair manual still hasn't arrived because i don't want to tear down the bike not knowing how certain things need to be removed.

/end rant

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok so i pulled the ecu out and apart. Check the chip and its nice and snug on there.

I'm not sure if any of you guys are familiar with car ignition controlled launch systems (made for drag racing) but thats what the bike sounds like it has. I'm 80% sure its ignition related, and most likely something is getting head soaked or something like that, or maybe coolant/air temp sensor??

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok so these things have been checked/replaced ;

fuel filter (replaced)
spark plugs (replaced)
coil packs
whole engine harness including plugs
coolant temp sensor
air filters

So with all this proccess of elimination i finally went to check the ecu/chip. Used the proper chip removal tool carefully and wouldn't ya know one of the prongs on the chip didn't come off with the chip. So after a full day of tearing down the bike i *THINK* it was the chip the whole time. I'm gonna order up a new chip (ferracci thats what was in there) and see *hopefully* if it is indeed the issue.

Can anyone recommend any other chips that i can get relatively quickly?? Or perhaps know of any other chip that is better than ferracci (f00180 is what i had in there).

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
BCM has chips

·
Super Moderator
8,381 Posts
You may want to check out FIM´s chip for your bike. They are programmable aswell. so if you decide to do any camtiming and so on, you will not need to buy a Powercommender.

http://www.fuelinmoto.com.au/weblist.html

Customer satisfaction on 916..
FIM webpage said:
Customer Satisfaction
Here are some unsolicited emails from our customers...

"Duane, I ordered a 061p chip from event technology here in the US per
your recommendation for high altitude...
I installed the chip and I can't believe how much of a difference it
made. I love it! The off idle response is incredible and so is the
midrange power. I let a fellow 916 rider try my bike and I didn't tell
him about your chip to see if he could tell the difference. He could
tell immediately that something was different, he also couldn't believe
a chip could make that much difference.

I am totally satisfied with your chip...
Thanks,
Chris Brown
New Mexico
USA"

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok well let me keep this updated on what else i've tried and failed miserabley at.

new chip = same issue

And we've finally realised that both coils are getting interrupted on the power side. So right now its definately a ignition related problem. I haven't been able to trace it further than that.

I'll keep this thread update for future reference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.