Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know Ducati's estimated service hours for completing a timing belt change?

Having Belts/Fluids and Plugs replaced and can better estimate cost wise if I know about how many hours the Job is.

Thanks In advance.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Does anyone know Ducati's estimated service hours for completing a timing belt change?

Having Belts/Fluids and Plugs replaced and can better estimate cost wise if I know about how many hours the Job is.

Thanks In advance.
This is something that you should really ask the particular dealer/mechanic who’s going to do the job.
People could tell you what it takes to replace the belts ,, you could do it yourself in 1.5hrs ,, a dealer could tell you something different & justify his words by saying “but we’ve got your bike all day”

If you’re looking to have it done ,, ask the dealer/mechanic
If you’re having it done as we speak ,, you should’ve asked the dealer/mechanic

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nikk, I did ask the service location by me, but at 4-5 hours it seeemed high for a pretty standard maintenance.

This was not a ducati specific location and was wondering if ducati had a preset billable time for these services the same way other dealorships do.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I’m just wondering why you’d get a mechanic to do something that you yourself could do in the same amount of time .
Even your 1st attempt at changing the belts shouldn’t take anymore than a couple of hours , even if you stop for a couple of coffees & a cigarette.
As for an oil/filter change & hydraulics, there’s no special knowledge needed for this job.

You could do the whole job yourself in the same time frame as you were quoted

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Completely understand, usually I would do this all myself. Just quite frankly do not have the time, I am swamped in other projects and just want this bike done and ready to ride so when I finally get a moment, its ready to go.

I've done full rebuild projects before and swore off ever going to a dealor for anything... then my schedule over time got more and more hectic... sadly now it is what it is.

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
I am slower than Brad I charge 1-1/2 hours on a 916 based bike unless there is a modification that has been done to make it worse like an EVR airbox. Like brad it is less if there is less parts to remove /replace already. On the 916 this is less of an issue as the bodywork is 1/4 turn fasteners and even the airbox is easy to remove (unless EVR) so I do not know as you save much on that model, the battery box is about as bad as it gets.

If the shop does allow you to bring it mostly stripped for the job verify that they do not want to run it afterwards, I always want to verify my work when done so ask that the bike has enough components so it can be safely run when I am done.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Honestly, on a slow day, and I've only done it twice, it's an hour. Plastics are a minute. Battery 2 more. belt covers 2 more. timing it up. 2 more. Lock the cam, 1. Pull the belts 2 more.... (you get the idea). It's insanely fast if you have the rear on a stand and all your tools ready and belts next to you.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Everyone, Dropped of the bike at a local performance shop by me.

I brought it without plastics, and had parts in hand on drop off. He started at 4 and said he'ld have it ready tonight... except … err... There is other things he "strongly" recommends me doing and wants to talk to me tomorrow after he goes through it all.

Great... Now I just got to wait for the damage count to get multiplied.

It was it is, just hope if it needs parts they are available state side so I don't have to pay to have this in the shop for days as I wait for parts from Italy :|

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Honestly, on a slow day, and I've only done it twice, it's an hour. Plastics are a minute. Battery 2 more. belt covers 2 more. timing it up. 2 more. Lock the cam, 1. Pull the belts 2 more.... (you get the idea). It's insanely fast if you have the rear on a stand and all your tools ready and belts next to you.
can we come around and time you?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sure. I didn't include bringing the bike in and putting it on a stand. Really guys, Ducati timing belts are set up so well that they are about as easy as you can get. Really not sure why all the fuss.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Sure. I didn't include bringing the bike in and putting it on a stand. Really guys, Ducati timing belts are set up so well that they are about as easy as you can get. Really not sure why all the fuss.
I don’t think there’s much “fuss” going on here.
The OP asked a question regarding time & if a dealer/mechanic charges a standard rate for a belt change.

Brad & ducvet are obviously mechanics who do this for a living , so their input is key.
You Obviously are not ,, so you’ve done it twice & on a slow day it only takes you an hour , Bravo , give yourself nice pat on the back & buy yourself a beer
You’re my new hero >:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
One hell of a ride from Australia to Maryland, but sure, bring the bike, parts and a 6 pack. As long as I'm not busy, we can give it a go. All I meant by the fuss comment is that this is one of those easy things on our bikes. Unlike the valve adjustment, holy crap!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts