Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had not ridden the 916 since the begging of June. Went to start it up to go Euro bike night, and it was extremely hard to start - and when it di start it was running on the horizontal cylinder. No biggie, maybe the plug got fouled trying to start it.

Well, that was some wishful thinking on my part. It appears that the circuit that drives the injector for the vertical cylinder has given up the ghost. Pulled the rear plug to find that it was not fouled and didn't event smell of gas. Tested the resistance of the injector and it was in spec. Traced and verified that the wiring to the rear injector was in place and had continuity. Used a stethoscope while starting the bike - heard a click/click from the front injector, but nothing from the rear. Put a noid light on the injector harness - and nothing. Front cylinder lights up the noid. Swapped out my ferrarci chip for the stock one - same result.

Took the cover off the ecu, but didn't see anything that stood out as having gone bad. Anyone have experience with this? Time for a new ECU?

John

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, it was a bad ECU. The FET that drives the rear injector went out.

I opted to go with the mECU 1.6M replacement that Cliff Jefferies developed. It was only slightly more expensive than a used 1.6M. It's user programmable, supports closed-loop running and if anything goes out on it, is easily repairable.

http://www.myecu.biz/

John

·
Registered
367 Posts
I looked at the myecu when the 1.6M went out on my 748 but decided to go with a used ecu from ebay. Did you get your bike running with the myecu yet? If so, did you build your own maps or is there something premade available?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at the myecu when the 1.6M went out on my 748 but decided to go with a used ecu from ebay. Did you get your bike running with the myecu yet? If so, did you build your own maps or is there something premade available?
Yeah, I got it running on the myECU. I found a copy of a senna bin and reversed engineered that. JCE (odd-bike.com) was nice enough to post his bin from his single injector 996 conversion - I made a myECU map of that also, but I think the senna based one runs better.

For anyone who has ever used megasquirt, the myECU does about 90% of what you can with that package and it pretty much just works.

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts