Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plan was to use the Monster 620 as the daily commuter and the 916 for fun rides. But when i open up the shed in the morning, i am picking the 916 and the Monster just sits there.
The 916 has 23,000miles. last service was in late 06 @ 19,xxxx miles where the valves where adjusted and the belts replaced. I also had the bike at the local Ducati dealer to give it a good once over when i first got it, and they found nothing wrong other than a blown signal bulb :p Good to go.

Daily riding last year i racked up a huge total of 3500 miles haha, but i was working out of town alot last year. hoping to hit more than that this year.

The bike is in really nice shape, but is this a good idea? It;s a 10 year old duc with decent miles. If i sell the monster, the 916 has to be reliable. As in nothing major going wrong.
At the end of the season, i'd drop it off with the dealer for another check up maybe a valve adjustment and belts again?

the main reason is insurance on the Monster is $1180/year and the 916 $1400/year
Thats $1180 to have a bike just sit there

i dunno, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm sure with proper maintenance, the 916 has many reliable miles left on her. I think there's quite a few riders here that have racked up 2 or 3 times as many miles (are you just talking miles for our metrically challenged friends? :) )

You could also just not insure the Monster and just keep it if you're that worried about potential downtime. It's just a phone call to get your insurance back on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have been riding her :D hence my problem :D

haha no no, both my bikes i brought up from the US so both in miles, try fiding a canadian 916 or a canadian Dark 02 Monster good luck :D
I have about 3 weeks left before i have to renew the insurance on the monster. So i guess i'll use this as a test and see how things go :)

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I did the same thing, I bought a 23000 mile 916 to replace my Suzuki SV as a daily rider. Up until this winter I didn't have a car, so I used it to commute, tour, go shopping, posing at the cafe... :p

It worked okay, the only problem I encountered was my coolant sensors kept burning out due to the constant use in heavy traffic. First my fan switch died, then my coolant temperature sensor (which causes all kind of problems with the fuel injection). I'd replace the belts right off the bat, 2 years max between replacements. And be prepared to dish out some serious money for valve adjustments, the 2v maintenance is cheap as chips compared to the amount of labour needed to adjust a 4v.

Good luck, and have fun. I paid 9000$ for my 916 here in Montreal, and it was a bit tired with a rebuilt title (typical prices in Canada are 10 000-11 000$)- for that kind of money you could find a mint 996 or even a 998 in the US.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
luckily my commute is almost all traffic free highway.
i rode in today. is it just my bike or is second gear way up there when trying to sift?
Second feels like it should be were neutral is, but it;s one notch higher, if that makes sense
the mirrors royaly suck for watching traffic behind you, espeically while sitting at a light.
I took apart my throttle and got the fast idle button working, so at leat i don;t ahve to hold the throttle anymore to warm it up :D
It honestly was not as enjoyable as the monster. The mosnter you are sitting up right, and witht he mirrors i can watch for morons
we'll see how the rest of the month goes :)

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Tough choice... I really enjoy riding my superbike to work. Its fun to tuck in and grab the throttle in your morning commute. I'm gonna probably gonna buy a Monster this year as my daily commuter and keep the 748 as a weekend warrior. The only problem is exactly what Chuck was saying... if your not riding a bike, why bother keeping it! I'm a collector and have a garage big enough to store a few bikes, so its not a big deal. But I'd be riding all 3 of them on a monthly basis... so its different.

I say keep the 916, its plenty reliable for daily riding.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
28 Posts
I owned my 916 for 5 years, did ca 20000 km, no bigger problems, just some electrical problems.

I would suggest that the more often you ride your bike, the longer it will last, providing you do your schedule services.

A 916 does not like short rides, where the motor is not properly warmed up, and no traffic please. However, I have to admit the bike is a perhaps not best suited for city commuting.

Sam

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don;t get me wrong, i don;t have to sell either. I have room no prob. it jsut seemed like a waste(money and bike) to have one bike sit and do nothing. I guess i can;t complain, i have a choice of Ducs in the morning haha :D

The good thing about my ride to and from work is it;s about 25-30min of %90 highway with no traffic. The 916 is waaaay nicer on the highway. @80-90mph i am only at, what was it, 4500rpm? On my 5spd monster i am over 7000rpm

I am going to ride it everday day to work, and get used to it. See how it goes, then i'll make up my mind on the fate of the little Monster.

And it;s not just traffic, it doesn;t like lol. puttering along at 60km/h is damn near impposible. With the mosnter i can rev it out without too much worry about a speeding ticket. no so with the 916.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya not very many hot days here, thankfully. A nice 20-25 is warm enough thanks lol
i am leaning that way. We will see after a couple weeks :)
thanks for the feed back guys

·
Senior Italophile
865 Posts
I commute 70 miles round trip on my 916 daily then go carve our mountain roads on the weekends. also did a 2000 + mile tour of california.
I seem to be working on her a lot but not too bad. nothing major just tires, chain/sprockets, bleed oils and clutch packs. I try to pay close attention to her.

The only days I do not like her is when we are stuck in gridlock traffic. splitting lanes for 70 miles in standstill traffic is no fun. luckily I usually only have to split lanes for 10 or so miles on most days.

BTW I am picking up a Vespa for running bigger errands (non car owner here, Bicycles and moto's only)

·
Registered
828 Posts
I use my 996 pretty much daily for just about everything. A backpack makes a great tour addition. Usually I use a small tank bag for daily junk: phone, wallet etc... I try not to ride when it's raining as usually rain here is a thunderstorm with all the goodies. Besides, even though the SBK's are "designed" to deal with water to a degree I think the less water the electronics see the better. I could care less if I get wet. Also, I HATE cleaning nasty rain goop off the bike...

To all that, if you use the 916 just keep a close look at the charging system, the little voltage meter Desmotimes sells would be a good addition, and keep up on the maint. You should be good to go...

One more thing... coming out from work walking up to this thing makes me smile to know it's mine.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I use my 996 pretty much daily for just about everything. A backpack makes a great tour addition. Usually I use a small tank bag for daily junk: phone, wallet etc... I try not to ride when it's raining as usually rain here is a thunderstorm with all the goodies. Besides, even though the SBK's are "designed" to deal with water to a degree I think the less water the electronics see the better. I could care less if I get wet. Also, I HATE cleaning nasty rain goop off the bike...

To all that, if you use the 916 just keep a close look at the charging system, the little voltage meter Desmotimes sells would be a good addition, and keep up on the maint. You should be good to go...

One more thing... coming out from work walking up to this thing makes me smile to know it's mine.

Well said!! Took the words right outa my mouth.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I take my 996 any day I can to work. Considering how much I work and MN's abbreviated riding season it makes sense. Have to make hay while the sun shines..

I have had zero problems with the electronics and rain. I avoid riding in T storms but if one is going to hit mid day and I can ride in and home ok I do. It gets rinsed while parked... I ride in light to moderate rain. I would'nt go to town with a pressure washer but short of that I dont care if it get wet. Had one gauge get very very slightly foggy once on a cold day.. I pulled the bulbs on them on a super hot day for a while and put them back in.. Next day that was as cold and there was not a problem..

I miss my ride... I still have it but....
I am currently out the the country for a while dealing with stuff like hot aircraft maintenance combined with 119 f temps and sand.

I might hit Italy when I am done hopefully timed to be able to swing a leg over a the new Ape RSV4 when it comes out!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have well over 40K miles on my 748 and still take it to work every day that I can. It has only made me late once due to a small battery explosion. Not too bad...

·
Registered
703 Posts
i had to make the very same decision two years ago after i bought my 916. first bike was a 95 900SS, wanted something newer/faster so bought the 916 and the supersport sat, and sat and sat some more. after realizing that her battery was dead, the tires were low and carbs needed to be rebuilt i immediately knew something had to be done. now the SS is being converted to a full track bike and the 916 won the battle to be the daily ridder, 20k miles later and i dont regret the decision! keep the monster and put it on the track or sell it so someone can enjoy the V twin symphony!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I daily commute on my 99' 996. I put a few miles on her the first couple of years when she was brand new, then she sat in the garage alot for several years, averaging maybe 1-2k miles per year. This year with the high gas price and getting 45mpg on the 996 I've put on around 4K since May to get the total up to 17K on the odo. I have kept up with services as far as mileage. I've probably let to much time go by between belts and oil changes in the past, but she has treated me well and has never stranded me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I traded my '06 Monster 620 for an '01 996. I really liked my Monster, too -- had it modded a bit, most of the plastic removed, to make it totally naked, bits of CF here and there... Pod filters, carbon termi's -- sounded awesome! Anyway, traded it in, just could not resist -- always loved the 916/996/998, ever since I saw my first love. On the 620 going 90 on the beltway here in DC felt FAST! On the 996 it feels civil. It cooked my butt on hot days past month -- August in DC gets nasty. Got stuck in traffic a few times, the bike got pretty hot, but held up -- the coolant leaked a bit once (maybe through a crack in the expansion tank), but it hasn't since. So far I love it. Still working the bugs out. I find the bike surprisingly comfortable. I cruise with my left elbow/forearm resting across the tank sometimes... It is actually relaxing. So far my biggest pet peeve is the surging / bucking / hiccuping below 4k rpm. That really sucks in the city. I actually tipped the bike, when it hiccuped on me during a tight u-turn in a parking lot. Was going slow enough to be able to let her down gently, still scratched the plastic a tiny bit. That really needs to be fixed if I continue using the bike as a daily commuter. I am definitely getting a 40t rear sprocket (already have a 14t front). And i have to figure out how to fix the low rpm problem without spending big $$...

Sorry for the long note, guys, got carried away a bit... :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts