Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to take the 916 on a 4 day run and want to use saddle bags rather then a tank bag and/or backpack combo. Mosely because one, I hate riding with a backpack and two, I want to use a tank mounted camera.

I have never really planned on going on trips with this bike, as its the most uncomfortable bike I have ever owned... but a buddy wants me to do a run with him in april...so I am trying to make it possible.

I just need a set of cheap saddle bags and want to know if anyone has any options or can confirm the ones that are all over eBay work?

Cheap ebay ones for reference:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-...h=item3d8140b960:g:SuMAAOSw~flcSWvZ:rk:1:pf:0

I have a mono, and just don't understand how these would securely attach??:confused:

These only really need to make it through one trip... so don't care about longevity, just don't want them scratching my plastics...Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I used some generic throwover bags and a magnetic tank bag.

Two problems:
One, they need to sit clear of the exhausts (carbon cans help, they don't get hot enough to melt the plastic)
Two, you need to protect the paint on the tail section from rubbing. I used frisket film. It's a tacky rubbery sheet that we use for making paint masks, you can get it at an art supply place. Slap it on then take it off after the trip is done. The adhesive used is mild enough to not lift paint below and you can reposition it easily.

Reactions: CinKo

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
The higher priced ones generally have better zippers, may not be that big of a concern to you as you might not use them often enough. Basting at the seams and especially the zippers helps keep them water resistant but most good ones also come with a rain cover. You can see the neoprene "mat" that is under this bag below - it will not scratch paint.

This tail bag expands quite a bit, maybe it is all you need? Solves the problem of the exhaust, although your bike has it fairly tucked in under the seat and it can't bang into your wheel exposed from the single sided swingarm. If you can find a place to loop the straps around your frame under the bodywork, these connectors snap apart easily to carry the bag. Every bit of materiel and construction of these bags is the highest quality.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-d-tail-motorcycle-tail-bag

I also got the saddlebags - this is all Ogio stuff, usually priced quite a bit higher.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-d-saddle-motorcycle-saddlebags

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I used some generic throwover bags and a magnetic tank bag.

Two problems:
One, they need to sit clear of the exhausts (carbon cans help, they don't get hot enough to melt the plastic)
Two, you need to protect the paint on the tail section from rubbing. I used frisket film. It's a tacky rubbery sheet that we use for making paint masks, you can get it at an art supply place. Slap it on then take it off after the trip is done. The adhesive used is mild enough to not lift paint below and you can reposition it easily.
I have carbon cans, so that's good to hear,
I've never heard of frisket film, but I'll take your advise and pick it up, is this the right stuff?
https://www.amazon.com/Grafix-Frisk...ords=frisket+film&refinements=p_85:2470955011

Also, I have never used throwovers, every bike I had before that I traveled with was a ST with hardbags. What keeps these bags from moving back and forth when stopping and accelerating? It looks like they would just move all over the place? You don't by chance have a picture of what the tie downs are connected to under the tail section? (Assuming there are connections under the tail)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The higher priced ones generally have better zippers, may not be that big of a concern to you as you might not use them often enough. Basting at the seams and especially the zippers helps keep them water resistant but most good ones also come with a rain cover. You can see the neoprene "mat" that is under this bag below - it will not scratch paint.

This tail bag expands quite a bit, maybe it is all you need? Solves the problem of the exhaust, although your bike has it fairly tucked in under the seat and it can't bang into your wheel exposed from the single sided swingarm. If you can find a place to loop the straps around your frame under the bodywork, these connectors snap apart easily to carry the bag. Every bit of materiel and construction of these bags is the highest quality.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-d-tail-motorcycle-tail-bag

I also got the saddlebags - this is all Ogio stuff, usually priced quite a bit higher.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-d-saddle-motorcycle-saddlebags
Thank you and that tail bag does look good, but Im still a bit wiry on how I would securely mount it to the 916? The exhaust does get hot on this bike, and since its mono I don't really have anything to connect it to. I guess I could feed it under the tail and over the top of the exhaust, but it would be hard pressed against the exhaust cans at all times, and I feel like it may get a little hot even though they are carbon covered. Maybe I am over thinking it... I just really don't want to melt a strap and dump my luggage down the highway...lol

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Maybe I am over thinking it... I just really don't want to melt a strap and dump my luggage down the highway...lol
Not a bad goal to have on a road trip!! :grin2:

I only know of one solution that I'm confident in. It is not cheap however. On the plus side, if you elect to do so, you could sell it on once you are done with only a small loss.

https://www.ventura-mca.com/Aero-Spada-VII-Kit

The rack isn't visible in the image but you can also just buy the rack and add your own luggage.....sean

Reactions: CinKo

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Not a bad goal to have on a road trip!! :grin2:

I only know of one solution that I'm confident in. It is not cheap however. On the plus side, if you elect to do so, you could sell it on once you are done with only a small loss.

The rack isn't visible in the image but you can also just buy the rack and add your own luggage.....sean
Thanks Sean that is a nice set, I had the Ventura rack on my ZRX and loved it.
I actually ended up buying the ebay generic one last night and will give it a shot... if it looks to unstable, I may just move that route. Appreciate the link too!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've used Bags-Connection / SW Motech Cargobag on mine. Very good.

Tightening it to the exhaust (YES!) and using something in between to protect the paint of the tail. You can even have a tent bag on top of it.
That is a nice set up and your bike looks great! I saw those over on revzilla, but was actually scared that it was going to need to tighten down around the exhaust and skipped it... I guess its good to know now that it does in fact work... Well if the set I bought doesn't work out at least I know I got a couple options. Thanks again!

·
Registered
820 Posts
I've done a couple long trips with this setup, once to Italy (10 days, 3000+ km's) and once to Belgium (week+ 2000+ ? km's). Autobahns included..
I was constantly checking the straps, but it stayed put. It moves a little back and forth during riding, but it is not going to fall off.

I put stainless steel hose clamps in front of the mufflers and smaller rings under them and then the strap to the small rings. At the rear just a strap underthe mufflers. The decal on the mufflers took a hit, but thats it. Maybe on a biposto, one could use the rear sets and the pillion seat somehow as tie down points..

/edit: I think the original setup somehow uses the license plate holder as a fixing point, but that seemed a little weird to me, so I skipped it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts