Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

What have you guys done to improve the rear view? Anything?

Any special tips or tactics would be appreciated as well.

Dropping my torso everytime I want to see behind me in traffic is a pain in the rear.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
It's really a lost cause... I just dip my shoulder a bit and can see fine from them, enough to make quick lane changes anyways. The MV Agusta's are no better either, but the did integrate the turn signals... How are the 999 mirrors in comparison?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
On the 999 I look first with my elbow in then move my elbow out on the desired side...I actually don't find the view that much more objectionable than most other sport bikes.

Besides...."The first rule of Italian driving (as you tear off the rear view and throw it over your shoulder), whatssa behind you don't amatter!"
-spoken by Raul Julia on "the gumball ralley"...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,913 Posts
Rear view? What's behind you is behind you. Who cares. They aren't catching up. :)

Seriously when I want to look behind I do the normal wingflap with my arm to see in the mirror. Now that I have carbon (smaller) mirrors they are probably next to useless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
grendels_arm said:
Rear view? What's behind you is behind you. Who cares. They aren't catching up. :)

Seriously when I want to look behind I do the normal wingflap with my arm to see in the mirror. Now that I have carbon (smaller) mirrors they are probably next to useless.

Yeah, I know but it's more from a safety standpoint. Stopped at a light...Locally, more and more motorcyclists are getting plowed into from the rear.

Its hard to shift from paying attention to stopping AND checking to see the cagers are slowing down whilst on their cell phones or putting on their make up, etc.

Anyone use those little convex/concave mirrors?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
This super cheap mod has made a significant difference for me.
I've been having fun thinking about installing a rear-view vid cam with LCD screen in my instrument cluster. My idea is that the LCD will remain off until I activate it with a button that will be located in the unused thumb posistion for the 'euro' headlamp switch.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
erinpaul said:
This super cheap mod has made a significant difference for me.
I've been having fun thinking about installing a rear-view vid cam with LCD screen in my instrument cluster. My idea is that the LCD will remain off until I activate it with a button that will be located in the unused thumb posistion for the 'euro' headlamp switch.
Where did you get it from? How much? Part number?

The vid monitor sounds cool but with sun glare, etc. i don't know...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
I bought the mirrors for about $2.99 from an auto parts store. If I did it again I would paint them to match.
As for the LCD/rear cam, I have not purchased one yet. The high end unit that I am interested in will be a couple hundred bucks through a buddy that does exotic cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,182 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That rear vid camera looks pretty cool. Maybe for Christmas...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,913 Posts
level7 said:
Yeah, I know but it's more from a safety standpoint. Stopped at a light...Locally, more and more motorcyclists are getting plowed into from the rear.

Its hard to shift from paying attention to stopping AND checking to see the cagers are slowing down whilst on their cell phones or putting on their make up, etc.

Anyone use those little convex/concave mirrors?

When you're stopped you can still look in your mirrors. One thing I almost always do when I am stopped already at a light and a car is in the distance coming up behind me is tap the front the lever repeatedly to make the brake light flash on and off. I've heard of that before in MSF course I believe. One thing I don't do is leave enough room to escape when you see the car won't stop in time. I need to start doing that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
bruce19 said:
CRG bar end mirrors. They work.


bruce19

Thats the samething im thinking mirrors on any bike are worthless. Bar end mirrors clean up the look of the bike and greatly improve the rear view.

I know some people out there think the bar end mirrors are stupid, but they work alot better then you think
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top