Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a full 50mm kit from a guy locally. What I have on the bike now, I have no idea. But it is a 45/50 kit. The mid pipe has no strange neck down or anything on it to make it go to 50 for the cans.....

The stuff I picked up today is a little rough. The headers and mid pipe are in excellent shape, but the "full length cans" have some pretty nice dents in he bends. Apparantly the stock rear plate holder/under tail fell off and got rammed in to the pipes. The long cans are missing the end rivet bands (ground off?). But they are termi cans. Now the shorty cans I have no idea, but they look like some kinda aftermarket ones with a carbon wrap? (There is a seam like a wrap around it. ). And the PO had cut the ends off for some reason..... soooooo

Thoughts? New chip would been needed?
I was thinking of restoring the termi cans but the dents make me go....meh.....

Or polish up the headers and mid and add then to the bike with whatever brand cans are on there now stayin.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
The exhaust you have on there is standard 45MM. I assume you measured 50MM at the tips? When talking about the size here, it's inlet pipe OD, not the tips on the cans. That mid pipe is the standard OEM 45MM. Give a way is the resonators. Not sure of the brand, but I have seen those cans before. Giamoto maybe?

The 50MM headers and mid pipe are keepers. Worth some decent cash. 45/50 and straight 50 mid pipes aren't inexpensive, never mind headers for a full system. Not like 1000s of dollars expensive, but certainly much more than stock 45MM stuff you can easily get used.

Think I'd personally ditch both sets of those end cans. Not sure how you'd get either set serviceable without spending as much in money, time and labor compared to sourcing a set of 50MM cans used that would slip right on. I mean if you have access to a welder and are skill at making exhaust systems, go for it. If not, grab a set of cans and be happy.

Chip. There are chips for the 916 and 50MM full systems out there. I may even have one somewhere that I've never used as it was for a P8 ECU and I used a 1.6 on my bike.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Measurements shown are at the top of the mid (pipes going in) and the bottom of the mid, pipes going in. And a close up of the connection.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Well, maybe those pipes are flared? I've not heard of that, but who knows. That, or there is a double wall heat shield on the pipe inlets? My ST is like that. OEM cans are double wall after the header connection all the way to the can inlet. Seems odd on a Superbike, though. In any case that is a standard OEM 45MM mid pipe.

·
grand poobah
715 Posts
I agree with the responses thus far. The Chrome system mounted on the bike is a stock system based on the mid pipe having the resonators inside. Most 45/50 systems expand across the mid pipe. Meaning stock exhaust headers and connecting pipes, larger mid pipe without resonators and then larger pipes to the cans. You should be able to find the larger 50mm exhaust cans with the lead in pipes out there. Those dents in the 50mm pipes look significant and would b pretty hard to repair. A new chip would be a must for the change to the 50mm system as you would loose quite a bit of low and mid range torque. Sigma performance and Brad Black have great web sites in relation to this with Charts of outputs based on different exhaust systems and chips. Best Wishes Brad.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mostly commute with the bike 80 ish miles a day. Not much benefit other than awesome sound! Lol . But swapping parts is easy..... :)

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I had those rhinestone tipped alien conspiracy theory pipes when when I pulled The Time Machine out of the dark ages. Years ago. They came short, no one cut them. As to whatever you have and want to run, go ahead. You aren't going to hurt anything and will learn w/ time what you want and need to do to the bike.

I've done an continue to do bad things to these old bikes. They hold up well to everything but high rev and belts and valves that are 6k miles past service.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts