Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd appreciate any insight or suggestions anyone can offer about how to solve the fact that I'm getting less than 20 MPG on my stock '91 900 SS. The mechanic I took it to couldn't find any issues. In case it matter, I'm running ethanol free fuel. Thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
What did the mechanic do to it ?
How does it run ?
What do the plugs look like ?
Does it smoke ?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I had that problem before. Back then it was called "the brother evaporation". My brother got ahold of the key to my bike and siphoned out about two gallons of fuel. Bastardo!!

More than likely not the problem here, however. I think Member *duc96cr is on the right track, answer those questions first so we can better help you.

:)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Crazy idea I'm throwing out there only because I have ridden my 91 to only 20mpg several times,... leaves a lot of rubber clinging to the edges of the tires and a helmet-wide grin; have you checked the odometer accuracy against a GPS - cell phone or measured miles?

Reasonable riding with few stops should give you about double that, 40mpg but I personally need to hear the pipes roar every tankful so I plan on looking for a gas station after 120 miles on the road.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
This is one of two SuperSports related threads in the Superbike section.
Should these not be moved to the SuperSports section?
I've got nothing against SuperSports, but we have these separate sections for a reason, do we not?

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
What happened to Collins ? Did the pic of the smoking duck scare him away ?

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What did the mechanic do to it ?
How does it run ?
What do the plugs look like ?
Does it smoke ?
All good questions - thanks - and I've got poor to marginal answers. Don't know other than checking for leaks. Runs pretty well. Don't know, haven't pulled them yet. A little. I found a set of Keihin 39mm FCRs opportunistically - so, I've decided to replace the carburetors rather than go through the process of trouble shooting the stock carburetors. I'm having a different shop do the swap. Thx again.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Short answer: Do a full tuneup and see how much it improves.
New belts, valve adjustment ,chain lube and adjustment , tire pressure, new spark plugs, new air filter, make sure mufflers aren’t clogged.
Put it up on stands and make sure the brakes aren’t dragging and pads aren’t too thin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Short answer: Do a full tuneup and see how much it improves.
New belts, valve adjustment ,chain lube and adjustment , tire pressure, new spark plugs, new air filter, make sure mufflers aren’t clogged.
Put it up on stands and make sure the brakes aren’t dragging and pads aren’t too thin.
Will do. The bike is scheduled for the carb swap and complete dial-in/tune-up in early August. That's the earliest t date I could get in these crazy times. Thx for all your input.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Super helpful thought. I'll share it with the folks I have do the carb swap. Thank you for the thought and the source for the jets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts