Discussion Starter #1
I need to repair a crack on the stock panel. I was told there's two ways

1st. polyester resin with cloth

2nd. epoxy resin with cloth

any opinions. I was told the epoxy resin is stronger

·
Registered
63 Posts
I used the epoxy resin with cloth on mine and it looks great. I recently noticed a new crack about 6 inches away from my repair job but I think that is just because of age and minor stress.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Does plastic welding work on these fairings? I thought they were fiberglass?
Good point. I didn't think about about that and am not sure what those fairings are made of.

If they are fiberglass, I have done some fiberglass repair of panels with the Bondo resin with fiberglass hairs in it with pretty good results. It hasn't recracked in over 12k miles.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My panels are stock fiberglass. I was told because the panels are injected made rather than hand laid that there is a release agent in the resin to help it not stick to the mold. You should use epoxy resin it bonds better than polyester resin

any feed back

joepopp try color rite in the search site type ductai if this is not a direct link to the duc page
http://www.colorrite.com/site/search.cfm

·
Registered
346 Posts
Check out empiregp.com. This guy can take even the most thrashed and destroyed fairings and make 'em as good as new, cheap. I had him do a repair on a '95 SS SP fairing and you absolutely can not tell it was ever damaged. Fabulous job! Stunning, perfect, awesome, I could run out of adjectives describing this guy's work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts