Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of doing hc pistons. I purchased some heavyduty cylinder stud but I need to remove the stock ones they are not broken do I need to heat them before removing any good ideas

·
Registered
45 Posts
From my personal experiences, if you're not reusing them, just use a pair of pliers to take them out... Heat may be necessary if the thread-locking material won't budge. Give them a try, but if you can't get that ever-so-satisfing crack when the thread-lock breaks loose, and/or they're not moving at all, give some heat and try again.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
i'd give them a shit load of heat. the last one i did wouldn't move without it. i've seen the stainless studs break (almost shatter) trying to get them out, so do everything you can to help your cause.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
As the others have said Heat the crap out of them.If you have access to a stud removal tool use it close to the case to maximize the torque you can apply.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the replies I'll put the heat to them and use a stud remover and see what happens hopefully I don't open a can of worms

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just did mine and removed them by double stacking the nuts. They came right out. Wouldn't you want to heat the cases and not the studs?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got done removing the o.e. studs with a little heat. Yes the heat is to soften the loctite and I applied it to the stud to soften it. The case is to fragile to be heating in my opinion. Heating the aluminum can soften it and gual the case treads on the way out from a small piece of loctite that is still in it crystal form and not soft enough the stud can take the heat better

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I just got done removing the o.e. studs with a little heat. Yes the heat is to soften the loctite and I applied it to the stud to soften it. The case is to fragile to be heating in my opinion. Heating the aluminum can soften it and gual the case treads on the way out from a small piece of loctite that is still in it crystal form and not soft enough the stud can take the heat better
Heating the studs will transfer enough heat to the cases.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts