Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little issue with my clutch that I hope to get some feedback on, before doing something. I have this 900SSie from 2002 with 13.000 KM. During winter storage I changed all fluids, including the clutch fluid. The bike/clutch ran perfectly before the winter, but now (from the first ride out of winter storage), when starting from a standstill, there is a very slight slippage/stuttering before the bike moves. It is only from a standstill, and only very slight. If I’m really, really gentle, I can disengage the clutch and go without the slippage/stuttering. No slippage/stuttering once moving or under acceleration/deceleration.

Also, when the bike is cold, with the clutch lever pulled in, the clutch does not stop to spin completely, only if I adjust the clutch lever all out and pull the lever in as much as it can come, the clutch stops spinning. After some km’s the clutch stops spinning as normal when the clutch lever is pulled in, but not the slight slippage/stuttering from standstill.
As said, the clutch worked perfect before winter storage, and have done this from the first ride out of winter storage. The only thing that is different is that I have used DOT 5.1 fluid, instead of DOT 4. I have re-bled the clutch fluid once again, but with no result, even though this does not completely rule out air in the system.

Sounds strange, but can it be the DOT 5.1 or do I just keep re-bleeding? What would you do/look for?

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
A trick I learned, I believe on this forum, is to make sure you bleed the slave, then also bleed the master. Once bled, hold the clutch lever open over night with a clamp to allow any bubbles in the system to migrate up to the reservoir.

Reactions: alliswell

·
Registered
905 Posts
My recollection is that DOT 5.1 fluid was specifically formulated for anti-lock brake systems and that Ducati specified DOT 4 for these bikes.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My recollection is that DOT 5.1 fluid was specifically formulated for anti-lock brake systems and that Ducati specified DOT 4 for these bikes.
Yes, but many are using 5.1. My local bike delaer (non-Ducati) doesn't even stock DOT4 anymore, just DOT5.1.

I am tempted, though, to try DOT4 to see if that have anything to do with it, even though i have not read anything indicating it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts