Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
thank you all for the answers! Truelly appreciated.

Now i just need to figure out, if and how much iam willing to pay. Its my first real bike as i said, and allthough the CR i found here is in rough shape? it goes and runs ok, just need some TLC, one guy has the 900ss full fairing with fila stickers all over the side plus some carbon cans.

The CR is a bit cheaper, but needs overhauling a bit more then the full fairing does..

Hmm....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thank you guys for all the answers, truelly appreciated.

So, if i would go with the old 900 or the newer 900ie.
here are the options

900 ss full fairing :
41000 km
916 clutch and brake master
alcantara seat
carbon front fender and clutch cover
termi pipes

900 ss CR :
55000 km
needs a good clean and service but it runs and goes.

900 ss IE :

Mint condition, with aftermarket exhaust, duc red and 30.000km

Attachments

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
That CR has more to it than you may think. It has a single piece handlebar conversion which requires a new upper triple clamp, handlebar risers, new 7/8" one piece handlebars (instead of clip on handlebars), probably longer throttle cables/clutch line/wiring. That is an expensive upgrade when all things are taken into consideration. The one piece handlebars create a more upright riding position so you are not hunched over the fuel tank.

That CR also appears to have an aftermarket front fairing. That would make sense since the higher handlebars probably need more space in the handlebar cutouts of the fairing to be able to steer the front wheel all the way from lock to lock. That fairing appears to be a single piece (probably fiberglass, but could be carbon fiber). The stock Ducati CR fairing is actually three separate pieces ... the front and the two sides. From that one picture it appears to have been finished quite well (sanding smooth, and painted to match the stock red paint on the fuel tank and rear fender).

All together, the handlebar conversion and the one piece front fairing + paint is probably worth at least $1,500 USD if you had done all of that yourself. Maybe even $2,000 USD.

:smile2:

On the SS, you could convert the full fairing to the CR fairing by just replacing the side pieces. As I said above, the CR fairing is actually three separate pieces. The center piece of the 1990s SS and the CR are the same, so you'd only need to replace the side pieces of the full fairing and install just the sides of the CR fairing to convert the SS/full fairing to the CR style fairing. HOWEVER ... there are probably many nits and bits that would also require changing that I've not mentioned here.

EDIT: On second look, the full fairing on that one bike appears to also be a one piece setup. So it is difficult to say what it would take to convert it to the CR style fairing.

2nd EDIT: The CR also appears to have Showa forks (rather than Marzocci), the small hex on the fork caps is how you can tell.

:wink2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
yes, your right about the handlebars on the CR. allthough, i have to say, I do prefer the look of the clip on. allthough this is more comfy :)

Would you say the 900ss IE is a " no go" or ?

only considering this because of the direct injection, and in generel easier bike to own.
offcourse the CR is the cheapest of the 3, the newer 900ss ie only about 500 dollars more then the 900 full fairing.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
yes, your right about the handlebars on the CR. allthough, i have to say, I do prefer the look of the clip on. allthough this is more comfy :)

Would you say the 900ss IE is a " no go" or ?

only considering this because of the direct injection, and in generel easier bike to own.
offcourse the CR is the cheapest of the 3, the newer 900ss ie only about 500 dollars more then the 900 full fairing.
I am unwilling to make that decision for you. The two bikes you posted pictures of (above) look like equal values. That choice is going to be something you will need to make. I prefer carbs and simple bikes, but that is my own preference. I don't care for computer controlled motorcycles ... but again, that is my own preference. I really don't even know you well enough to be able to help you with that choice. I'm sorry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I am unwilling to make that decision for you. The two bikes you posted pictures of (above) look like equal values. That choice is going to be something you will need to make. I prefer carbs and simple bikes, but that is my own preference. I don't care for computer controlled motorcycles ... but again, that is my own preference. I really don't even know you well enough to be able to help you with that choice. I'm sorry.

no offcourse, iam split as well, just curious to hear meanings about the different machines. :)

I do also like simple machines, but i also want to go ride and less working ( for now) :D so definately, a difficult choice.

hopefully this forum and this thread can make my choice, easier ;)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
no offcourse, iam split as well, just curious to hear meanings about the different machines. :)

I do also like simple machines, but i also want to go ride and less working ( for now) :D so definately, a difficult choice.

hopefully this forum and this thread can make my choice, easier ;)
My preferences:

Air cooled.
No computer.
No Anti lock brakes.
No traction control.
No anti-wheelie.
Carbs instead of electronic fuel injection.

The more simple the bike, the less there is to go wrong.

Personally, I don't find carburetors difficult to deal with. If you buy a bike with gummed up carbs there are a number of carb services that can fix them ... I chose Ducatiman to do mine. They came out wonderful, and he sets them up to run properly without the owner having to fuss with them. He even sends all of the parts that were replaced back to you so you may see how bad they were. ~About~ $250 USD, but I would imagine shipping them back to you from the US to Europe would need to be paid by you. Or not. Best to ask him.

First picture = "before" ... all the rest are after he serviced them.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
I myself recently bought (i.e., overpaid for) a 1996 900SS SP. It did run, but it was in a pretty ratty shape, and needed a lot of attention. As with old bikes of relatively unknown history, I did all the basic stuff - carbs, valve shims, belt, bearings, chain/sprockets, fluid, fuel filter/pump, etc., etc. The point is, though parts are plentiful, it could add up pretty fast, something to keep in mind. I honestly can't tell you which is better, but there's not much there between CR and SS SP that's not already said. I bought SP just because that was the one that popped up when I was looking for one, I would have been just as happy with CR (though I definitely prefer the throwback look of slab-sided SP). Fuel-injected model is nice, too. I'd have been happy with that, too, if I was a bit more smitten by the Terblanche look of it, which, I'm not. If you can though, you should test ride them, and see how you like them. I think you'll enjoy it regardless of which one you pick.

P.S. Service record is a huge bonus, but you already know that.

P.P.S. I'd get the cheapest, the lowest millage one. Or, the most expensive, totally sorted out one. I did neither.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So you did all of that to it, but still have the non-adjustable forks? Is there some reason for that?

:confused:

Personally, I'd chose to stay with the 4.5" rear wheel and a 160 rear tire. Much less rotational weight, less unsprung weight, and more nimble performance. But that's my own opinion, everyone has their own reasons for doing what they do. The only reason I've even brought it up is to point out various options to the OP.

:)
old pic. i swapped them out for a set of showa adjustable units. i still run the 4.5 rear with a 160.

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
Service records on any?

what a bike looks like can be second to condition and care it has, I see plenty of "perfect" bikes destroyed by over washing so ask for records of what has been done to keep them running well.

On the carbys I would inspect

frame for cracks
studs for chrome
swingarm for cracks on the aluminum version and wether it is a early or late model.

Do they both run and run well?
which one has 10 year old tires that are now plastic?
rubber brake lines on either, should get changed.
Belts done what year?

The tube bars would be a big minus for me but I am not buying the bike.
The solo seat would be a plus if I wanted a solo bike
The better CR forks (showa) is a plus.
nice slip ons on the 900 non-cr/sp
Sticker bike looks good enough I might not change it.
CR looks close to oem outside of the tree change/mods
to have a a multi model price differentiation in the ss model range they put the 900ss engine/carbs/exhaust (americans just love the big engines) into the 750ss chassis with half fairing and that is exactly what the 900ss/cr is.
Just to clarify in the US the 750ss carby had the same aluminum swingarm as the 900 so really the forks,rear wheel width and engines were the chassis differences in the US. For us the steel swingarm started with the 900cr and was carried over to the 750ie in 1999.

Nothing wrong with the 900ie at all but which will you be happiest paying too much money for and putting in your kitchen when the wife is not home?

For me it would likely be decided by condition after a good close look/listen to them all. If all three have good frames,studs and swingarms then it is down to body style and service history. A bike that is stored with old contaminated oil is in much greater danger of having a bearing failure so who took care of the bikes? From poor pictures of one angle I would lean towards the mono but thats me, if the CR has been better cared for than that could change but I do not like a supersport/monster I would rather have a supersport AND a classic monster than the worst of both worlds.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I may have missed it if you posted it but --What are they asking for each one? That may help others offering their opinion

·
Registered
405 Posts
from what I saw -and again this is my opo, I would go for the carby SS with the mono seat because it does have some nice goodies on it and it seems more or less stock. as Ducvet says listen to them while running & warm if they sound right then they probably are, tyres dont bother me too much because I would probably replace them just because I can, with any of them try to find out when they were last serviced including valve adjustment & belts. If it run's correctly even those 2 items may not deter me from buying it because I would do a full service w/ belts just to have a baseline point where I know everything is right. I just purchased my 91 900SS in May-it had not run in 17 years, -before I did anything I did a full service with belts and valve adjustment Only then did I try to start it, Then I rebuilt the carbs & installed new Tyres, fuel pump & filter w/ lines. took me a little while to dial the carbs in where I was happy, but now she run's perfectly and it was well worth the effort.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The cr is about 3800 us dollars, negotionable.

The Full fairing he is asking 5700 us dollars

The cr needs total service but rides fine he says

The Full fairing had service last year and goes well.

·
Registered
405 Posts
You may be able to negotiate a little better price maybe, who knows --But I would still go for SS not the CR, I dont know if you would be doing the full service or you would pay a shop to do it. But If you are paying to have it done the price between the 2 bikes is not that much plus the full fairing SS is more original / stock and thats a major plus -at least to me it is.--Now If the person that has the CR has all the original parts that were removed to make the current modifications and those parts come with the bike then it starts to look better, but still personally I would still go with the SS, it just looks alot better

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
If I was going to buy an SS I would only buy an SP. They will be the most collectible. They have all the factory bling, carbon fiber, adjustable suspension, alloy swing arm, under slung rear brake, wider rear wheel, temperature gauge. Most of all, that little numbered plaque on the triple. The difference in price between the CR and SP in comparable condition won’t buy the upgraded parts, and even if you did, it will never be a SP.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm not sure but the person that started this thread I thing is in Europe, where from what I understand the SP's were not available, but then nor were the CR's. I think --but he found a CR but I'm sure there were far more CR's built then SP's. I was originally looking for an SP but this early 91 SS ( European -not NA Import) came up for a price I could not turn down and I know the history on my 900SS from the day it was purchased which I personally find is a BIG Plus

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
I don’t regret buying my CR, I love the thing. But like many carby owners I got the upgrade bug, choosing to keep the bike Ducati-stock by buying SP parts to replace the CR bits. I was not knowledgeable enough when I bought my CR to realize how much difference there was between the models. Falloon’s book is not real accurate on the carbies. But, the SP is the top of the SS carby line, and if you haven’t bought yours yet, and you plan on keeping it relatively stock, an SP is the best investment. If you’re going crazy on mods, or putting a 14” over springer and a king and queen saddle on it, it doesn’t matter.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
If I was going to buy an SS I would only buy an SP. They will be the most collectible.
... which is good if you are a collector. But if you are a rider that wants to put daily miles on the bike, as well as personalize and/or modify the bike, a "collectable" motorcycle is the last thing you want to use. All it takes is a single easy lay down to create a LOT of expensive repairs to return the collectable bike to collectable value. These reasons are a large part of why I went with a CR. It's not an over-valued motorcycle that I'm afraid to ride or unwilling to personalize and modify. I bought the bike to ride, and not be afraid to modify .... not to polish up and park in my living room.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts