1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
900 SS : SP vs CR vs IE

Hi guys

New member her ( first post).
Looking for my first ( real) bike, been looking at these 2 models. (Currently own a rd400 project bike ( i like to wrench)

I know nothing about ducati, ive only read for a few days about the 2 bikes, but there seem to be little difference.

Besides the fairing, one beein a full fairing and the CR, beein a cafe racer model, also the swingarm is Alu on the ss full fairing and steel on the CR?

When I quite possible want to make my own take on the 900ss, whether its a naked or somewhat small update, modernising the CR model, what do you recommend i go fore?

The full fairing or cr model :nerd:

Best regards

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Hi guys

New member her ( first post).
Looking for my first ( real) bike, been looking at these 2 models. (Currently own a rd400 project bike ( i like to wrench)

I know nothing about ducati, ive only read for a few days about the 2 bikes, but there seem to be little difference.

Besides the fairing, one beein a full fairing and the CR, beein a cafe racer model, also the swingarm is Alu on the ss full fairing and steel on the CR?

When I quite possible want to make my own take on the 900ss, whether its a naked or somewhat small update, modernising the CR model, what do you recommend i go fore?

The full fairing or cr model :nerd:

Best regards
First up, Welcome Home :)

(please put your location in your profile so that everyone can see where you're from)

Now, "CR" does not mean "Cafe Racer". Those are the initials ("acronym" some would say) of an Italian phrase that if I recall means something like "small fairing" or "lesser outfitted" or some thing like that.

The CR models have non-adjustable forks and rear shocks. They also have the smaller 1/3rd front fairing. Beyond that, they're pretty much the same motorcycle (nearly part for part) as the SS models of the same era.

The stock aluminum swingarms of the SL models and others are prone to cracking. The stock steel swingarm of the CR model is only a little heavier, and is far more sturdy. You'd do far better investing the money you'd spend on aluminum swingin' arm on choosing lighter weight rear tires, lighter rear brake rotor, and perhaps lighter rear sprocket. Some of that saved money may also be applied to a BBB Fab frame brace (needed on pretty much any of the 900 aircooled models, SS, SL, SP, or CR) as well as other things like Nichols chromoly engine/frame bolts, tapered headstock bearings, lighter L-Ion battery, upgraded Voltage Regulator (modern MOSFET design), braided stainless steel front/rear/clutch lines, and other such niceties.

SWINGARM WEIGHTS (completely stripped down swingarms):

900SS steel - 11.00
Metamachex - 9.45
1000 aluminum - 8.91
900SS aluminum - 7.75

I bought my 1996 900CR about two or three months ago ($4k). I really prefer the CR over the SS for personal reasons. Keep in mind that if you're not well versed on how to correctly set up adjustable forks/shock that stuff will fight against you more than work with you.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow..seems like there are a lot of things, i did not know, i need to take into account.
Thank you for the answer :)

So, what if i went for the full fairing, could i mount a CR front fairing or is it difficult?

BBB frame brace?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
wow..seems like there are a lot of things, i did not know, i need to take into account.
Thank you for the answer :)
My pleasure.

So, what if i went for the full fairing, could i mount a CR front fairing or is it difficult?
No, the two fairings will interchange. But I've no idea why anyone would want to go all the way around the block just to make an SS look like a CR. Just buy the CR. Your choice, of course.

BBB frame brace?
Prevents the frame from cracking at the headstock. If you're a wheelie king, or you bought the bike from a wheelie king there's a higher likelihood the frame has cracked. It's a well known ~thing~ with the air cooled 900 models. It's easily prevented by installing the BBB Fab brace. "Steve Bailey" hand builds them in England. I bought mine on his eBay page, cost me $80.00 bucks U.S. brand new ... took less than three weeks to have him build it and ship it to me First Class. See attached pics (not my bike) ....

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No me neither :D just trying to figure out my first steps in the duc world :D

An old carb ducati, contra maybe as i can read online, the newer 900ss ie (2000), has direct injection.

I like the square headlight much more, but is the newer duc ( with injection) a "easier" bike to live with?

Found, allthough a bit more expensive, but a mint condidtion, 30.000km, ducati 900ss ie, from 2000.

At first, i want to ride to enjoy, secondly, when there is money, maybe customize a bit.

wow, my english is rusty, sorry. More posts, better english :)

btw. that frame brace is very nice, thank you, did not know the frame cracking has been addressed with this solution. smart

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
900SS: SP vs CR

Article above details the differences between the CR and SP. There are a few, most notable more adjustable suspension on the SP. HOWEVER, bear in mind that the SP suspension is far from superb when compared with modern components. It can be set up to work, but many people modify it (with good results). The suspension on the CR bikes, there's nothing wrong with that. It can be made to work just fine as well, and let's face it... most of us set it and forget it. Unless you're tracking the bike it's unlikely you're going to be adjusting the suspension beyond rear preload to compensate for a passenger on a long trip.

The pre-'99 carbed bikes with dry clutches have a certain appeal... they're less refined, the clutch is grabby and stock gearing doesn't lend itself to smooth take-offs or low-rpm around-town riding but when you crack that throttle open they go, and they sound da' boss. The injected bikes are more refined, I have a 1100DS motor with a wet clutch right now and it's night and day different from my SS. Smooth take-offs and low-speed idling but not as "raw" and sometimes that raw feeling is just what you want.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
No me neither :D just trying to figure out my first steps in the duc world :D

An old carb ducati, contra maybe as i can read online, the newer 900ss ie (2000), has direct injection.

I like the square headlight much more, but is the newer duc ( with injection) a "easier" bike to live with?

Found, allthough a bit more expensive, but a mint condidtion, 30.000km, ducati 900ss ie, from 2000.
That depends on your skills. If you are good with carb bikes then you will have no trouble with one of the 1990s models. If you are good with computer controlled injected bikes, then you may find the injected models easy to live with.

I prefer "simple" so I go with motorcycles that have no computers or electronic fuel injection. That is just my choice.

btw. that frame brace is very nice, thank you, did not know the frame cracking has been addressed with this solution. smart
Yes! It is simple to install and does not cost a lot of money. All that is required is to paint it because they are shipped without paint.

:smile2:

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
The carbureted supersports have more potential issues, injected bikes have fewer issues. Now the biggest issue is how they have been cared for not what the factory did when building them.

you can mix and match 900cr and 900sssp as well as 900sssl and 900ssFE with the early simple 900ss. When the 900ssie (injected) came out there is a sp and a sport version and more engine options. All dry clutch bikes use the same dry clutch, wet clutch bikes come in two variety's early 750 (maybe smaller too) and later 620,750, and 800. Slipper clutches were a optional upgrade for the wet clutches but in the US a wet slipper was not original in a supersport.

Some prefer the early body style others just want a air cooled supersport. Around here the 900ie is les desired except from the function standpoint. The 900ie had almost all of the carby 900 issues fixed so they did not suffer from issues with the frame,studs,rectifier. I will add that out of the box the 900ie is a better handling bike with better ground clearance so a easier turn key track bnike. the 900 carby can work equally as well as the 900ie but will need a bit more work to get it there.

Good clean carbys are getting harder to find and price is on the rise so if your plans are to build a franken bike (nothing wrong with that) simply start with one of the rougher/cheaper ones you find as you will likely change everything anyway. Parts are available and you can get out of control quite easily building but if you think you would enjoy a two wheeled version of AC Cobra you will be pleased with the process.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ducvet - thank you for the full answer. a lot of good to know info there, thank you.

Yes, the 900ie is not as sexy, i think, as the older, fairing wise IMO, But i have to admit i do like it has less "problems". Beeing my first reel bike, i also want to ride! :)
I do like to wrench, but maybe a 900ss ie, would be the easiest start to go. less hasle, more riding.

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
All is not lost if you want a carby.

Age is something that can wear a bike down but also think of how many carby 900's have been updated and are just as good as the 900ie . The key is knowing what to look for and how to tell if it has been updated to the same spec as a 900ie or not. Some you can never tell because they are in the motor, others are quite visible and would add value if done right.

Look for the updated frame on early bikes.
updated aluminum swingarms
updated cylinder studs
updated regulators

I can tell you many on this list have updated the older design either because they had to or simply wanted to. If you were to buy one that has been brough up to 900ie spec you get the best of both worlds and little extra cost. Buy a bike that was not upgraded and you risk spending much more money to bring it up to spec. Do you want a big or little project? figure that out and shop accordingly.

The injected bikes have not been as loved based on looks by the masses but that is in comparison to tcarbys classic looks if you simply compare if to modern bikes it looks fantastic :wink2:

·
Registered
407 Posts
I too just purchased my 91 900ss back in May--it had been sitting for 17 years but now it's the tit's --but I paid a mint for it lol

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
The CR has a 4.5 inch rear, the SS has a 5.5 here’s a pick of mine that started as a CR.
So you did all of that to it, but still have the non-adjustable forks? Is there some reason for that?

:confused:

The CR has a 4.5 inch rear, the SS has a 5.5 here’s a pick of mine that started as a CR.
Personally, I'd chose to stay with the 4.5" rear wheel and a 160 rear tire. Much less rotational weight, less unsprung weight, and more nimble performance. But that's my own opinion, everyone has their own reasons for doing what they do. The only reason I've even brought it up is to point out various options to the OP.

:)

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
Customs and choppas aren't built for performance so as long as it works enough to look the part why spend more on performance that is not needed/wanted? I look at most bikes of this type and think there is another one out of the gene pool but there is no reason not to have fun and build a little 3d rolling art, this one has at least a decent looking seat to peg vs most of the cafe builds I see where you need to have a long upper torso to reach the bars and a inseam of a six year old to fit.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
if you're in denmark then it's probably a moot question.

only the usa got the 900ss/sp and 900ss/cr. this was because the 750ss didn't sell in the usa, and they never imported the 400ss or 600ss into the usa. so to have a a multi model price differentiation in the ss model range they put the 900ss engine/carbs/exhaust (americans just love the big engines) into the 750ss chassis with half fairing and that is exactly what the 900ss/cr is.

the 900ss/sp is a superlight with dual seat instead of single.

all the euro (meaning rest of the world except switzerland) 900ss are the same, and the same as a 900ss/sp without the carbon, underslung rear caliper and plaque.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts