Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm trying to value a purchase I recently made. 1993 900ss/sp. 33k miles, but could pass for a bike with MUCH lower miles based on condition. Bodywork shows very well. 944 kit, Arrow carbon exhaust, Sargent seat, Keihins, recently done belts and valve adjustment. Several neat items like aftermarket clutch slave, clutch PP and cover, adjustable rear shock (can't recall brand off hand),

Hagarty suggests average value is $4500, but I'm not accustomed to using their info for bikes. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Hello all,

I'm trying to value a purchase I recently made. 1993 900ss/sp. 33k miles, but could pass for a bike with MUCH lower miles based on condition. Bodywork shows very well. 944 kit, Arrow carbon exhaust, Sargent seat, Keihins, recently done belts and valve adjustment. Several neat items like aftermarket clutch slave, clutch PP and cover, adjustable rear shock (can't recall brand off hand),

Hagarty suggests average value is $4500, but I'm not accustomed to using their info for bikes. Thanks.
Just from memory, Ducati didn't officially make an SS/SP until 1994. That said, I have a 1993 900SS with a frame tag number that translates to an SS/SP or an SL. As far as values go, I've seen them run the gamut from very low $2Ks to as high as $6K for a pristine example with low mileage and all original condition. Given that, I'd have to guess that the suggested Hagarty valuation is somewhat an average of those two extremes. ....sean

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense on the SP/SS/SL nomenclature. It has the full fairing, aluminum swingarm, 5.5" rear wheel, adjustable forks. So not a CR I guess. Title reads SS/SL I think.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Depends on a lot of things, condition and mileage being but two. Location, season, bling vs. stock, and the big one: how much it's worth to the buyer. I'd say $4500 is on the high side for an early model 900SS with 33K miles, but it's got lots of goodies, expensive ones like FCR's and aftermarket exhaust. I'd check the head studs and frame cracks at the steering tube as they're known issues, otherwise follow your heart on this one... do you want it?

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
That may be on the high end but in that condition plus goodies not out of line. Besides, they aren’t growing any more Carbies and maybe the price for nice ones is starting to heat up. That said, I personally would only spend that much for a nice low number SP right now. I can say that because it would be my second SS and I’ve always had a thing for the SP.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Educate yourself on the bike and inspect a few areas carefully. If it has a 944 kit the studs SHOULD have been changed, if not done it is a minus if done then a plus and potentially worth money. Same with the frame if it has been changed to the FE frame then that also is a plus, I changed many frames at the dealership so it is possible. Same with the swingarm look to see if it has the later boxed pivot bolts, if yes then another plus.

There is enough time and plenty of bikes that have been upgraded to the best parts (1998 spec) so if that all has been done I would add value. I just passed on a 944 900ss last year only because it had too many negatives for the price and I did not need another project. If it had just the studs changed I probably would have bought it.

As mentioned
condition
history
desired parts (FCR's are big $$ now)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a 96 SS/SP with 40K miles that I would not sell for 4500. I love the thing. She's in pretty much stock trim and runs very well with just regular maintenance. It's been well cared for. People can't believe it's now a 23 year old bike.
About a year ago obtained 05 999S. While I am extremely fond of that bike, I would sell it before I let my carby go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input, all!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Educate yourself on the bike and inspect a few areas carefully. If it has a 944 kit the studs SHOULD have been changed, if not done it is a minus if done then a plus and potentially worth money. Same with the frame if it has been changed to the FE frame then that also is a plus, I changed many frames at the dealership so it is possible. Same with the swingarm look to see if it has the later boxed pivot bolts, if yes then another plus.

There is enough time and plenty of bikes that have been upgraded to the best parts (1998 spec) so if that all has been done I would add value. I just passed on a 944 900ss last year only because it had too many negatives for the price and I did not need another project. If it had just the studs changed I probably would have bought it.

As mentioned
condition
history
desired parts (FCR's are big $$ now)
What is a boxed pivot bolt?

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
early aluminum swingarms had a cut in the front, you could see the side of the head of the pivot bolt when the swingarm was attached. This is where most aluminum swingarms failed as you would get a crack to/from this cut.

later the cut was replaced with a built up hump essentially boxing in the swingarm pivot bolt so you can no longer see the side of the bolt head when assembled. I changed many of the cut swingarms for boxed ones under warranty so there is a good chance an older model could be updated.

If I had a cut swingarm I would not scrap it but I also would do my best to make sure that the swingarm shimming is right. And never over torque the pinch bolts or you risk doing more damage than good. If I had say a super light I might keep an eye out for a good spare .... just in case. Cut version is original to early bikes so if the goal is as close to 100% then you likely want the early cut version.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts