Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2008 HyperMotard 1100S
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just quickly, what are y'all getting for an average fuel range out of a 900SS? I'm still on my first tank (long story) and am at 120mi or so...

I just want to know how far I can get on one tank, and how many minutes after the reserve light comes on am I sh!t outta luck :p

·
Registered
41 Posts
It depends a lot on what kind of riding you're doing. I usually stop between 120 and 140 miles. As for how long after the gaslight comes on, I've never gone more than 10 miles with it on. Thats not something most people are willing to test!!

·
Registered
2008 HyperMotard 1100S
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gitarman said:
It depends a lot on what kind of riding you're doing. I usually stop between 120 and 140 miles. As for how long after the gaslight comes on, I've never gone more than 10 miles with it on. Thats not something most people are willing to test!!
Mostly highway commuting -- I should have included that.

Guess I'm almost out then :D good to know about the reserve! The light on my 748 was pretty much a "You need the next gas station, pal!" indicator too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Found out my 900ssie did 124miles before running out, I also found out that the fuel warning light didn't work.
It's new bike so had no idea what fun it would be to find out the range :(

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
the ssie should do better than that, you should get between 20 - 22 km per litre, or 57 mpg. I average 230 km before the light comes on, that's 12 litres, 143 miles till reserve, then there is another gallon to go. It makes little difference if I am fanging in the hills or running up the highway, might drop to 225 km. I have noticed though that running premium fuel make the economy worse, drops to about 220km. On a long trip a few years ago I got stressing about fuel, I finally filled up at 279km or 175 miles. it took 15 litres 3.3 gall.

Hang on my gallon conversion is 4.55 Litres per gallon, I think that's imperial uk gallons.

Anyway the ssie should be much better than that.. as for the 95 carbed, sorry off topic

Mal

·
Registered
2008 HyperMotard 1100S
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mal: Yeah, a US gallon is 3.9L (four quarts), a UK gallon is 4.4L (not sure how they came up with that!). I'm an ex-Aussie :D

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
number9 said:
Just quickly, what are y'all getting for an average fuel range out of a 900SS? I'm still on my first tank (long story) and am at 120mi or so...

I just want to know how far I can get on one tank, and how many minutes after the reserve light comes on am I sh!t outta luck :p
As I recall, when the fuel light comes on you have used approx. 3.2 gal. So, there's just about 1 gal. left. In town that would get me an easy 35-40 mi. and out on the interstate somewhere between 45-50 mi. I'd usually take a conservative view and drive about 1/2 of what I'd estimated was left.

bruce19

·
Registered
187 Posts
On my 97 sp, I have gone as far as 175 miles, but usually fill up at around 160 also. Not sure what you guys are doing to only get 120 miles. :)

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
mals900ss said:
the ssie should do better than that, you should get between 20 - 22 km per litre
My SS1000DS gets 16-17, which is better than the 14-15 my ST2 gets.

My LeMans with FCRs gets 20-22.

Tom

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
number9 said:
Mal: Yeah, a US gallon is 3.9L (four quarts), a UK gallon is 4.4L (not sure how they came up with that!). I'm an ex-Aussie :D
UK gallon is also four quarts, but UK quarts are 40oz, while US quarts are 32oz BUT since US ounces are 4% bigger than UK ounces, the UK gallon is 20% larger than the US gallon, rather than the 25% one would get if the ounces were the same size (40/32=1.25).

Got it?

Tom

·
Administrator
6,169 Posts
NCRick said:
On my 99 i.e. I have gone 180 miles but usualy the light comes on at about 130 and I can keep going to 160.
Damn Rick, were you riding in 6th gear all the time?
I don't get more than 135 out of mine...

·
Registered
62 Posts
In mixed riding, my light will come on about 145, I have no clue how far it will go with the light on, I stop at the next available chance.. Superhawk taught me that..lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
number9 said:
We didn't come up with it. Its all due to the evaporation that took place on the trip across the pond on the Mayflower! LOL.

I usually get about 140 before the light comes on and it doesn't seem to make much difference solo or two up.

Barry

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
billyb said:
On my 97 sp, I have gone as far as 175 miles, but usually fill up at around 160 also. Not sure what you guys are doing to only get 120 miles. :)

Good question. With my heavily modified '96 944 SS/SP, I would routinely get 50-55 mpg on the interstate. And, mid-40's was normal in town.

bruce19

1 - 17 of 17 Posts