Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there everyone,I have just joined this forum in the hope of getting some assistance with a problem I'm having with my 900SS.
I have a full fairing 1995 900SS with 17,000kms on the dial.
It's in very good condition and was kept inside a garage over the winter here in Japan which has just finished.
I have had no trouble with it what so ever since buying it in 2003. :)
A few weeks ago I had the battery charged up and decided to take it for its first ride of 2007.

Here's what happened: Ignition/run on,fuel pump hums away,front light..yup check,indicators...check...push starter button....nothing.(a slight change in the fuel pump sound as the switch is pressed)..but no engine start or cranking of any type...just silence.
Hmm....checked Haynes service and repair manual...ok better check the switch contacts.
Pulled the switch apart,dropped small spring into the bowels of the engine out of sight..ggrrr...found spring after 10 minutes....carefully cleaned the contacts(a bit dirty)...reassembled switch...push button again...nada...zip.
Starter relay clicks when a stronger battery was connected by jumpers to mine...but still no action from starter motor.
I'm afraid I don't know much about such things...can anyone shed any light/help at all?.I live in a small town in the mountains of central Japan and my only recourse if I can't fix it is to rent a truck and drive it into the nearest city that has a Ducati dealer...logistically difficult(and pricey)
All help appreciated.
Kindest regards,
xray

·
Registered
465 Posts
Its often one of two things, either the starter solenoid or the starter sprag/gear.

Test the solennoid, with a plastic handeld screwdriver bridge the two large contacts, they have THICK black cables, one cable goes to the battery and the other to the starter. If the starter spins the solenoid is dead. its quite common. Be ready to pull the screwdriver away again so it doesn't weld itself on!

The starter sprag can get jammed. Normally putting the bike in gear and rolling it back and forth can un-jam it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Possible cause

I had a similar problem with my 750SS, eventually pulled the starter motor to try and find the problem, pulled it apart and there was nothing obvious apart from a lot of dust. Cleaned all the dust out and voila - all fixed. It's been fine for the last 2 years.

·
Registered
107 Posts
chris900ssie said:
Its often one of two things, either the starter solenoid or the starter sprag/gear.

Test the solennoid,
+1.

You can eliminate a starter problem by jumping the starter directly w.a set of cables; if it turns, it's probably the solenoid. If you do this w.your car, it shouldn't be running, and go + terminal, ground the - on the car. Ground the - on bike also, then touch the pos cable to the bolt on the starter holding the power line. Careful not to touch the bike's engine or other metal bits while doing this (w. + ), easy to do if the cable clamps are large.

OR you can jump it right from your bike (just thought of that).

Solenoid on my 92 SS died one day, replaced it w.used off ebay or something.

Or, Ca-Cycleworks has the Yammy one. See this pic for what it looks like, located right side below the tank but towards the right side frame.
http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/catalog/ducati/img/starter_relay.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanx a lot for the quick replies guys.
I'm having the battery recharged at the local gas station as I type this...it was fairly flat and will be ready by tonight.
The solenoid(relay?) looks to be pretty hard to get at...any tips on accessing it to try out those tips you posted?
Regards
x

·
Registered
107 Posts
xray said:
The solenoid(relay?) looks to be pretty hard to get at...any tips on accessing it to try out those tips you posted?
Regards
x
Why not start w.the easiest test? If this tests positive, i.e. starter works, you can bet it's the solenoid. I think you just have to remove the fairing, no? (I'm not familiar w.late model SSs)
ducboy said:
You can eliminate a starter problem by jumping the starter directly w.a set of cables

·
Registered
264 Posts
Fairly flat? I bet it's your regulator. They all seem to crap out on the early SS bikes. Easy fix.

I'd replace that before pulling apart your alternator cover to get at the starter.

You did check the fuses, right?

xray said:
Hey thanx a lot for the quick replies guys.
I'm having the battery recharged at the local gas station as I type this...it was fairly flat and will be ready by tonight.
Regards
x

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup,I checked the fuses..all ok there.
Also I had the bike shop install a brand new Japanese made regulator before they delivered the bike as I'd read on the Internet that the original were a problem on Ducatis.
I'm hoping the regulator is not the problem as its only 4 years old.
Will be trying all the tips posted so far tomorrow morning(Sat) and I'll report back on how it went.
Thanx for the help so far everyone.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Let us know what it is.

I had a freaky thing happen to me this winter after I brought my '93 900ss home. I wanted to test out my new Scorpion helmet's anti-fogging visor and the bike died. I trailored it home and went through the same list you are tackling. After ruling out the stuff "on top" I determined to pull the starter. When I pulled off the alternator cover I discovered that my flywheel had sheared off. The previous owner installed a lightened Ferracci flywheel and the tiny little bolts had just sheared in half. Crazy. So I installed the stock flywheel and everything is just fine again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts