Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-

Just curious, how many with 91-98 Supersports experience a lot of driveline lash? That is, you put 'er in gear, let out the clutch...then wait for the tranny to catch up with the drive shaft (or maybe I have the definition wrong, but that is the experience that I am having). I did take apart my clutch to find an oil leak from behind the basket (but that is a separate issue). I noticed that there is some deformation of the tangs on the plates. But could it be something else like the cush drive?

Anyone have this? (or the oil leak from the clutch for that matter?)

96SP

·
Registered
536 Posts
i cant say the dline lash on my 900ss is any worse than any of my other bikes. i would take a look at the cush thingys if i were you....best of luck with the fix !

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
My 1997 SS doesn't seem to have any driveline lash. Cush drive is easy enough to check, but I don't think that would cause much lash and they seem to last for a long time. I assume your chain and sprockets are ok. With oil leaking from behind the clutch, I wouldn't be surprised if you are getting some oil on the clutch plates. What you describe sounds more like the clutch slipping.
Joe

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys,

when I get her back from the shop (dyno + fork rebuild) I will take a closer look at the cush drive.
Cheers,
96SP

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
If you look at the chain adjuster on these older SS's, they're not very stout and probably pretty easy to bugger up. I'd take a look at it and make sure your chain is adjusted properly. Both of my bikes are reasonably smooth. Make sure your carbs are functioning as they should also.

·
Registered
264 Posts
did you ever solve that? mine's leaking through the pushrod hole. replaced all the orings, new pushrod, new seals and still same problem. oil sprays out the clutch after a few miles.

I'm going to replace the alternator cover gasket next in case it's that simple. maybe its leaking at that slave/pushrod entrance area. otherwise, clueless. when I wipe the pushrod clean and re-insert it, the majority of the oil seems to be from that left side.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never solved it, but since I drained the oil from the clutch housing (and took out the plates and sparyed them with brake cleaner) the thing has not slipped since. It is a slow leak and I will have to deal with it at some point though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts