Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Can we talk about this?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just and outlier of a price result?
The new normal?

Obviously the bike was in great shape and from a good home.
Should have appealed to buyers for sure.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,376 Posts
I'm a registered bidder over at BaT and I can tell you from experience that the people that tend to buy and sell over there expect quality. That's not to say that everything is. They'll mix in some unusual stuff, as well as a few items of question. However, the one thing that they seem to have is a reputation for some of the nicer things. They are selective about what they list and not everyone's vehicle is accepted for listing. However, when it comes to motorcycles, the crowd is far less knowledgeable. I've seen some really crazy high prices and some downright bargains. Motorcycles are hit and miss.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are selective of what gets listed, but they are fairly strange. Unsure what they are looking for some times.
Funny that the place started by listing sub prime examples of interesting cars (Hence the need for a trailer).

Bikes there have been hit or miss. But super well photographed bikes seem to do REALLY well, no matter the condition.
Like I said, this Ducati looked great.

I was just shocked that it sold for the better part of $10k.
That has to be a record.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I have a bike going up for sale on BaT shortly. I don't sell bikes very often but I need to make room for something and BaT made the most sense. So far, it's been a very interesting process compared to the other times I've sold cars at auction. I am curious to see how it does.

Reactions: Yorik

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Care to elaborate on what has been interesting?
Did you look at Iconicmotorbikes too?

·
10,376 Posts
I have a bike going up for sale on BaT shortly. I don't sell bikes very often but I need to make room for something and BaT made the most sense. So far, it's been a very interesting process compared to the other times I've sold cars at auction. I am curious to see how it does.
The key to getting top dollar over there is to be responsive to commenters. Sellers that don't reply do poorly.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
The key to getting top dollar over there is to be responsive to commenters. Sellers that don't reply do poorly.
Yes, I am not very active on BaT but I know that I need to be active with my listing.

Care to elaborate on what has been interesting?
Did you look at Iconicmotorbikes too?
I have sold some very nice cars at RM Sotheby's, Bonhams, and Gooding and Company and this is the first time that I've tried selling anything special at an online only auction. The flow of the process is interesting. So far, they have been quite efficient and it's fascinating as to how it moves.

As far as any other avenue of selling goes, as I said, BaT made the most sense. I will leave it at that.

·
Registered
939 Posts

I have sold some very nice cars at RM Sotheby's, Bonhams, and Gooding and Company and this is the first time that I've tried selling anything special at an online only auction. The flow of the process is interesting. So far, they have been quite efficient and it's fascinating as to how it moves.

As far as any other avenue of selling goes, as I said, BaT made the most sense. I will leave it at that.
GLWTS on BaT. I think the bike you're selling is perfect for BaT. The peanut gallery commentary works well for exemplary examples, it doesn't work well for anything less, since it draws negative comments or spurious supposition. As best as I can tell, the Iconic guys do really well for bikes in their possession and not so well for stuff that isn't. They charge more than BaT and don't offer the, send a professional photographer to your place to take complete detailed high resolution pics service that BaT offers.

I'm getting ready to put a bike on RSBFS, Although it is a great example, the mileage and history of multiple owners make it tougher to prove quality to a peanut gallery even though every past owner is willing to be contacted by prospective buyers as well as every tech who has touched the bike.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love RSBFS. Bought my Bimota there.
Got close on a couple of other bikes.

Whatcha listing?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is key for sure.
As well as being honest.

To many sellers are slightly trying to hide something. When it rightfully gets pointed out in the comments, the sellers try and down play it. 100% of the time is spirals out of control.

That said, I have heard a few people claim they would not want to use BaT because of the "peanut gallery" Dont see what they should have to worry about. Have never seen a good vehicle or seller be bashed or harmed.

Shame that it is no longer the platform to explain an "interesting" past.
I used to be a great outlet for that.

·
10,376 Posts
When it comes to cars, there is a HUGE amount of knowledge there. A seller can easily keep things in check by being active in the comments and, like you say, being honest. Otherwise, things can get out of hand. I've learned a lot from the peanut gallery about the cars that I've been interested in. So much so that I've held back bids on a few things. I'm just waiting for the right opportunity.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
It was the safety wired lock nuts on the sprocket. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
GLWTS on BaT. I think the bike you're selling is perfect for BaT. The peanut gallery commentary works well for exemplary examples, it doesn't work well for anything less, since it draws negative comments or spurious supposition. As best as I can tell, the Iconic guys do really well for bikes in their possession and not so well for stuff that isn't. They charge more than BaT and don't offer the, send a professional photographer to your place to take complete detailed high resolution pics service that BaT offers.

I'm getting ready to put a bike on RSBFS, Although it is a great example, the mileage and history of multiple owners make it tougher to prove quality to a peanut gallery even though every past owner is willing to be contacted by prospective buyers as well as every tech who has touched the bike.
Thanks. I think that it will do okay. It's unridden bike so there shouldn't be a whole lot of weird questions about its history but who knows. Regardless, I own a few special Ducatis and it's not like I don't know what it's like to buy one so I should be able to answer whatever questions pretty easily.

I do like RSBFS a lot. It's what BaT was before they went mainstream and started selling cars on their own. I think it's a great avenue for a lot of nice bikes.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Those seem to be getting a lot of attention lately.
Good luck with the listing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts