Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I know any change in aesthetics is generally unwelcome, but I sort of had it with the stock mirrors. Even with the extension blocks, I was still bobbing and weaving to see what's behind me. Since most of my riding is commuting (often in decent traffic), I would rather have a good read on what's going on around me.

I bought these from Moto Science. If memory serves, they weren't cheap (I think around $100), but they are a direct fit (no post modifications), and functionally, they are amazing (just a simple glance aft now). To my aging eyes, they don't even look that bad. Not for everyone, I'm sure, but worked for me. And yes, retained the stock mirrors in the event I ever sell, which is highly unlikely. :grin2:
What is the model number or bike ID they are used on? I'm sanding paint now and the stock ones are going. Useless.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I know any change in aesthetics is generally unwelcome, but I sort of had it with the stock mirrors. Even with the extension blocks, I was still bobbing and weaving to see what's behind me. Since most of my riding is commuting (often in decent traffic), I would rather have a good read on what's going on around me.

I bought these from Moto Science. If memory serves, they weren't cheap (I think around $100), but they are a direct fit (no post modifications), and functionally, they are amazing (just a simple glance aft now). To my aging eyes, they don't even look that bad. Not for everyone, I'm sure, but worked for me. And yes, retained the stock mirrors in the event I ever sell, which is highly unlikely. :grin2:
The stock mirrors look bad imo. Super chunky, your solution looks factory enough to me. Personally, there is no issues for me with cleaning up the look of the bike Ducati designed. The rubber joint on the stock mirrors always looks SO dated to me, it's the single piece of the bike I hate the most. I think it ages it more than the square headlght even!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had some Lightech CF mirrors that came with the bike when I bought it. The spacing of the bolts was exactly the same as the stock mirrors.
They provided a lightly better view and did not move a bit when riding but I didn't like them.
They were a bit too modern looking on a '97SS so I sold them.

That said, I don't have a problem with the stock mirrors. (as long as they are black, I don't like the red ones) When I slightly bend my elbow inwards I have a good enough view backwards.
I do have to tighten the bolts now and then but that's just a five minute job so I don't bother.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Here's mine. I bought it from Moto Science. I don't think those were actually made for 900SS, but they drill extra holes so that it fits ours. I like the look of original, but with this, I can actually see behind me, and I don't really like bar end mirrors, so this was the solution that I ended up with. I'd really like to see the CBR mirrors attached to the 900SS.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
What is the model number or bike ID they are used on? I'm sanding paint now and the stock ones are going. Useless.
Let me look that up when I get home, I'll get you the exact part/SKU.

EDIT: Forgot I had access to my electronic receipts here at the office. :)

Again, not cheap - they also have others (search 900SS), one of which has posts that is cheaper. But I felt the rubber boot gave it a much more finished/factory appearance. Honestly, best mod I've made in a while, they work that well. And no post monkeying, bolts right in. DISCLAIMER: Not a paid spokesman, I swear.

https://moto-science.com/products/ducati-st2-st3-st4-and-1992-1998-ducati-supersport-mirrors-52005201?pr_prod_strat=collection_fallback&pr_rec_pid=10751943107&pr_ref_pid=10752095171&pr_seq=uniform

·
Registered
782 Posts
If anyone's issue with the stock SS mirrors is their predisposition to unwanted movement, this can be helped with a bicycle carbon parts friction paste. A small amount of the paste put in the joint can help with the unwanted movement. Obviously this won't help with rear vision issues.

·
Registered
425 Posts
You’re riding a bike with a rectangular headlight and you think rubber gators on the mirrors are dated ? 😂
yes mate.....you can find non round headlights still in use on modern vehicles to this very day. But the amount of exposed rubber, especially exposed to protect a joint in a painted part...I mean.................I think this bike was the last vehicle on Earth using it!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Here's mine. I bought it from Moto Science. I don't think those were actually made for 900SS, but they drill extra holes so that it fits ours. I like the look of original, but with this, I can actually see behind me, and I don't really like bar end mirrors, so this was the solution that I ended up with. I'd really like to see the CBR mirrors attached to the 900SS.
That's the Japanese take on mirrors which I like. I think there are only 2 or 3 mirrors in use on every single Japanese bike produced today! Everytime a designer tries to incorperate mirrors into the core design, they fail. Witness the 999, and old FORD PROBE, LOL!

Your mirrors visibly vanish in my opinion, where the stock mirrors scream "Hey check out my kick ass rubber.....you like that shit bruv.....yeah REAL RUBBER THERE SON!" And that's not the point of the bikes design I dont' think

·
Registered
919 Posts
But the amount of exposed rubber, especially exposed to protect a joint in a painted part...I mean.................I think this bike was the last vehicle on Earth using it!
Not quite. Porsche and Ferrari both used them or ones just like them.

Your mirrors visibly vanish in my opinion, where the stock mirrors scream "Hey check out my kick ass rubber.....you like that shit bruv.....yeah REAL RUBBER THERE SON!" And that's not the point of the bikes design I dont' think
It was NEVER a point of design :laugh: LoL....it was a part Ducati used because it was available. Nothing more than that. Just like any of the other parts Ducati used that can be found on any number of European cars.....sean

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
OK I have now solved this issue that basically everyone said could not be solved--I wanted to keep the original mirrors on this 91 900SS as I am leaving it basically stock and wish to keep it that way--I rode home today and for the first time the mirrors stayed perfectly in place I only got up to 110 mph so at least I know to there they are fine--Here is what I did--I removed the mirrors from the bike, removed the screw that holds them together, So I am holding the ball & socket-Now I take my Dremel tool with one of their small cut off wheels and I score the ball then the socket lightly with lines from the outside edge all the way to the middle but I go slightly diagonally -did I say lightly --and I mean Very Lightly just making tiny marks but very close together all the way around the ball & socket--then reassemble make the screw that holds the assembly tight-(yes its a bitch and you have to go easy to adjust once installed)--Now the mirrors dont freeking move at speed--This solves all issues for me--keeping it original and having my mirrors function properly

·
Banned
397 Posts
My 888 has the same mirrors (Painted Red) and they suffered the same issue.

I'm not a fan of scuffing the ball in the socket because it will just do it again, only worse because you're essentially removing material, once the scuffed plastic wears off you're back where you started, only with more slop.

I found Aluminium "Shimstock" and with scissors i cut it into two small squares, then used a paper punch to make a hole in the centre of the thin aluminium square and pressed it into the disassembled socket, pushed the ball into it and reassembled it with the std screw. That pulls the assembly together and makes the mirror very resistant to moving, once set they stay put, and if i need to i can replace the aluminium shim stock and start all over again, though after about 12 years i haven't removed them once.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts