Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys I know I am not the first person with this issue--I have a 1991 900SS the original mirrors are in great condition and I dont really want to replace them -But when riding at speed they will not stay in position the want to fold back and down it's just a PITA, I'm sure with all the knowledge thats here someone can help me to get these tightened up where they will stay in place, I have already removed them and tightened up the screw on the inside. any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The hose clip idea is great. I read here on a thread to 'rough up' the swivel ball area with sandpaper; that worked for me.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I haven't tried this, but I was planning to.

Fiber Grip

This is a "grease" type product with fragments of something (plastic?) to add grip. Used for bicycles to reduce the needed clamping force on delicate carbon fiber parts. That said, the heater hose clamp trick looks pretty good, and I actually think I have a couple of those laying around.

·
Registered
668 Posts
mirrors...

use an allen head socket screw w/ washer & lock washer for the tightening screw. You can put some torque on them....

Fred

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
heater hose clamps:
PO takes credit for this one. I do not think the mirror field of view is very functional.
Ask me how I know a very closely following police car is invisible......
Sounds like you need to replace them with a pair of Honda 600 F2/3 mirrors...a little higher field of view. We used to do this back in the '90s.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No chance in hell will I put Honda mirrors on my bike lol

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Dukerdr, Are those Honda F2/3 mirrors a pure bolt on ? What years would that convert to ?
They were so close that it wasn't a big deal. We might have drilled one more hole in the Honda plate. We did 3 or 4 bikes for the older guys who needed higher mirrors.

They weren't original Honda mirrors, just Emgo copies of them. (black or faux carbon fiber) Any dealer can order them.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Matter of fact, the more I think about this, the more I want to do it to mine.

I'm ordering a set as I type this right now. I like to be able to see behind me, and I got used to good mirrors on my Mutlystrada.

I'll get carbon, 'cause I'm a poser. ;)

They're only $25.00 a pair, but you need to get the ones with the little stamped mounting plates that are separate from the mirror itself.

You can wait and see what it looks like on mine if you want.

Honda 600 F2

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Adjust mirrors as you like, scribe the plastic so you can set them BEFORE tightening the screw, remove, disassemble, scuff ball and socket with 40 grit sandpaper, clean, a drop of purple or blue Loctite on the screw, tighten slightly, adjust to your scribed line, tight fully, install, ride.

·
Señor Member
8,043 Posts
With stock mirrors I did as SP3 said, scuffed the ball and socket then used Locktite on the screw to keep it from backing out. What I finally did was removed the stock mirrors and went with large bar end mirrors so I can actually see what is behind me and not just my shoulders and elbows.

·
Excel Addict
5,082 Posts
Try a little lapping compound in the ball area just to give it some bite.
Does that make you crouch so low over the tank that you can then see in the mirrors again?

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I know any change in aesthetics is generally unwelcome, but I sort of had it with the stock mirrors. Even with the extension blocks, I was still bobbing and weaving to see what's behind me. Since most of my riding is commuting (often in decent traffic), I would rather have a good read on what's going on around me.

I bought these from Moto Science. If memory serves, they weren't cheap (I think around $100), but they are a direct fit (no post modifications), and functionally, they are amazing (just a simple glance aft now). To my aging eyes, they don't even look that bad. Not for everyone, I'm sure, but worked for me. And yes, retained the stock mirrors in the event I ever sell, which is highly unlikely. :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'm going to have to cast my vote for CRG bar ends. I have them on all my bikes even the vintage Duc and Norton. They don't "look" right especially on the vintage bikes, and the originals on the 900SS/SP are certainly much more elegant looking than the CRG's, but knowing what the cagers around me are doing in Chicago traffic is much more important to me. The CRG's are solid and don't vibrate and they give me a very wide field of view with just a quick glance. They are a bit expensive but to me it's worth it for the enhanced situational awareness they provide.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
I’ve gone to the cheap eBay bar ends on all my bikes but the SuperGlide. I had already purchased some HD long stem mirrors for it that work well. Though I’m sure the expensive ones are much nicer the cheapos work fine. For a few more bucks you can get a folding one or one with an offset stem. Even though I’ve been able to make the stock SS mirrors stay put you still can’t see around your shoulders and they vibrate. I’ve given up on them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts