Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

900ss Ignition spark advance on cranking start up

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  NoneMoreBlack 
#1 ·
Hi Guys
I have made some mods to my 2001 900ss some time ago and need to refine the ignition table. Can anyone guide me as to what should the spark advance be at cranking and start up. Currently its set to 13' advanced up to 1200RPM but it is hard to start especially when hot. When it's warm it idles beautifully.
Any suggestions.
Thanks

#4 ·
Retard the ignition timing a lot for the cranking region, say < 500rpm. You can go to 0 degrees BTDC. If your ecu allows it, you might even go to negative advance (firing after TDC). DO NOT carry these low advance values into the idle region of the map, just try to limit the low values to speeds that you'll see while cranking.

#5 ·
Oh man this thread just really helped me out. Recently swapped the exhaust on my carbie and was having some really hard starting. Figured my carbs needed a little tuning so I did that, it was improved but not a ton. Then I saw this thread and realized I hand't even looked at my advance curve in ages, so figured I'd take a gander. Turns out you were spot on, I needed to retard things as much as possible under idle. Here is my current ignitech curve for reference, just had the easiest cold start this bike has seen in ages.

Cheers to this forum being a font of knowledge as always.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.