Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm thinking to buy a 900ss i.e. to transform in a Cafe racer, but all cafe racer SS based I have seen are from old SS models (carburetors), why this?
Have you got pics of cafe racer based on SS i.e. models?

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Hello, I'm thinking to buy a 900ss i.e. to transform in a Cafe racer, but all cafe racer SS based I have seen are from old SS models (carburetors), why this?
Have you got pics of cafe racer based on SS i.e. models?
Anything is possible with enough motivation and money :cool:... But you might want to save the time and money and just buy a used 1000 Sport.

Gray

·
Registered
979 Posts
I agree. If you dont have too much experience with fabrication, I would chop up another bike. Ive seen too many SS's butchered by the cafe fad that happening right now. Although... there are some AMAZING builds on this thread.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Anything is possible with enough motivation and money :cool:... But you might want to save the time and money and just buy a used 1000 Sport.

Gray
I agree, for what it is worth. It is all personal opinion, but I think a "cafe racer" is more of the carb era bikes. The Monster and Sport are probably better bases to start doing an old school cafe racer. They are naked to start with and the IE models have ugly wiring etc.

I have a 1959 BSA that is going to be a cafe racer one day.
To me the cafe racer has a basic formula (or at least my formula)

Very large round headlight ( not like the SSie light )
4 to 5 inch speedo and tacho in your face like a Vincent.
Clipons and rearsets.
Solo humped seat.
No plastics/fairings/bellypans at all. Raw bike, not just naked!
Non stock exhaust pipes and cans in a ridiculous position that looks great but are a PITA to work with.
Looks old school.
Engine and other performance mods, otherwise it is just a cosmetic.
Any unnecessary lugs, brackets, pillion pegs etc. removed.

Finally to be really "cafe racer" wire spoked wheels, but disc brakes acceptable.

IMO, if most of the above are not met then it becomes the new age "cafe racer" aka street fighter, but the true meaning, not the Duc model.

Richard

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now, I have a 600 monster an I have experience in modifications, I'd dissasembly my monster completly. I think in the SS frame because is more horizontal than monster frame, ans i.e. model because is a cheapest than carburetor SS.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yeah an ss i.e is not the best candidate for 'cafe' style, but if you want it naked-like then doing this kind of thing is pretty easy and reversible - a little crude and sacriligious tho : )

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
No computer and less wiring on a carbed bike, which is why they are the preferred choice.

If I can strip down my 748 and make it look half decent, you can certainly get an SS to work.

It's not for the faint of heart though, and requires some serious thought and ingenuity to do right. Otherwise you end up with that 'thing' in the post above lol.

If I were going to do it all over again I'd probably use a SS instead. Good luck with the project!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yeah an ss i.e is not the best candidate for 'cafe' style, but if you want it naked-like then doing this kind of thing is pretty easy and reversible - a little crude and sacriligious tho : )

That's actually pretty effing cool.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Yeah, I freaking love this "thing." True, it's not a cafe, but the owner never intended it to be that. I think the lines look awesome and has a very cohesive look to it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I like it too. I have a SS900 that I want to do something similar. How did you handle moving the coils?

·
Registered
445 Posts
If I can strip down my 748 and make it look half decent, you can certainly get an SS to work...
I've seen your 748 'cafe', haven't seen anything 'half decent' about it tho - HA!

If you think the streetfighter job I did on the SS looks bad in the pic above you shoulda seen it before I painted it:

Actually, I kinda liked it when it was yellow too - totally hideous but kind of fun and a startling poke in the boring eye of the purist/poseur ducati norm...

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
It looks a million times better from that angle when you can see the whole thing sitting at normal ride height. It's like a completely different bike.

I gotta say I stand corrected a misjudged it big time. It looks very well proportioned and pretty damn sleek.

The all black pic to me still just looks cluttered, but maybe that's because its tied down and everything is so close together or bad angle or something.

Didn't mean to insult, guess I did come off pretty harsh lol. I'm glad you threw that second pic up though. Set me straight with that one for sure.

·
Registered
445 Posts
It looks a million times better from that angle when you can see the whole thing sitting at normal ride height. It's like a completely different bike.

I gotta say I stand corrected a misjudged it big time. It looks very well proportioned and pretty damn sleek.

The all black pic to me still just looks cluttered, but maybe that's because its tied down and everything is so close together or bad angle or something.

Didn't mean to insult, guess I did come off pretty harsh lol. I'm glad you threw that second pic up though. Set me straight with that one for sure.
Well thx for the apology/compliments but it really was no biggee, everyone's taste differs... case in point I think the bloody thing actually looks much better in that first shot (HA!) and ultimately I was planning to do this to it, which I'm sure lots of people would hate : )

Oh and thx to you others for the compliments too, it was a really fun little project and I really liked the end result , which is all that really matters, but thx anyway.

Sorry to thread jack... didn't mean to do that, back to 'cafe' i.e. SS'...

The bike below is my favorite SS cafe job ever, it's a carby bike but same could be done to an i.e. - the carby gas tank drops right on to an i.e. frame, no problem. This bike/look incorporates a significantly modified carby tank tho:

Would take Lots of $$$$/time/effort to make one as refined as the above bikes tho I think.

Here's some other SS i.e. cafe jobs I quite like:

Some more cafe inspiration here: -- Hot Cafe Racers - Speed Freak's

·
Registered
222 Posts
The bike below is my favorite SS cafe job ever, it's a carby bike but same could be done to an i.e. - the carby gas tank drops right on to an i.e. frame, no problem. This bike/look incorporates a significantly modified carby tank tho:

[/url]
Now that's just freakin' HOT.

·
Registered
99 Posts

I'm not a fan of naked/non-fairinged bikes but that's pretty nice.

·
Registered
164 Posts

+1 I would like to see this with a after market belly pan that covers less.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts