Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Getting closer to cranking the engine back to life, after almost 2 years. Refurbishing a 1979 Series III Land Rover was a cheaper and easier task:))

I have a question: my oem clutch slave (first from the left, in the pics), was leaking, seals were bad inside, so i ordered a slave repair kit (19520023B). Now, the metal bush that came with the kit has a different seat than what i had in the bike, plus, my slave also had this weird-looking rubber seal(see pics).

I also managed to produce a used 999 slave. It fits perfectly, but it has a different design. I will open it up (12 tooth M22 key, btw) and i was wondering if the kit would work on the 999 slave.
Can i switch the slaves, are they the same, will it work? These new gen slaves are standard on 1000 i.e, Monster 900 i.e. 2002 and many other bikes from the period.

I know, Oberon, Evo, they are all the best, but this is a budget build, i want to get the bike working first, then worry about a little oil on my left ankle.

Many thanks,
Mihai

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
No the new style slave piston is completely different inside so you cannot use the replacement piston on it. The later slave might work but you would need a different pushrod as well.

I have the same replacement piston and it should work fine in your old slave. The seal and piston is a slightly different design but should swap out. You can also just buy the replacement seal for your old piston for short money as the piston does not really wear much.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Also, make sure the bore is in decent shape. If it's excessively scored or oxidized, the new o'ring may not seal well.

BTW, I don't believe the newer style ones are meant to be dismantled. You might destroy it trying. I think there's a permanent adhesive on that big 12 pt. insert.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Yeah, don't bother taking apart the new slave cylinder. Just run it. It'll be fine. You'll need a later pushrod to work with the later slave cylinder. Later pushrods are longer than the early ones.

·
Registered
879 Posts
The rubber bellows you show was used with the original slave to keep the pushrod area clean. It doesn't fit / isn't used with most aftermarket slaves, and it doesn't look like it would fit with the new one in your picture.

·
Registered
2000 M900Sie, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille-R, 2x 1981Guzzi Monzas, IWL Pity, Piaggio Hexagon, PX Vespa
525 Posts
Use the later Slaver cylinder. dont mess with it! DUCVET is right the pushrod is a different length but if you drop an 8mm Ball bearing in to the bore of the slave cylinder it with work just fine. That IS the budget answer.

Chris

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, really helpful, as always, this forum remains the best source of Ducati info out there. My dealer had no idea what to say, btw:))
I will go for the oem slave, considering i already invested in the new piston, i will also order the shaft boot, and see what happens.
Thank again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts