Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdo!!!

Has any one upgraded the front end on a carby 900ss with newer forks? Intrested in Ohlins front forks with mono-block calipers. Is it possible to fit the forks from an 848/1098/Aprillia? Or is the headstock on the carby frame to small to accomadate the bearings??
I see Muschi has fitted what looks like a 1098 front end (looks V nice) Any info most welcome.

Cheers Pablo

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
i had a custom stem and upper bridge made, take a look at the build topic
in the sport classic section of this board, where i have some pictures of
the parts posted.
you should find it easy with the search button, "Ducati mh1000u, naked
custom" is the thread title.

cheers.

( i am outside in the moment, preparing for Tüv inspection, that hurts )

:think:

·
Registered
278 Posts
My 1995 SS/SP has the 3-way adjustable from a newer Monster bike. The calipers then came from an ST series. The forks then had the Gold valve innards installed for an ohlins exact operation with a spring to match my weight. Or so I am told. I just know that my entire suspension feels perfect. The forks just have to have the same clamp (triple) mounting diameter upper and lower. The length can be longer on the replacement fork as they then just extend farther up the top triple clamp. The only thing about the disc caliper is the mounting spacing needs to be matched. It was easier and less complicated than I thought it would be.

Basically I bought a fork that I thought would be an upgrade to a 3-way adjustable for my damping only ST3 stock forks but the new ones were too short at 28.75". The ST3 needs 30" forks so I made them fit the SP.

The new fork clamped in the triple and were the same length so I just bolted them in. I traded my dealer the stock calipers from the SP for ones from an ST even up and they fit just right. EBC rotors went on the new rims and viola, an entire new front suspension. I am happy.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I tried Lindeman springs and valving in my stock 1997 SS/SP forks. While it was an improvement, I wanted something better so I went with a pair of forks off a Ducati 996 superbike with springs and Goldvalves for my weight. You need:

1. the forks (ebay?)
2. top triple clamp (CycleCat made beautiful ones and there are still some around) and shims for stock SS bottom clamp.
3. superbike calipers since the old caliper spacing is wrong (65 mm vs 40 mm I think)
4. new brake lines (I bought Galfer)
5. new handlebars (old ones won't work and superbike bars don't fit). I bought CycleCat bars and risers.
6. shim and new axle nut for front wheel (or superbike speedo drive, axle and wheel bearings).
7. new front fender (stock fender won't bolt on).

I think that's all as I remember:think:. It was quite a bit of $ but the results were great!
Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts