Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I had seen a 900SS up in New Hampshire with a steering head that had been modified to take rake out of the front and decrease trail. I rode this bike and I really liked the result of the modification.
Question: Does anyone know of a good person that might tackle a job like this in Connecticut? I have a spare frame that would be great for a project like this.

Joe

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
i think you could achieve similar results with using the fork tripples
of a ducati superbike, they have got a bigger off-set which will re-
sult in a shorter front wheel trail also.
if you lift up the rear of the bike with using a longer shock, or have
the fork tubes pushed up by 5mm, you will increase steerability too.

cheers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steering

I did both of those things. I have a ride height adjuster, added about an inch of ride height. Also dropped the forks as much as I dare and still maintain clearance between fender and triple clamp at full bump. It still steers like a train. I took the advice of the gentleman at Cogent Dynamics and mounted a 120-70 front tire instead of the stock 120-60 tire size. This oobviously does not help achieve the result I am after :)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Try Michelin Race tires, they turn in very fast.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Toro, How much have you raised the rear of the bike? Getting the CG up makes the bike turn better so I do not like to drop the front too much. If you want to quicken the steering geometry, I would suggest that you use a longer offset triple clamp. I know that some racers were doing that by adapting 748 clamps using converter bushings, a much simpler project than the frame mods but perhaps not as interesting.

·
Registered
32 Posts
One of the tricks is the use of the monster triples. I think I will go the Attack triples with adjustable offset, just because they look cool and have great workmanship.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts