Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 900SS FE from a guy who owned it for the last 15 years. He put around 1000 miles on it and it now has a little over 4000 miles total. Been stored in a garage it’s whole life but very little to no maintenance has been performed besides changing oil and filter. Fuel tank is gummed up from old gas (but not rusted), carbs will need a go through, needs fork seals, belts, brake fluid flush, tires, etc. everything you would expect for a bike that’s been ridden only a few miles a year. Body in nice shape with only a minor crack on the left side fairing where the support bar touches it and a tiny ding in gas tank where the horn button hit it. Bike fell over in the garage. I’m thinking I can go through it and do everything needed for around $700. What do you think the bike would be worth in it’s current condition and after I go through and service it? It’s all stock with the exception of Staintune chrome exhaust, which I believe are just slip ons.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
value is up to how many people want one when you're trying to sell it. very low demand for a very specific model, but you only need one person who really wants it.

i'd say it's worth about what you paid for it, and any money you put in to it will increase it's value by about 50 to 100% of the money you spend.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
How do you feel about the price you paid for it and what you say you need to put into it?

How much will you ride it while you have it?

I have NEVER made money on a motorcycle I sold.
I always do maintenance and upkeep on them like I am going to keep them forever, but my average lately is 2 years. (This year is really bringing my average down LOL)

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I would only worry about value if you bought it with the intent of flipping other.
Otherwise ride it and enjoy it.

P.S. It is a nice looking bike.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Paid $2000 for it and figure I’ll need to put $700 or so into it to get it back to top running condition. Might just need to keep this one and ride it a bit, at least until the wife catches on and says I don’t need to have two bikes. I expect I’ll be able to get my money back and then some when I decide to sell it.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Since it is a rare bike, when you sell it advertise it nationally, and by all means advertise it on Ducati websites such as this one. Considering the price you paid, if you don’t find anything serious wrong that requires more cash I think you’ll make money on it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Paid $2000 for it and figure I’ll need to put $700 or so into it to get it back to top running condition. Might just need to keep this one and ride it a bit, at least until the wife catches on and says I don’t need to have two bikes. I expect I’ll be able to get my money back and then some when I decide to sell it.
Heck, for $2000 its a keeper. You got the deal, and a good running 900 is worth all of what your paid for it, and your freshen up $$.

Rarely does one ever makes $$ on selling a bike.
Any decent Carby should go for $3500.
If no one meets that price, then park it and try again later.

Looks like staintunes on that bike. Mine had a set until my father in law took my bike for a ride; great look.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Take your time with it, keep it as original as possible, and put it up for sale in the spring.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I probably won’t be in a hurry to sell it considering how much I’ll have in it after I get it back in top shape. I’ll take my time on it. Haven’t heard staintunes before but I figure they have to sound pretty nice. It’s not as rare a bike as my Colin Edwards Replica Aprilia but hey, it’s a Ducati and they are hard to beat.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Rare and in demand are two wildly different things.

Just like selling or buying on eBay.
Whenever you want an item, then so does everyone else.
Whenever you are selling no one wants it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts