Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

81 - 100 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
My SS/Fe

Bought mine this winter. Really liiked the look of the CR, but didn't like all the stuff that was lower spec than the SS, so I sset out looking for an SS. Very long story, but I bought the bike sight unseen from a 100 miles or so away in Pa. Wasn't til I went there with a trailer that I saw it had a CR fairing installed. Stock SS fairing was included.
Has a sticker from a bike shop in Cal under the seat. No idea where the bke started or how many owners its had (at least 3).
So far, I've done a bunch of minor mods. Just finished a 2,200 mile/8 day trip to North Carolina. Only had 500 of my own miles on the bike bike before I left.
Bike ran flawlessly.
I am a lucky guy.
#227 on the top clamp.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bought mine this winter. Really liiked the look of the CR, but didn't like all the stuff that was lower spec than the SS, so I sset out looking for an SS. Very long story, but I bought the bike sight unseen from a 100 miles or so away in Pa. Wasn't til I went there with a trailer that I saw it had a CR fairing installed. Stock SS fairing was included.
Has a sticker from a bike shop in Cal under the seat. No idea where the bke started or how many owners its had (at least 3).
So far, I've done a bunch of minor mods. Just finished a 2,200 mile/8 day trip to North Carolina. Only had 500 of my own miles on the bike bike before I left.
Bike ran flawlessly.
I am a lucky guy.
#227 on the top clamp.
I never saw an FE with a CR fairing on it before. It looks gorgeous!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Got #299 Monday

The semi from Long Island, NY, pulled up in front of my house in Jackson Hole, WY with SS/FE #299 aboard. Needless to say I was excited, especially after paying for it a month ago! Been title-ing, licensing, polishing, doing the usual maintenance stuff, and sorting some minor issues out, but overall it's a great bike. Only has 7600 miles! Pics to follow (when I get a chance; too busy riding and working on her).

·
Registered
223 Posts
1998 900fe.

Here's my FE. Currently tucked up in bed away from all the road salt :)!

Regards,
Richie.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes indeed! She's still silver on the inside though, literally! I don't know why she was painted red but that's how I bought her.

I have a couple of magazine articles where the original owner (a bike journo) reviewed his own bike and the bike was certainly silver then!

R.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Now that's an unusual FE color!
Maybe a PO painted it red but there was also a report that the UK importer painted a batch Red before selling so perhaps it's one of those. Either way, looks good in red!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thanks 944SS! It was lust at first sight for me! I didn't know it was an FE when I bought it. It was only after I'd sent the frame & engine number off to Ducati UK that it was confirmed as a '98 FE.

There were a batch of red bikes imported to the UK, you're right although I don't think mine is one of them. The original owner (who I tracked down and contacted) has given me all the history on the bike whilst he owned it. He bought the bike in silver and I have the original receipt of purchase, service book and key which is a result! He owned the bike for the first 6,000 miles and I took ownership with the bike showing 6,700 miles. So sometime during the 700 miles inbetween, somebody did the paint job, (for reasons best known to themselves!)

I love the bike in red although had I had the machine in its original silver, I would not have changed it. That makes no sense. If you want red, buy an SS or SL...

Maybe at some stage, I'll return it to its original silver but there are a few things to do first. I still need to assemble the rear brake torque arm, most of which I have and replace the rear hugger for a carbon fibre unit. Again I don't know why but the bike currently has a standard 750SS hugger on it.

Otherwise, I'm pleased as punch with the FE. The bike has ridden all over France and Spain and never missed a beat. If I could just add a red 998S to the stable at some stage, life would be complete!!! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
#15. I owned a few '95 SS-SPs and a CR or two. Fell in love with the FE the moment I first laid eyes on it back in '98. Elegant industrial art that stirs my bones at 80mph like nothing else I've ever ridden.

·
Registered
662 Posts
#15. I owned a few '95 SS-SPs and a CR or two. Fell in love with the FE the moment I first laid eyes on it back in '98. Elegant industrial art that stirs my bones at 80mph like nothing else I've ever ridden.
Welcome back aboard #15!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks!

My situation these days probably translates into probably only about 2k miles a year will go on the clock (6,200 at present). That said, what a grand two-thousand miles they will be! :D

Now, if I could just hook up with a fellow air-cooled Super Sport pal in my area for a few Sunday rides! Anyone near Frederick, Maryland?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here is a pic of my old one.Sold it about three years ago to a guy in Tipperary.Unfortunately I cant remember the number although I may have a record somewhere. One Hundred and fifty something I think.:confused:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lovely photo. I've been to Northern Ireland and can say it's the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen.

Were those the stock pipes? I may just have to core mine and put them back on. They really look sweet with the lines/color of the FE, IMHO!

·
Registered
322 Posts
#287, love this bike, can ride all day.21000 miles.ducati performance carbon bodywork,corbin seat, fcr41mm,ferracci cans, rearsets, gets 60 plus mpg.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Nice FE on fleabay at $3550 now. 1728 mi.:eek:! I don't think the price will stay there for long. I have no connection, although I wish I had bought it, instead of my #299. It'll be interesting to see what it goes for. Anyone want to trade a set of stock FE cans for some perfect Ducati Performance carbon fiber ones? I'm trying for all original.

81 - 100 of 118 Posts