Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
passed up the CR

I passed up the CR. I figured if I'm going to buy an SS it's gotta be an SP or FE (can't afford the superlight). The SP had the wider rear wheel, full fairing ect... Getting the CR would be settling in my opinion. Anyways I bought a 2001 Derbi GPR 50R with title and papers. Better yet I registered it! And no I didn't bribe anyone. I got it for a good price and it's rare. Not a practical machine especially for highway use. However it's different, and that is what attracts me to Ducati's as well. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jetting

I did install a Dyno Jet kit last weekend. The bike runs much better in all conditions except under 3000 rpm. It still surges on decel and steady speed. But it runs cleanly and much smoother on accel and above 3 grand. Yes the carbs are synced with mercury sticks. I guess it's just the way it is. My 02 Vstrom surges if the rpms get too low in a higher gear. I've ajusted the fuel mixture on that also as it was much worse. Does anybody know of any other fixes for this? Makes it hard to ride in on the slow roads. I've tried to put the pictures up but to no avail. Sorry.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow!... the paint looks really fresh. Mine has dulled and the c/f front fender actually looks stained or hazy, most likely from UV exposure. It's at the painter's now - hoping he can put a fresh clear coat on it to brighten it up.

Nice bike! Congrats.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have the opportunity to purchase a 98 900SSFE. It is all original from the original owner with 11k and in almost mint condition......
You weren't kidding about the condition. This one is sawweeeettt!! All original too 'cept for the tinted screen.

·
Registered
69 Posts
#280. Just picked her up from the original owner. 817 original miles on her. Well, that is until this past weekend. Now 1020 miles. FBF Forza carbon fiber pipes, jet kit, open airbox, othewise stock.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
#280. Just picked her up from the original owner. 817 original miles on her. Well, that is until this past weekend. Now 1020 miles. FBF Forza carbon fiber pipes, jet kit, open airbox, othewise stock.

Congrats! Pics????????????????

·
Registered
69 Posts
Photos of my new family member...

Finally figured out the photo upload on the forum. It is amazing what you can learn when you read the instructions. Changed all fluids, adjusted the carbs and I've added some miles, up to 1120. Thinking about a vented clutch cover... so many choices.

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
Nice bike! That's quite a find you made there. Always the curious one, what's the story behind a 817 mile 1998 FE? Nice to see you plan on riding it a bunch too. Ride'em don't hide'm!

·
Registered
69 Posts
The story is a true tale of love and woe. The bike was originally purchased as a leftover model in 2000. It sat unwanted (don't hate me because i'm not red... silver is a faster color anyway...) in the showroom until the gleeming silver paint caught the eye of the original owner. It was a gift from a wife to her husband. Shortly after getting the bike there was a knee injury which prevented him from riding it. Two surgeries and some years later he still was not able to bend his knee enough to ride it. The man is now preparing to retire and move to the country. He had decided to liquidate some of his toys. I saw an ad posted on (shameless plug for my favorite classified website) craigslist.org. I contacted the owner and explained that I had been lusting after a FE for the past 10 years. The economy (and a wife who will not allow me to have 3 bikes at once) was preventing me from buying it outright but I had a BMW to offer up in trade. The gentleman was not interested in the Beemer but suggested that I should call him if I was able to sell it. I immediately put the BMW up for sale on every classified website I could find. A week and a half later (another shameless plug for craigslist.org) I sold the BMW and called the man to see if he still had the FE. He did and he happened to be going in to his shop where the bike was stored the next day. So, the next day the wife and I drove up to check the bike out. As we pulled into his parking lot, I swear a beam of sunlight shone down on the FE and the reflection from the gleeming silver paint made my decision before I ever sat on the bike or started the motor. An hour and a half and much good conversation later we loaded the bike up in the truck and returned home.

·
Registered
662 Posts
The story is a true tale of love and woe.......An hour and a half and much good conversation later we loaded the bike up in the truck and returned home.
I love a story with a happy ending! I does amaze me how many bikes are bought and not used out there for all sorts of different reasons. Glad it worked out for you.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
i was going to keep quiet until john said that they were special. #259 is in detroit with 7.7K on the clock. gia-ca-moto slip-ons, penske shock, airbox/powerjet. competition accessories owned it, thence to the mayor of centerville, then me.
Just reporting an ownership change. (Thanks again, Tim!) Mileage up to 10,100 or so now. Took her out for a little romp this afternoon on the pot hole strewn and frost heave compromised roads of SE Michigan. The suspension really handles the pavement noise well.

Currently, the FE is my only street bike, so it will be pulling some commuting duty in additional to weekend warrior chores. As soon as the Multistrada returns from its (now 4 month) stay at the dealer, the FE will likely become the special occasion/backup horse. But it is such a blast to ride I'm not sure I'll be able to park it for long...

With the mods already done on this bike, it really needs nothing. Only thing I'm considering is some bar end mirrors so that I can see something other than my fists.

61 - 80 of 118 Posts