Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Since it's mostly FE owners in this thread, I was wondering if any of you would rather have a Superlight than your FE? The Superlights are arguably more collectible (at least at this point in time, but I think the difference will tighten up with time) but the FE's benefit from the evolutionary changes that seem to address most of the shortcomings of the earlier bikes and make it a better riding, more reliable machine.
Tough call... like you say, the FE has benefited from the years of refinement. It's basically a more modern superlight, except for the SL's Marvic/Akront wheels... which definitely do it for me. So if I had my choice, and was sure of the condition of the SL, I might go for it instead of my FE. But I'm very happy with the FE - I like the understated Silver and minimal graphics.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Since it's mostly FE owners in this thread, I was wondering if any of you would rather have a Superlight than your FE?
I'd say the '92/'93 Superlights will be the most collectible of '90s SSs. Somewhat limited production with distinguishing bits (hi-mounts, Marvics, mono posto, vented clutch cover) and being early in the model's production runs are typically attributes making it more valuable. Thus you get the '72 Z Stripe 750 Sport more valuable that the '73 and '74 Sports, the '75 900SS more valuable than the later models.

I don't think the refinement of the FEs adds collectibility value at all although it does make it more reliable and rideable. The FEs will be somewhat unique and rare making them more desireable as collectables but no where near as much as the SLs.

One item that will detract from the SL is the curious Ducati model naming protocol. In North America, the SLs were clearly labeled as only a '92 build, '93 model bike, yellow, with the typical SL goodies. In later years, the name went to SS/SP. For the rest of the world, the name Superlight survived for three more years but without the bling.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Fe #263, and #471 (I think)

Hey there-

Two of 'em in my garage:

My wife's (471) is a Toronto bike now here in the West. It has a longer shock from a contemporary fuelie, FBFerraci CF slip ons and CF pipe hangers, open clutch cover and pressure plate- stainless springs, CRG bar end mirrors, Anodized fork adjusters, Evo slave, braided brake & clutch lines, CF heel guards, billet pegs, anodized gas cap fitting, K&N and open air box, jetted (stage 1), Metzler M3s, 39 tooth rear sprocket, CF tank protector, 1098 rear turn signals. Lots of red bits to go with the silver.

Mine (263) is from California via Seattle and now here in the West. It has a DB smoke screen, billet fork adjusters, CRG bar ends, braided brake and clutch lines, CF runner intakes (!), custom valve covers with slots, clutch press plate- springs- CF cover, Cycle Cat rear sets, Lovely set of Staintunes, CF chain guard, 39 tooth rear and 14 tooth front sprockets, Yoyodyne slave, Metzeler M3s, flush mount rear signals, silicone cranckcase breather hose, fuelie shock, racetech fork springs. Lots of gold bits (faster than red!) to highlight the silver.

Photos to follow.

·
Registered
195 Posts
FE: more than a pretty carbie

Funny thing about the SL/FE debate. I think the SLs are special, and if I were to have a Supersport on a stand somewhere with floodlights on it and a sign under it, it would be an SL. But if I was going to ride the thing.... well:

The North American FE has the Terblanche fuelie's engine with carbs. Nikosil coated cylinder liners, harder cams and valve seats, etc. and better ignition and improved electricals. So it more than benefits from the refinement of the carbie years, but really is the new generation 900 engine- carbed. I like carbs and can say from experience that the carbeurated one runs better than the first generation fuel injected version. And of course the frame welds don't crack at the headstock. Throw in the fully floating, larger, non-stainless discs and its a better platform to throw sintered pads, braided lines, and modern rubber on than the SL.

So for me, a yellow SL in the living room and a silver FE in the garage. Ten years from now, the knowledgeable collector who wants to ride his treasure should choose the FE. The SL will still be better for the livingroom. And remember- there are only 300 of these FEs. The European ones have the old engine!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: # 263 & #471

Well, I would like to comment on my significant other's comments about the gold vs. the red....my bike is faster and smoother than his....he is jealous! Why else would he always say, "wanna switch bikes for awhile?".... Ya sure!

And by the way, the red accents are sweet!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Competitive...yes

Senior Member - Junior Member...absolutely.

However, this Junior Member is hands on with her bike. I do my own belt changes and adjustments, sprocket change etc. I am delighted to be a "grease wench"...if you're going to own one, you have to learn how to keep it running...much less on the freaking road!

This is my first Duc and V-twin! I am absolutely in love with my bike and appreciate all the help and guidance I am fortunate enough to receive from the "Seniors"!

·
Registered
662 Posts

However, this Junior Member is hands on with her bike. I do my own belt changes and adjustments, sprocket change etc. I am delighted to be a "grease wench"...if you're going to own one, you have to learn how to keep it running...much less on the freaking road!

This is my first Duc and V-twin! I am absolutely in love with my bike and appreciate all the help and guidance I am fortunate enough to receive from the "Seniors"!
Sort of like the Ducati FE version of "War of the Roses" then? I'll keep me and my FE on this side of Georgia Straight, well out of the way....although I can't seem to get the "grease wench" visual out of my mind.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Do you have any sisters?! :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
What's is worth nowadays

I have the opportunity to purchase a 98 900SSFE. It is all original from the original owner with 11k and in almost mint condition. What would be a fair price? Comes with a factory manual also. I would appreciate any advise any of you can give me. It's #203

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I have the opportunity to purchase a 98 900SSFE. It is all original from the original owner with 11k and in almost mint condition. What would be a fair price? Comes with a factory manual also. I would appreciate any advise any of you can give me. It's #203

I say $6k is a fair price. If you can buy it for much less than that it's a good deal. If you have to a pay $6500 and the bike is exceptionally nice then I'd go for it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
VMan's numbers make sense to me. The "all original" from the original owner is a nice plus for sure. I'd imagine you'd aslo have a "Maui premium" to factor in. If you've been looking for a nice FE it would be ashame to loose it over a few dollars so don't be shy. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking to get onto a 1996 900 SS CR

Hey guys. I'm new to this site. Looking at a '96 900 SS CR with 4,500 miles. Typical wear: minor scuffs on left hand side fairing, and tweeked clutch lever. Older guy owns the bike who happens to be the first owner. He changed all fluids, belts, tires and chain plus tune up. Totally stock bike with clear title. I can get the bike for $2,400. Now being a Ducati salesman myself I expect to get the best deal. I don't come across many older supersports. I've seen mostly 999's and 748's come in on trade recently. Is this a good deal? Figured you guys would have great input because you probably know Super Sport's better than me. This would be my first Ducati. I attached the pics. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Hey guys. I'm new to this site. Looking at a '96 900 SS CR with 4,500 miles. Typical wear: minor scuffs on left hand side fairing, and tweeked clutch lever. Older guy owns the bike who happens to be the first owner. He changed all fluids, belts, tires and chain plus tune up. Totally stock bike with clear title. I can get the bike for $2,400. Now being a Ducati salesman myself I expect to get the best deal. I don't come across many older supersports. I've seen mostly 999's and 748's come in on trade recently. Is this a good deal? Figured you guys would have great input because you probably know Super Sport's better than me. This would be my first Ducati. I attached the pics. Thanks!

Ordinarily I would be inclined to hold out for an SS/SP, but for that price on such a low miles, late CR, I'd say jump all over it, and quick! If you like the full fairing you can always buy it used off Ebay. If you want an SS/SP and find one later, I think you could sell the CR almost immediately for what you paid for it, if not more.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Ordinarily I would be inclined to hold out for an SS/SP, but for that price on such a low miles, late CR, I'd say jump all over it, and quick! If you like the full fairing you can always buy it used off Ebay. If you want an SS/SP and find one later, I think you could sell the CR almost immediately for what you paid for it, if not more.
+1 :think:

Although I would also still wait for a SS/SP. There is a very nice '92 SS here for $3500. Well worth the extra grand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Now a member!

VMan's numbers make sense to me. The "all original" from the original owner is a nice plus for sure. I'd imagine you'd aslo have a "Maui premium" to factor in. If you've been looking for a nice FE it would be ashame to loose it over a few dollars so don't be shy. Good luck!
Well I'm proud to say that I will be taking possession of the machine tomorrow. Is there some things I should look for? Are there known weaknesses in these? In case it does show we're talking about a 98 900SSFE.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Congrats Ducativan! :D

Post a picture of her when you get her home.

Well I'm proud to say that I will be taking possession of the machine tomorrow. Is there some things I should look for? Are there known weaknesses in these? In case it does show we're talking about a 98 900SSFE.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Very nice, welcome aboard! No serious "gotchas" on the FE. Throw in some fresh fuel and charge the battery and away you go. The FEs are nicely sorted out from the factory. Mind you, lots of mods and improvements you can make but that's for another day. :)

41 - 60 of 118 Posts