Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
im thinking of having a look at this...
can any FE people comment on the price etc?
what would you offer if everything with the bike appears kosher?
I'd think that's a pretty reasonable asking price for a well maintained low miler. Of course if you intend to actually ride the thing the value of a low miler will quickly disappear. No aftermarket bits are visible which does dampen my enthusiasm somewhat; especially no slip-ons. On the other hand, putting away all the stock parts might make you a hero in some collector's eyes 30 years hence.

Picking it up for under $5K would be a deal. Anything under $6K is reasonable.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'd think that's a pretty reasonable asking price for a well maintained low miler. Of course if you intend to actually ride the thing the value of a low miler will quickly disappear. No aftermarket bits are visible which does dampen my enthusiasm somewhat; especially no slip-ons. On the other hand, putting away all the stock parts might make you a hero in some collector's eyes 30 years hence.

Picking it up for under $5K would be a deal. Anything under $6K is reasonable.
thanks for the info bro !
Quick aside..i lived in north van for a couple of years (98-00) , beautiful part of the world ,did some of the best motorcycling and bicycling of my life !! Sure do miss the mtns sometimes ....Hope youre not flooded !!

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
#181 in Connecticut, USA

I only bought mine last year... couldn't pass it up as it has been on my short list of favorite bikes for a long time (and the good deal didn't hurt either).

It has high compr. pistons, FCR's, Ferracci pipes, and I recently upgraded the brake lines, replaced the chain and shortened the gearing a bit. Great bike, great sound... just love it.

Hey Scott---You need to run up here to Lebanon to see my 998 Bayliss. I'm right on Rte. 87 and I HAVE BEER.

·
Registered
662 Posts
thanks for the info bro !
Quick aside..i lived in north van for a couple of years (98-00) , beautiful part of the world ,did some of the best motorcycling and bicycling of my life !! Sure do miss the mtns sometimes ....Hope youre not flooded !!
No problem, lots of free opinions where that one came from :)
Yep, gobs of rain over an unusually large amount of snow in these parts, almost as annoying as the people whining about it.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
im thinking of having a look at this

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/969839549.html

can any FE people comment on the price etc?
what would you offer if everything with the bike appears kosher?
I'd offer $6k and see if that buys it, provided the bike is as-advertised. If you had to pay $6500 to get it I'd still buy the bike. Even if you put 20k miles on it the bike will still be worth $5,000-5,500. If you really want one of these bikes it's best not to be petty over $500. It will be the best decision you ever made!

·
Registered
106 Posts

Slightly modified.

I bought it new in 1999. Sold it in 2003(?) due to tough times. Tracked it down and bought it back in 2006 for about the same money after someone else paid for all the mods. :D I've added some since the photo was taken as well. I'm on the hunt for a 99-up SS Ohlins R&T fork so I can mount up some later model magnesium marchesinis I have sitting around.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey Scott---You need to run up here to Lebanon to see my 998 Bayliss. I'm right on Rte. 87 and I HAVE BEER.
Ya know, I'm trying to deal with Bayliss's passing from my racing world... telling myself, "Haga's great. You like Haga. You've always liked Haga. It'll all be fine." Now a damn Bayliss replica right down the road!?! Oh, the pain of it all.... ;) I'm not sure how many are out there, but I've seen one on Rt 20 going over Barkhamstead Res. Possibly you?

We'll have to get together for a spin.... Funny, I've said that a couple of times this winter to some locals on this forum - hope it happens, since my riding was severly curtailed last season with my 2 little guys in the house.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My Carbon FE

Carbon faired front and back, clutch covr. I like it.

S

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wanna part wit it? My FE needs company and all it has is a Commando, R90S and DBD34.

S

·
Registered
102 Posts
Guy I bought it from already put em on. Don't know. They work well.

S

·
Registered
31 Posts
Another FE

#273, originally purchased in Richmond, VA. Owner and wife each purchased one. Came into my hands in May 2004. Only ridden on the Blue Ridge Parkway (owners lived just off the parkway) until I bought it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Any of you FE owners that have upgraded to a corbin want to sell your old seat? I still need one for my project. PM me with a price if you have one. Thanks.
The originals aren't available anymore from Ducati, so I doubt someone will want to give one up, unless they've totally given up keeping the bike original, or at least able to be easily returned to original. When I was exploring getting a second set of bodywork to paint red, one of the bodywork supplies was also selling a reproduction seat for the FE/Superlight. If I can find it I'll pass it along. You might be able to borrow an FE seat and send it to Sargent or one of other seat makers and see if they'll duplicate it for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine is number 27. Located near Arnhem, Holland. I'm the third owner. Originally sold in germany. I have imported it to Holland!

Nice lucas rear sets, Dynojetkit and open K&N airfilter and a lot of carbon fiber. Next thing will be a tangentiaal header set and open mufflers.

In Holland this is a very rare bike! You only see the normal Superlights and SuperSports over here.

I previously owend a 600SS and two 750SS.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Would you rather have a Superlight than your FE?

Since it's mostly FE owners in this thread, I was wondering if any of you would rather have a Superlight than your FE? The Superlights are arguably more collectible (at least at this point in time, but I think the difference will tighten up with time) but the FE's benefit from the evolutionary changes that seem to address most of the shortcomings of the earlier bikes and make it a better riding, more reliable machine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Since it's mostly FE owners in this thread, I was wondering if any of you would rather have a Superlight than your FE? The Superlights are arguably more collectible (at least at this point in time, but I think the difference will tighten up with time) but the FE's benefit from the evolutionary changes that seem to address most of the shortcomings of the earlier bikes and make it a better riding, more reliable machine.
I was looking for a Superlight, but than run into a FE. Here in Holland I only saw one other FE. The Superlight series you see more often. So for me the FE is a more collectible bike. That's why I bought it.

21 - 40 of 118 Posts