Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some questions about exhuast pipes.

When I bought my bike it had D&D slip-ons. Here it is the day I bought it.

Some time later, during my rehab of the bike, I had FBF slip-ons put on. I believe part of the pipe system is different now than before. Here it is now for comparison sake.

My questions center on the header pipes themselves. Look at the first picture, the one with D&Ds, I believe this system did not use a collector but rather had two distinct pipes coming off the heads that went back to the slip-ons. I don't believe these pipes ever connected into anything before splitting again. I think they ran off the head and then straight back to a muffler. Now that it has the FBF pipes it does have that collector thing before splitting off into two pipes again that the slip-ons connect to with springs.

What I mean by collector can be seen here, it's that diamond shaped part where the pipes meet. I don't believe that the D&D system used that but the FBF one does.

Am I correct in this? That one system used a collector and the other did not? I kind of thought all the systems used that collector. Are there any advantages to using the collector vs. not?

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
The old system looks like a custom 2 into 2 system, and the replacement is the oem header pipes with the new mufflers. The first system might make more peak hp at the expense of a flat torque curve, and the second would have a nice flat torque curve but be much more restrictive. I'm having a friend make a custom 2 into 1 system with a carbon fiber muffler from Carbon Partz:
http://www.carbonpartz.net/id94.html

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The first system looks like a copy of the spaghetti system that Termi. made for the 900s.They made a little bit more top end power but the tradeoff was the low and midrange torque is less.For street riding the stock header is the way to go.

·
Registered
134 Posts
agreed. I think the earlier set-up was a free-er breathing system that would work well in the upper rev range. do you still have the older system ?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Looks like it had better clearance as well. I'm about to remove my collector and weld in a more free flowing set-up and more clearance as well. Also trying to get the pipe length same or very close to identical... I'll post up pix once done....

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes

To answer your question, yes, I still have that system. The pipes are currently with a co-worker and he's sand blasting them. Boy were they rusty. That's why I couldn't tell you exactly that it didn't use the collector, they aren't with me right now so I can't go look but I'm almost 100% sure they were two distinct pipes that did not come together. The carbon cans are out in my garage along with the hangers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts