Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
the frames are all the same part across 400 - 600 - 750 - 900 for any given model year. if you read me post that the 900ss cr used a 750ss "chassis" then that means everything but the engine, not the specific frame as a single part.

if the tube broke off the steering head that's not a traditional frame cracking issue. i'd call that a crap weld.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've had two 1997's - both had frame cracks & one had swingarm cracks at the welds, not the pinch bolts

·
Registered
140 Posts
1995 900ss/cr. Bought used, 28000km. No visible frame cracks as far as I can see.

Question, is there a sure fire way to determine if the frame was ever replaced?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
'94 CR, unknown mileage on the frame but most likely original (no warranty replacement) frame. Tank holder captive nuts welded on as in the photo posted above. It cracked originating from where the left captive nut is welded on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone who is planning on keeping their bike should have it welded with a new cross brace. If you look at most Ducati frames from that era, they had a cross tube at the first bend of the top tubes. Because of the airbox, Ducati omitted it on the 900SS. I have 42mm Keihin flatslides on short Malossi intakes. Using individual K&N filters, I have no airbox. perhaps the stock one could be modified to accomodate the brace(s).

Also, I really believe I can feel that increased rigidity in the front. The bike just seems more precise in steering.
Please see attached pix of my 1992 900SS.

View attachment 977206 View attachment 977207 .
The 900ss frame is derived from the 750f1 that has the lateral brace at the first bend same as your mod ,the first 89 900ss had a webber carb with smaller airbox as used on the 88 750 sport also have the lateral brace no reports of cracking in those frames. probably a good idea to mount the tank bracket with no welds on the top tubes. nice work on your SS

·
Premium Member
3,635 Posts
Jetta if you have a bridged tank mount as opposed to a mount as in the picture posted above (2 round nuts welded onto top tube)you have a non-original frame.

Chainey
I suspect the brace helps reduce flex in the system which makes a defect less likely to show itself, I do believe if you have a frame that is prone to crack that it will still be likely to crack if the brace is not braced in the direction of the flexing. I have seen many early carby supersports that are early oem white frame bikes and have never seen one crack where the exact same tank mount on a 95 frame has a good 50% chance of cracking as I have changed many of them under warranty. Same lack of brace, same tank latch mount. One is likely to crack the other not, to the eye they are the same frames.

Similar with early (us model) 1997 and 1998 (us model) FE frames which I never see crack. The early 1997 I have had crack as well as one of the first replacement frames I ever swapped, same bridged tank mount as the 1998 that has not been cracking. Since that one replacement cracking I have not seen any replacement frames crack and have not had to fix any more replacement frames.
Based on my experience I would not brace a replacement frame on my own bike if it was believed to be replaced post 1998(us), If you do not mind the brace then I see absolutely no harm in adding a bolt on brace as long as it does not damage paint I do not see it harming value as a weld on might some day. If you do not care about future value (and many don't) then I would add a weld in brace added carefully by a competent welder more for stiffness than frame cracking. In either case you will be welding and painting so future value may be effected.

I do not have a record of how many frames I have changed , lets just say it was enough to get my swap time down to under 4 hours roll on -roll off my lift. It was not uncommon for me to do a couple a week. I own a few supersports/frames none of my early frames have needed fixing ( 2-750 and 1-? all raced and crashed as well).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ducvet
my 95 900ss had the bridged tank mount it cracked in 2005 at 50,000km I taught myself how to wheelie on that bike every morning last straight on the way to work, replaced under warranty with another bridged mount frame that made it to 100,000km with less wheelies not cracked when sold, Word on the street is verlichi made the frames until mid 90s so it could be a combination of weaker design and inferior material and fabrication that is the probable cause.I want to build a 1000ds pre 98 framed ss part of which would include the lateral brace welded in, it will be a frankenducati so wont hurt its future value. actually when im too old to ride it will go to one of my sons.

·
Premium Member
3,635 Posts
I always have to preface that my knowledge is North America based but over here the 1995 would have had the early style to start so either yours had already been changed under before you received it or the bridged version was elsewhere earlier than we realized in the US. My guess is it was changed and probably early like the one I had break.

I do think Ducati thought the bridged version would fix the problem , as they did not have the problem earlier with a visiably weaker design. This was proven to be incorrect fairly quickly as I do not remember the one that was changed twice taking too long to fail. I also do not change many 1997 frames at all so i assume that there may have been early braced frames before we saw them in the US. Many I see cracked are not ridden extra hard,crashed or wheelied so i do not know if that matters all that much it is probably luck of the draw as much as anything.

I say find that early model with a cracked frame to build franken-duc brace the frame when you weld it up and you will be as happy as any other frame. You might just score a good deal pointing out such a cracked frame and save a unknowing buyer from ending up on here figuring out why everyone says check your frame of their new joy.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts