Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Ha.
The seller sounds like an absolute toolbag.

"To give you a sense of myself, the seller, I own a number of other Ducati including an MH900e, 748R and Hypermotard as well as Aprilia RS250, and other exotics. I recently owned the #8 Britten, and the #3 Cagiva 500. And yes, that's a Performante in the background. "

Ooh. You own some fancy stuff.... therefore this bike is ALSO fancy and I should want it more (and pay more for it)!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ha.
The seller sounds like an absolute toolbag.

"To give you a sense of myself, the seller, I own a number of other Ducati including an MH900e, 748R and Hypermotard as well as Aprilia RS250, and other exotics. I recently owned the #8 Britten, and the #3 Cagiva 500. And yes, that's a Performante in the background. "

Ooh. You own some fancy stuff.... therefore this bike is ALSO fancy and I should want it more (and pay more for it)!
Actually that is pretty good salesmanship for a prospective Silicon Valley purchaser....

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
What do you think this will sell for?
Whatever someone decides to pay. Not to sound too simpleminded when bikes turn into more art than motorcycle it all depends on whether the item matches up with another persons taste.

I am sure that the bike will sell for less than the cost to build one so if you truly love it you should get in on the bidding as often people who try and build one themselves fall short. Not that it can not be replicated just that the builders have a few under their belt and have already made all the mistakes you are about to make and know now not to make them.

I am probably not one to listen to as I am already so over "cafe bikes" with useless ergonomics and all the functionality of a chopper. I am ready for all the builders to move on to the next segment since choppers and cafes have been done to death maybe they should move into customized touring bikes. come on you can just picture all the cool kids riding around with king and queen seats made out of purple suede with CB radios and radios blasting out of vintage 8-track plyers..... did Purple rain ever make it out on 8-track? probably not better get a cassette player.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I am sure that the bike will sell for less than the cost to build one so if you truly love it you should get in on the bidding as often people who try and build one themselves fall short.
Not interested in the Bike as a purchase I already own a 06 Mono. Interested more from a curiosity of what it
will bring it seems like you stated the Cafe Racer craze seems to be dying down as the prices and demand for
the Sport Classic's seems to be down now even the Paul Smart prices are coming down though not as fast.
On the upside the only reason I own my 06 is because the price was reasonable I would not have paid what
they were going for a few years ago to own it.
I feel there will always be a Market for Cafe Racer's as they seem to be a classic style of bike that most riders and non riders like even if they will never own one. The SC gets more attention than any other bike I have owned and that is not why I bought and not always a good thing.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
there will always be a Market for Cafe Racer's as they seem to be a classic style of bike that most riders and non riders like even if they will never own one
Very true, but often it is the styling/build that makes them more art or toy than a motorcycle that will get used much. The factory "customs" often have compromises or are not exactly how we want them in comparison but are usually MUCH more functional. The sport classics were this way, I did not care for some of the things they did in building the bikes (mostly due to them being too fat looking) but have ridden all of them and feel they are a pretty decent motorcycle regardless of what they look like so that is a win overall.

Many of the hand built's will have components where they should not be or seats that are about as comfortable as sitting on a phone book which is actually not an issue as they have lowered the seat and raised the pegs so you are actually setting on your heels. Again for short rides and as art I think there is a place for these bikes as I like the looks of a well assembled two wheel vehicle. It is a good reminder of how hard the job really is at the manufacturer level.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Actually that is pretty good salesmanship for a prospective Silicon Valley purchaser....
Good point! I was thinking of the typical motorcycle enthusiast, where the bike itself (how it rides/performs, comfort, etc.) is important, as a prospective buyer. This is a great way to sell a bike to a sell-important toolbag who is looking for a status symbol!

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Personally speaking, it's a red flag to me when the seller has to use the car he/she owns in order to somehow lend credibility to himself/herself as a seller or to the sale of something as unrelated as a motorcycle. If the bike is well done and properly described, it should speak for itself. Everything else is just noise and detracts from the sale itself and invites questions about the seller (exactly as has happened here in this thread).

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Not to attempt to read his mind but I would add that showing you have $$$ might at least make buyers think that you had it built professionally and not hacked by you and your drunken buddies on weekends. This too is just a sales tactic as I know plenty of guys with $$$ that as we speak are getting ready to build something with their drunken buddies on the weekends. You are 100% right the bling does not really add anything but the reality is to some .... it might.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
I see nothing wrong with it. Owner is just pointing out that he’s a gearhead, and rich gearheads usually have their bikes professionally built and serviced. I love buying stuff from rich guys. It’s usually in great shape and low mileage and the best aftermarket stuff has been used.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I love buying stuff from rich guys. It’s usually in great shape and low mileage and the best aftermarket stuff has been used.
I couldn't agree more. I live in southern Orange County, in the Newport Beach Back Bay. There is old money and new money here-there's just money everywhere. The differences between a seller here and one in northern OC are worlds apart. The amount of records kept, the functionality of the bike, fluids used, etc. are all so different.

I am still in college but 1) after breaking so many things on my prior 3 Ducs and 2) probably the influence of Persian genetics, I am now extremely judicious and mindful when I work on my bike and I purchase the best upgrades for it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Not to attempt to read his mind but I would add that showing you have $$$ might at least make buyers think that you had it built professionally and not hacked by you and your drunken buddies on weekends. This too is just a sales tactic as I know plenty of guys with $$$ that as we speak are getting ready to build something with their drunken buddies on the weekends. You are 100% right the bling does not really add anything but the reality is to some .... it might.
How else do you build something?

·
Registered
523 Posts
LOL - Have a friend of mine that has just asked me to build him a bike the same as this one but with a fully tweeked 1100 engine.

·
Registered
523 Posts
You wouldn’t sell it, would you ?
I am building good quality moulds for a reason. If the price was right, hell yes I would part with the bike once it is finished. I am already looking at doing another one based on a 1000ds engine for someone else and I am on the look out for an 1100 engine for me at the moment to go in the carbon frame/ hossak style front end bike that I am drawing up at the moment. Everything that I am building/ developing at the moment will, be available to everyone at a price and with the difference in the US NZ dollar it will work out for all concerned, just need to get more things finished....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts