Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Mine originally had the full fairing, I bought two sets of these CR style side pieces online, one with the headlight cutout, the other without for racetrack. Don't know what lower cross brace you are talking about, it uses the same as the full fairing but I had to make the rear bolt mount for each fairing side out of electrical conduit brackets from home depot painted white. But nothing different about the front of the fairing pieces other than I used 5/8 long fuel hose instead of the original little plastic spacer pucks - (which would have fit also).

Now my 91 900SS came with the high mount oil cooler, just flipping around the valve cover caps won't work - you need the cap for the high mount style which can still be ordered from Ducati. I've seen an aftermarket kit with hoses and all needed for under $200 but I don't have a link for you right now. Seems to me one of those kits came with a fancier oil cooler also. So maybe that is what you are calling a bracket - it is part of the valve cover and has nothing to do with the fairing.

Anyway, the bike in the picture I posted gave up its caps and oil cooler to go on my 95 900SS and I swapped the 95 setup over the the 91 which now has the full fairing back on. Took an hour to swap over and put the full fairing on.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Apologies to all for interrupting this thread, but I hope others find this info useful.

Thanks for the info RockAZ. I am lucky enough to have to upper-mount valve cover and necessary oil hoses for the upper-mount oil cooler. The lower cross brace I'm referring to is shown below and Ducati call it a "Panel". It appears to be to tie the 2 sides of the half fairing together, but also appears to prevent the oil cooler being installed in the upper position.

Half Fairing Brace 2.JPG

Reactions: J.B.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
How funny! My buddy has an original CR, 1997 model, and he doesn't have that either. Learn something new everyday. I suppose that is to help direct air flow because the fairing doesn't need support there. I don't have part #23 either.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Don’t have it at all
How funny! My buddy has an original CR, 1997 model, and he doesn't have that either. Learn something new everyday. I suppose that is to help direct air flow because the fairing doesn't need support there. I don't have part #23 either.
Thanks to you both for confirming. I'd assumed the brace was required to stop the half-fairing flapping in the breeze! :)

·
Registered
7,633 Posts
I’d support it somehow. Fairings that can flap around will probably crack.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
It is supported by the headlight frame to the front pair of bolts at the bottom and on the mirror mounts at the top

·
Registered
7,633 Posts
Plastic gets brittle as it ages.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I’d support it somehow. Fairings that can flap around will probably crack.
I tend to think the same way - I think the brace is there for some reason.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I've never seen that piece of plastic but the full fairing has no such support and it is bigger which catches more air drag. I've taken my CR fairing to 150mph, that little piece must be to direct air flow either to the intake or to stop lift at speed. I did notice the CR fairing does tend to lift the front above 100mph, especially when riding into a headwind, which the full fairing does not.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts