Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up here in Alberta we're already getting frost warnings as winter approaches and I've been itching to get a few small updates done to my 1995 900ss/cr over the winter. This forum was such a huge help when I bought and went through the bike a couple of seasons ago. I'm not looking for any drastic mods as I like the bike close to stock, but I came across these parts locally and couldn't pass them up :)

As far as I know the 1000 ss swingarm should be a direct replacement. The solo seat however doesn't have any bracketry between the fibreglass and where it will sit on the frame so I'll have to come up with something that works. Would anyone happen to have pictures of any seat pan or support used to bear the riders weight with such a seat?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2016 Hyperstrada 939, 93 900ss, 2017 CRF250L RALLY, 2003 F650GS DAKAR, 1993 KLR250, 1986 HONDA TLR20
152 Posts
I have been looking at solo seat options lately what I have read is the factory brackets are still available and not to much money.

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,264 Posts
Would anyone happen to have pictures of any seat pan or support used to bear the riders weight with such a seat?
Pretty sure it was forum member SteveB who posted this pic of what the stock solo seat support brackets look like.

And I've got an aftermarket Sharkskinz solo seat panel that has seat support mounts moulded right into the back of the seat pan.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I have been looking at solo seat options lately what I have read is the factory brackets are still available and not to much money.
This is true. All parts were available through Ducati Omaha. With one exception. There are two brackets at the aft end of the solo tail that are meant to sit on two stubs that protrude forward from the rear of the frame. See below:

Those brackets are part #7 in the IPB page below

The thing is, they attach to the solo tail via brackets that were glassed in to the factory part. As the aftermarket one I have (Air Tech) did not come with them, I had to fabricate my own and glass them in.

This is a pretty simple job. I used a 19mm wide strip of aluminum that I drilled and then bent 90 degrees on each end, and then again 90 degrees in the opposite direction, 1/4" from the first bend.

I drilled small holes in the ends to facilitate getting epoxy resin down into and through the holes for a better bond. I used a generic fiberglass weave and a marine grade epoxy resin to bond the brackets to the glass.

The difference to having these mounted up versus not is astounding. You wouldn't think it would make much difference. You could actually push the bike around by the solo tail with these installed. It's that much more secure.

If I remember correctly, all of the brackets were under $50....including the SS screw kit I got from Amazon. The epoxy and fiberglass I already had from another project. Hope this helps you both.

Reactions: TNR

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thx much everyone for the quick responses and all the info. Brackets and hardware all ordered :). In answer to the cost question everything in the picture, the swingarm, fibreglass solo seat, and seat pads came to $CDN200 after a bit of negotiation, thats' aboot $USD150. Not sure if that is good or bad but I don't see these parts for sale often so thought I'd grab them. Thanks for the comment on the rear hugger btw, I hadn't thought that far ahead but I'll start watching on ebay and see if anything comes up.

Cheers!

·
Registered
378 Posts
$150 USD is an absolute bargain. Those swingarms usually have an asking price of $500USD; the monoposto tail and pads a few hundred (and more).
Well done.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Yeah, $150 for all that is a steal of a deal. I've not seen a solo tail with the upholstery for sale for under $250. I think that was for an unfinished one. Last one I saw finished with the upholstery was $400. I don't even think I've seen a 1000DS swinger for sale at all.....at least not in the last 6 months or so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Up here in Alberta we're already getting frost warnings as winter approaches and I've been itching to get a few small updates done to my 1995 900ss/cr over the winter. This forum was such a huge help when I bought and went through the bike a couple of seasons ago. I'm not looking for any drastic mods as I like the bike close to stock, but I came across these parts locally and couldn't pass them up :)
I have some Ducati parts, not exactly what you are looking for.
I am retiring and want to close -out all Ducati parts and just down to BMW 1200 twins.

I have a listing on ebay for 9.99 for all kinds of fittings and know I have a bag of tank and seat parts somewhere if
interested?
Mark : [email protected]

As far as I know the 1000 ss swingarm should be a direct replacement. The solo seat however doesn't have any bracketry between the fibreglass and where it will sit on the frame so I'll have to come up with something that works. Would anyone happen to have pictures of any seat pan or support used to bear the riders weight with such a seat?

Cheers

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So winter has arrived, bikes are put away, and I have some parts in now for this tail section. All the bracketry was available from ducati (thx iwannaduc) and I was able to source a decal set for the number plates from the UK from an outfit called classic reproduction decals. Also have a seamstress lined up to make a nice cover for the seat pads.

I should have it test fitted to the bike shortly, so my question right now is about paint. I've inquired with a couple of local shops for prepping, painting, applying decals, and clear coating, but I don't have any estimates yet. Any ideas on what a ballpark price should be? And what kind of finish, realistically, could I expect if I went DIY with either spraycans or a home spraygun? I have a decent compressor setup and I'm comfortable with wet sanding, particularly on a part this size, but looking for a great finish in either case.

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts