Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995 900SSCR
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on a hanging idle on a recently purchased 95 SSCR. < 15K miles, not my first go round as I had the same model new in 94.

Cleaned and rebuilt the carbs last evening. Used Keyster K-1336DK kits, very complete! This was set up with 124 main, 37.5 pilot and a needle I could not identify (very tapered). Replaced with all stock jetting 140/42.5 and the stock 5C19 needle (shaped like a nail) 4 from the top. Replaced both adjustment screws and set 3.5 turns out. Figured that would be a good starting point. Both diaphragms in good shape but the o-rings for the top cap air passages were missing.

I really try to pay attention to details. Both vent hoses were cut off below the filter, not routed into the breather box. I found hose that fits and should be able to find a clamp for the air box. Looking for the springs that guard the vent hoses?

·
Registered
505 Posts
That tapered needle that you took out, am I wrong in assuming that is Dyno Jet kit? The whole set up sounds like Stage 1 from Dyno Jet.

I would check the enricher first. How does it start from cold?

·
Registered
1995 900SSCR
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dump jet kit is a good guess. But with no way of knowing I thought I would start with a stock setup.

Starts fine. But warmed up it randomly idles at 1200 (sometimes) or hangs at 3000+ (Most of the time). Didn’t respond at all to mixture adjustments or idle speed adjustment.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Dump jet kit is a good guess. But with no way of knowing I thought I would start with a stock setup.

Starts fine. But warmed up it randomly idles at 1200 (sometimes) or hangs at 3000+ (Most of the time). Didn’t respond at all to mixture adjustments or idle speed adjustment.
You said you put 42.5 pilot jet in --That bike if I am not mistaken should have a 37.5 pilot, The early European bikes had a 42.5 in them -I know because thats what my bike is, But I am pretty sure the NA bikes came with a 37.5. The tapered needle could be Dyno Jet or Factory Pro, If your going back to stock you want to use oem mikuni jets. Dyna Jet uses their own jets which do not match numbers with stock jets. also how many turns out are you on the fuel screw--out is rich -in is lean

·
Registered
505 Posts
Does everything move smoothly? The slides, cables, etc.? Somehow I'm picturing something mechanical instead of jetting.

·
Registered
1995 900SSCR
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
J.B. I had wondered the same thing. The only thing I noticed when pulling the carbs was that the throttle cables had a lot of slack in them. But everything was/is working smoothly & the throttle was returning to the idle stop every time. No issues with the choke. Nothing internally sticking on the carbs. The only thing that really stood out was the missing O-Rings on the top covers.

Got it back together and just finished a test ride. Felt fantastic! Idle is now solid at 1200, and actually changes when adjusted. Bike pulls hard and is smooth on and off the throttle. Returns to idle quickly and consistently when revved, no slow drop or hanging. The smile on my face could barely fit in my helmet!

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
having a fair amount of slack in the closing cable helps a lot with slow return of the throttle. i always give it as much slack as i can at the adjusters at both ends, then adjust the opening cable to how i want it. i generally don't take any free play out of the closing cable, but if you did progressively you would find the point where it impacts return.

a well set up dynojet kit should work nicely.

·
Registered
1994 900SS CR, 2002 998 Trackbike
322 Posts
Nice. So it was hanging without the o-rings, and now it's fine? I bet they were allowing just enough of an air leak to really lean it out at idle. It doesn't take much.

·
Registered
1995 900SSCR
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I think that the O-Rings were likely the cause. I looked hard for a vac leak before pulling the carbs. And both were fairly clean, no obvious plugged jets, passages, etc.

·
Registered
1995 900SSCR
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So on to the misc parts. Is there a source for the Hooks and Pins for the air box cover? Missing one of them. I see new for 2001 and up available as p/n 76010031B & 742231045. Look the same on a parts diagram, are they the same size?

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
I flattened the sealing surface on my covers with a sheet of glass and Emory cloth for a better seal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts