Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Back in the Ducati fold -- a past life saw me with a 900ss FE, and a 999. Bought this 2002 900SS ie from a racing buddy who is stepping away from competition. Needs a complete overhaul, but I love working on and tweaking bikes. Plan to make a cafe racer.... although the fuel injected tanks have a funny shape about them... First things first, I bobbed the rear of the seat subframe.

Recycled some of the tubing and worked on my acetelyne welding skills... not bad.
Next I extended some of the wiring to allow me to move the battery back under the seat. Will use a lithium ion suitable for this application.

I had a small koso guage from another project, that I mounted using the ignition key mounts.

In order to hide all the wires that were behind the fairing (I am going with a single headlight), I am ditching the airbox and running pods from California Cycleworks. I need to fab mounts and brackets for all the items under the tank. The start -- ECU and fuse box.

I also ditched the stock exhaust and found some headers from a DB4 Bimota at a silly cheap price.

When its finished, obviously a fuelling module (PCIII) of some sort will go on and help with the fuelling.
Should be a fun project.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Some observations.

Not sure I would have the ECU connector facing forward, but that is just me being cautious.
The ECU is an A8, so post 2000 model ECU at least.
The wheels look like 3 spoke, which was 1999/2000. This era had the A0 ECU and no side/kickstand switch.

PC III - suggest you simply remap the ECU with IAW Diag suite of software and Tunerpro.
Pod filters - I know from experience helping jduke (using logged AFR data) with his 900 Monster, you will probably need to do some serious remapping, even when Jerry started from a DP map.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike is originally and Penguin Racing track day bike, so the history is somewhat questionable. The tank decal says 2002, but that's assuming its the stock tank. I'll take a look at the frame numbers to be sure. I can flip the ECU around, but I should stop fabricating until I get the pod filters in, as that will dictate the placement of just about everything!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, I am in a tuning wasteland. The one "local" dyno is 3 hours away, and he only knows how to use PC/dynojet products. Any other jiggery pokery with Tuneboy and etc is out of his field of expertise. My 900ss had 41 flats, so I'm more of a carb guy myself...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

DOT approved LED headlight tucked in close to the forks. Mounted to the headstock with aluminum plates and spacers.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rest of the db4 muffler system showed up today. Its a neat design, and eliminates the clearance issue, but the muffler itself is welded on, weighs a ton, and is cosmetically rough. I have another idea in mind for later on. Amazingly, a bit of persuasion with a leftover KTM Duke 690 powerparts muffler hanger, and the mount is also sorted. Result!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, the rearsets showed up. OEM, used, but in fantastic shape. Work ok with the lower collector mount as well.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This super-modern high-tech 16 year old ducati has a bunch of computer stuff and gubbins that I don't think I can just hack off... so I had to hide the air temperature sensor somewhere, out of the wind (ambient temp) but away from the engine heat...

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
You really need to get rid of that huge can, it just doesn’t fit in to what you’re doing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found it on a Japanese auction site called "buyee.jp". Shipping is pretty salty, though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I'm going to go with a megaphone muffler from Cone -- I've bought a few for other projects in the past, and they're great quality. Stainless steel, with SS wool packed around the preforated baffle inside. These are 15" in length -- they have 18" options, but those are only 2" shorter than the big Bimota muffler I had on the exhaust originally, so I think would be too long. They also have 12 and 13" performance reverse megs, but those things would be too loud I think (minimal baffling). The collector pipe is 2 1/8", not a common size, but I'll buy the megaphone in 2 1/4" and get a muffler shop to expand the collector right at the tip for a slip/interference fit, and then get my stainless welding guru to tig it together, as well as fabricate a muffler strap to work with the KTM exhaust hanger.
It goes without saying a Power Commander will be part of the final equation, with the pods and this exhaust. Like I may have posted earlier, the only nearby shop with a dyno has experience with dynojet stuff, so that's the way I'll go.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some more progress -- Frando brake and clutch master cylinders. Brake is 17mm, clutch is 14mm. I've used these before on street and race bikes, and they are good quality parts as a much more affordable price. Bike magazine in the UK tested them on one of their classic TT race bikes, so if its good enough for the Isle of Man, it should be good enough for me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cone engineering muffler also came in -- I mocked it up with electrical tape, but I think it works well with the Bimota headers. It will be welded on to the link pipe (as was the original) and then a bracket made. I've got a guy who tig welds stainless steel so well it looks like art, IMHO.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Working on the battery box for the relocated battery...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts