Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My auto electrician tells me that my alternator on my 1989 900ss has crapped itself. =( Hardly surprising considering it’s a 350 watt system and I have projector beam headlights on the bike (though they are very seldom on)

So, what do I do? (Bear in mind I know nothing about electrics here) And I don’t fancy my chances of finding someone locally who could rewind my stator.

I read in an outstanding article by Larry Kelly (aka Shazaam) of San Diego CA which you can find at http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/tech/chargingfailure.php

Larry says “The 1998 ST2 is unique, it was Ducati's one and only 450 watt single-phase system. For the 1999 model year Ducati redesigned the system going to a 520 watt 3-phase alternator.”

Should I try to get a 1998 ST2 stator? I know getting a 3 phase alternator is out of the question. It has a different R/R, cases, etc.

Could I still use my existing Regulator/Rectifier with the 450w ST2 alternator? Mt R/R is actually a Kawasaki part? (Don’t ask.)

Any other suggestions/tips? Like, most importantly, where would I find such a part? (quickly!) I see regulatorrectifier.com has some replacement alternators, though none listed for this model year. (They may know what I’m after)

Larry also suggests “You ought to replace the wiring all the way back to the stator with a larger gauge. #8 gauge wire was needed (but not used.)” Would most definitely do that!

Has anyone else been through this exercise? Look forward to hearing from you! Cheers.

Hame

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Don't bother answering this post guys. I'm going to replace the wiring first per Shazaams advice and will report then...

Hamish

1 - 2 of 2 Posts