Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have a 93 on my lift right now. it is original frame color and not white or gold it is more of a pewter. View attachment 975001
All the books and internet research I've done says the white frames were discontinued from production in 1992. In 1993 the frame color was "Bronze" which is what my 1993 is....or rather, was. I also found on mine, that there was a clear coat over the OEM paint and it yellowed quite a bit giving a golden finish to the frame in some places.

The bronze looks more pewter to me than gold though other members here have stated theirs were gold. Again, most of the research I did indicates the "bronze" was used from 1993 on. I don't know if was an actual color change or it was simply the result of a change in suppliers. IE, Bronze to one meant something different to the other. I found that it did in fact change to gold for 1998 on the FE.

So I'm in the U.S. (Texas) and I recently bought a 1993 900 Supersport. Manufacture date was 1992 (month is worn off) and VIN ends in 4415 and decodes as a 1993 900 Supersport.
The frame is white.
The wheels are white.
Plastics are all red.
It looks like the one Faloon identifies as a 1991 model in his "restoration guide" on desmodue twins.
I've read that only 91s and 92s have white/white, but mine is clearly a '93 and don't believe wheels were replaced, although it's possible...
Could be they were painted at the same time? I know there was a point in time where Ducati warranty replaced some frames due to cracking near welds at the steering head. It is possible yours was one of those and was painted white upon frame replacement. Just a theory, if your numbers research is accurate. .....sean

·
Registered
3 Posts
vin ending in 4415 would be earlier than 93. it'd almost be a 91 i'd think, which would make the wheels and frame colour correct.
Thanks, good to know. As mentioned, the manufacture date is '92 and although the month is worn, I think it's either 2 or 3, so early '92. I'm almost sure it was a U.S.-bound bike because of the emission/noise stickers on it, but no idea why VIN decodes as a '93. PO doesn't know any history....

·
Registered
3 Posts
All the books and internet research I've done says the white frames were discontinued from production in 1992. In 1993 the frame color was "Bronze" which is what my 1993 is....or rather, was. I also found on mine, that there was a clear coat over the OEM paint and it yellowed quite a bit giving a golden finish to the frame in some places.

The bronze looks more pewter to me than gold though other members here have stated theirs were gold. Again, most of the research I did indicates the "bronze" was used from 1993 on. I don't know if was an actual color change or it was simply the result of a change in suppliers. IE, Bronze to one meant something different to the other. I found that it did in fact change to gold for 1998 on the FE.

Could be they were painted at the same time? I know there was a point in time where Ducati warranty replaced some frames due to cracking near welds at the steering head. It is possible yours was one of those and was painted white upon frame replacement. Just a theory, if your numbers research is accurate. .....sean
The patina and paint wear on the frame and wheels tells me it's original paint. I think the answer is that it was built in early '92 with "leftover" '91 parts more or less, then imported to the U.S. in late '92 as a '93 model. I'm getting ready to match up the engine number with some of the details in Faloon's book - maybe that'll shed some additional light.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
"leftover" '91 parts
ffs. you guys just love this parts bin shit don't you.

given the difference between 91 and 92 900ss model year spec is white or black wheels (for euro anyway, usa still had white as far as i can tell) leftover 91 parts would be, by definition, 92 parts.

there were white frames 91 -92 for euro my bikes.

in 93 euro my the frames became a goldy bronzy pewter sort of odd satin-ish colour that was also on the wheels of the sl and sp5.

then 94 all had that goldy bronzy pewter sort of odd satin-ish colour on frames and wheels, except the 916 which had the new more matt more traditional gold colour that the monster and ss frames got in 97 my as i recall.

does anyone in the usa who bought a 93 model year 900ss new recall what colours it had? given the sl was nominally a 93 in the usa and it was the old 92 euro style.

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
I will snap a picture of the 93 in the shop today if I remember for frame color comparisons. I do not remember frame color changing after 94.

Just clarify what is the date code you are finding making you think it is not a 1993, the date code should match the date code on the engine (but not the vin number in the US).
In this day it could be possible someone swapped frames after the bike got stateside for numerous reasons but the VIN should give the date unless it was a unmarked frame that someone had the VIN added too. Ducati warranty frames came from Italy with your existing VIN done by the factory if someone just bought a frame they could have gotten a blank frame.

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
Isn't that strange, maybe our government did not let us do that work or the Italians were afraid we would screw it up . I have seen a few warranty frame blems where the incorrect vin was placed in Italy or they are the early 97( updated but still breaking) so they could not use them . We got them to use for off road only race frames which worked for us.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Isn't that strange, maybe our government did not let us do that work or the Italians were afraid we would screw it up . I have seen a few warranty frame blems where the incorrect vin was placed in Italy or they are the early 97( updated but still breaking) so they could not use them . We got them to use for off road only race frames which worked for us.
dunno. we had to send the importer the steering head of the replaced frame - cut out with gas axe because sawsall didn't exist back then afaik. no steering head section meant no payment.

at least one frame left us without being numbered, given by a rather silly service manager to a typical whiny fucking arsehole customer who then tried to sell it later. and his bike turned up years later somewhere without vin or compliance plate, for which i got abused by the shop that traded it with their eyes closed.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
okay to start the 1995 updated frame with original color fairing cage.
i'd call the first photo the 916 style matt more traditional gold colour frame, with the headlight subframe in the goldy bronzy pewter sort of odd satin-ish colour typical of 93 to 96 frames - same as the frame in the second and third photos.

my 1997 m600 has the matt more traditional gold colour frame, with the goldy bronzy pewter sort of odd satin-ish wheels that i'm sure was typical of all our 97 my bikes.

·
Registered
918 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
the main loom wiring connectors at the front are different 93 to later as well. didn't the gold subframes have a flattened section where the rear bolt is, not the round boss?
That's kinda what my post was about. I got my 900SS as a "project" in that, the seller was up front about it being a less than stellar example. Frankly, the entire thing was a complete mess.

The subframe it came with, was like the one pictured by ducvet in his picture of the 1995. Given that it was on my bike to begin with, it wasn't until I started to research the parts that I discovered it was not original to the bike.

I discovered the gold paint under the black and decided it was probably from a later bike just before finding the original had the round bosses welded on the ends. The one I got from eBay is the one in my picture.

As the connectors go, I'm not sure they are different. I've seen any number of "front harnesses" listed on eBay and all the connectors look just like mine. Could be my entire front, subframe, harness and all was replaced. I dunno.

Like I wrote, it was a complete mess when I got it. I think the only thing that was reasonably solid was the frame. Only because it doesn't have to contain any oil. 😄.....sean

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
my 93 has 4 large connectors at the front lh side. the later ones have a rectangular single connector with 3 rows of terminals - probably with the change to battery + on the rh side at a guess.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
OK here is another one for you guys ---On your 91-97 900SS bikes what ft brake & clutch levers are on them--( only people with oem stock need reply) Mine have a recessed elongated oval that has Ducati embossed in there--Ducvet says I have a unicorn lol. He says all he has seen say Brembo--- Mine is very early serial # 28

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I too have the coffin master cylinders--but that is not what I ask lol---what do the levers themselves say??

·
Registered
781 Posts
Sorry, i replaced mine long ago with CRG adjustable levers. My recollection is that they were stamped with Brembo, buy not certain.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts