Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am new to this forum. Just want to say hi to everyone and I have a 1995 Ducati 900 Supersport Desmodue and the charging system is not working. The battery light is on and it's not charging. Fuses are okay at the fuse box. If anyone has an idea as to what can be wrong, I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Try checking the connections at the yellow wires that come from the left side cover. There is a pair of psuedo bullet connectors that can get corroded and cause havoc. Short of that you may have a bad regulator.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ducman851 said:
Try checking the connections at the yellow wires that come from the left side cover. There is a pair of psuedo bullet connectors that can get corroded and cause havoc. Short of that you may have a bad regulator.
Thanks man, I'll definately check the connectors. By the way, where is the regulator located? Is it under the left side cover or is it outside?

Thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
xr50 said:
Thanks man, I'll definately check the connectors. By the way, where is the regulator located? Is it under the left side cover or is it outside?

Thanks!
Oh great! Ask me a question I know the answer for but for the life of me old age has chosen to not reveal its locale. :D

IIRC I think its under the seat? My 851 and 888s regs are in front of the steering head, My M800 is under the seat.

Dang It!!

If you have puked the regulator, I may have a good one or two in the garage if you wish to stay with a stocker, otherwise hit up Chris @ Ca-Cycleworks and get an Electrex unit. Let him know i told ya to.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The RR is under the steering head, bolted to the frame. Use a multimeter and check the battery *BEFORE* you get a new regulator. A bad battery will cause crazy electrical problems. Use this link and download the trouble shooting PDF file from ElectroSport. It will help you find your "electrical gremlin".
http://www.electrosport.com/electrosport_fault_finding.html

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips. It worked out perfect. I replaced the yellow wires and the bike started charging like a champ. Another question though....what oil weight should I use in the engine? Synthetic or regular? And how many quarts approximately does it hold? Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
OH NO, not the start of an oil thread. Glad things worked out for you charging wise. Buy three quarts of oil. You should use about 2 2/3 to 2 3/4 qts. Just keep it BELOW the top fill mark. Personally I like Mobile 1 15w-50, but you'll get as many recommendations as there are stars in the sky :) It's your preference on the "Dino vs. Synthetic" issue. As long as you change on a regular basis with a quality oil, your good.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jules3 said:
OH NO, not the start of an oil thread. Glad things worked out for you charging wise. Buy three quarts of oil. You should use about 2 2/3 to 2 3/4 qts. Just keep it BELOW the top fill mark. Personally I like Mobile 1 15w-50, but you'll get as many recommendations as there are stars in the sky :) It's your preference on the "Dino vs. Synthetic" issue. As long as you change on a regular basis with a quality oil, your good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts