Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out for a nice spring ride on my '93 900SS a few weeks back. Bike worked great the entire ride. I decided to give my son a ride to school on it on a chilly Swedish morning the following week, which didn't go so well... The bike now feels like it is running on a single cylinder (not sure if that is the case though). On the trip home from school I did notice that there were a few instances the bike started to run normally; otherwise it is very sluggish. I haven't had time to delve further into what the problem might be.:confused: Thought it might be better to ask here first where to start. I initial hunch is that it has a plugged fuel filter. Where else can one begin to search/test for problems?

Thanks for the advice beforehand!

Sweden

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
On a cold morning you could have had carbs icing up. Common problem, goes away when it is warmer outside. See if it runs ok when warm.

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,282 Posts
I had a similar problem with my '95 900SS Sweden. It would run perfectly fine for the majority of the time but occasionally it would mysteriously lose power and run sluggishly as though it was running on only one cylinder. As it turned out that was the case.

What I found was that the spark plug wire for my horizontal cylinder had worked it's way loose from the little spike/nail that's supposed to connect/secure the spark plug wire to the stock ignition coil.
For a time I tried taping that plug wire to the coil in an effort to keep the plug wire a little more secure but it didn't work,it eventually just worked it's way loose again.

I ended up ditching my stock ignition coils and installing an aftermarket set of Dyna ignition coils that use the standard clip-in type spark plug wires. Haven't had any problems with the bike since.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
You can glue your wires to your coils with automotive trim cement. Put some on the outside of the wire and push it all the way into the coil. Let it dry, then seal it with a little more around the area where the wire goes into the coil. As a bonus it seals against moisture,too. Even silicone sealer will work for this if you let it dry well before use. Just do not get it on your center wire connection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx for the replies all!

A little update: I was just out in the garage and tested for spark on both heads. Things are peachy with the vertical head; no spark with the (front) horizontal head, so, yes, running on one cylinder :( I am now a bit unsure as to how to proceed next. The wires on the ICUs are worn (with one of the clips broken as well), which makes me think that the problem could be there. Otherwise, is it coil replacement time?
Suggestions for places in Europe to order coils (or will the factory ones suffice)?

Ideas on how to isolate the problem?

Thanks again!

Sweden

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Small update:

Finally found a few more minutes to play with the electrical problem. I changed both plugs. I also switched the Ignition Control Units around to see if one (the left) was bad. No difference; there is still no spark on the horizontal cylinder.
What next? How does one check to see if the coils are ok? Other ideas? :confused:

Thanks!

Sweden

·
Registered
954 Posts
Swap the modules blocks over, also the plug leads, this will give you the vert pot module & coil firing the horiz.pot plug!

If still no joy then look at the pickups...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Stoshmonster, I'd like to check if this may be the cause of the same intermittent running issues Im having but I dont quite understand where these components you speak of are.
"......the spark plug wire for my horizontal cylinder had worked it's way loose from the little spike/nail that's supposed to connect/secure the spark plug wire to the stock ignition coil."
Can you post a pic, diagram, or instructions?...Id greatly appreciate it.
Joe

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think the place he was talking about (3.5 years ago) is where the spark plug lead is attached to the coil.
I didn't read back through the whole thread, but different coils have different connections, some are a push fit with a connector on the lead, other have no connector but are "screwed" into the coil. Try removing and reattaching yours to see if it helps.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Limey,
Can you point out the coil in this pic of mine?
thanks!
MilMan, Your 1999 is different. I'd guess they're out in the fairing area. Just follow UR spark plug wires backwards. They'll lead you right to them. (On the ST2, they're between the gas tank, and the outer fairing.)

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
If you have enough extra wire cut the plug wires back 1/2" on the coil end. They'll stay on better. Seal them with 3m trim cement and they won't come loose. Check resistance while you gave the wires off, they can go bad.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes, just like duc99cr said, go to your spark plug, follow the lead from there, where it ends is your coil. One for each cylinder.
It you're new to all this I'd suggest taking pictures, and checking one thing at a time, example, if you pull both coils and leads your next post will titled "Which coil goes to which cylinder?" --- we've all been there at some point. Good luck!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 21 Posts