Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got quick shifters on my 999 S and 749 R track bike. I find them to be really convenient. Once I started to use them, I had to have them on all my bikes. Fortunately, if you have an Ignitech ignition, the install on a 900 SS carby is really easy.

I started with a Shifting Control quick shifter. I bought mine from Liam at Fast Bike Gear. I believe that you can buy them directly from Ignitech, as well. Personally, I prefer to buy from Liam as he's great to work with and has dome much to support the 900 SS community.

Mechanically, the most difficult part of the install was cutting and tapping the aluminum shift rod.

As far as the electrics, I crimped Ignitech pins to 20 ga wire, and connected these to the Switch 1 pins (8 and 14) on the Ignitech unit. My Ignitech is located under the seat, so between the Ignitech unit and the quick shifter, I spliced in an AMP 2 wire connector. The connector sits under the battery box, and the rest of the wiring was added to the loom going back to the Ignitech. I use Tesa tape for the loom - nice and clean.

Programming the Ignitech was easy, as well. In the software, click on Clutch Master under Multifunction Input 1 (or 2 if that's what you're using). Then program the Clutch Master time to 70 ms, and the Clutch Master Pause to 100 ms.

During my initial testing the shifter has worked great. After I have some more time with it, I'm going to experiment with 60 and 50 ms. Overall, this has been a great mod.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Just a quick update. I set the Clutch Master time (ignition kill time) to 60ms. It works great. I'm going to keep it at this setting.

Many ask why install a quick shifter. While it's certainly not needed, it sure is nice. I suppose that all I can say is, try one and you'll see.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quickshifter

Original owner of my Superlight installed a Holeshot quick shifter and I have to agree with you that they (quickshifter/ignition kill box) really smooth out the upshifts and downshifts. Moving up and down the gears is like cutting warm butter now.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Original owner of my Superlight installed a Holeshot quick shifter and I have to agree with you that they (quickshifter/ignition kill box) really smooth out the upshifts and downshifts. Moving up and down the gears is like cutting warm butter now.
Greg, how are you enjoying your foray back into Ducati ownership? Bu the way, from what I hear, Four Rings SS is really special and I could see your going down that road one day.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yep love the quickshifter I have fitted with the Ignitech unit to my race bike. Gives me a good advantage when the flag drops and is also worth time on each lap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts