Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can anyone advise me of the HP and torque figures for the 900 SS F.E.

I note that the US and non USD versions have different engines. The US version has internal oil lines and the non US version has external oil lines.

Can anyone advise the hp and torque figures for each variation and perhaps advise what was done to get the extra horspower on the F.E. engines.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
Can anyone advise the hp and torque figures for each variation and perhaps advise what was done to get the extra horspower on the F.E. engines.
there is no extra horsepower for the F.E. bikes,
they have got only 75 hp listed, compared to the
78 hp of the previous 1997 modell, torque went
down from 84 Nm to 76 Nm also.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is no extra horsepower for the F.E. bikes,
they have got only 75 hp listed, compared to the
78 hp of the previous 1997 modell, torque went
down from 84 Nm to 76 Nm also.
Thanks Muschi was that for both the US and non US specification engines?

Do you know what Ducati did to decrease in engine power?

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
same engine spec, different rating. all the carb 900 motors are the same performance wise.
that's what i thought when i took the info out of
the ducati book this morning, it must be a slight
different rating, as the engine parts were not
changed at that time.

the info is from the european ducati kompass by
the way, as i am in europe.

cheers.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
same engine spec, different rating. all the carb 900 motors are the same performance wise.
I understand from http://www.geocities.com/edwyun/frames.html that the US specification engines had different cam timing. (intake: opens before TDC 24°, closes after BDC 70°.exhaust: opens before BDC 58°, closes after TDC 29°.) These engines also apparently had the 3-phase 520W alternator.

I am begining to suspect the non european engines were the same spec as all the earlier 900 SS bikes. However it sems the different cam timing on the US engines must have affected engine performance in some respect?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I understand from http://www.geocities.com/edwyun/frames.html that the US specification engines had different cam timing. (intake: opens before TDC 24°, closes after BDC 70°.exhaust: opens before BDC 58°, closes after TDC 29°.) These engines also apparently had the 3-phase 520W alternator.

I am begining to suspect the non european engines were the same spec as all the earlier 900 SS bikes. However it sems the different cam timing on the US engines must have affected engine performance in some respect?
those cam specs are for the 900 SS carby models cams. many of the ducati books specify shorter duration specs for them, but they are wrong. those cams were introduced with the 906 paso and ran until the end of the 900 carb motors in 99, which was a 3 phase alt motor that we only saw in monsters.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
those cam specs are for the 900 SS carby models cams. many of the ducati books specify shorter duration specs for them, but they are wrong. those cams were introduced with the 906 paso and ran until the end of the 900 carb motors in 99, which was a 3 phase alt motor that we only saw in monsters.
Bradblack many thanks for that. That means my non US spec F.E. has the same cams. Unlike mine the US spec F.E.s also got the 3 phase alternator. Do you also think they has the same cams?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts