Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi SS forum. Im Asking this question for a friend here in town, that picked up a 2000 750 SS. The motor is locked up. My question; is it possible to convert the 900 motor into the 750 frame? If its possible - What other problem solving / parts will be needed to complete?

I know with the superbikes you can swap a 999 848 1098 1198 motor in a 749 frame. Just wondering if I can do the same with the 750.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It should bolt right in. Swaps of this sort are usually problematic in electricals, if problems occur.
If I were going to do this I'd be looking for a 1000 or 1100 DS motor, as its the newest/best air-cooled motor from Ducati.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Damn you rz33v4 - I thought I was nearly finished!

Damn that is a good thought. I wonder now if the 1100 motor has the correct mounting points and the sprockets will line up for my 900SSie.

Back to Kramer749's question. I am fairly sure the 750 and 900 frames are the same. My 2001 900 has an alloy swinging arm, but I expect the sprockets line up. I think the rear tyre is narrower on the 750.

I am also fairly sure the wiring harness is the same on the 750 and 900. ECUs are both marelli 15M but there is a very slight chance that the pin/cable out to start it may be different, but that is no major problem. The map could well be an issue, but of you use something like Tuneboy to remap the ECU, you will have a 900 map.

If you go 1000 or 1100, then the gauges are different and from what i have seen about "red keys" the ECU is certainly a different model and has other security functions. I.e. it secures a S*#tload of money if you lose it. Again, with some not too hard time/work/pleasure on a dyno, you would be able to remap the marelli 15M with Tuneboy.

My guess is that the inputs/sensors to the ECU will be the same, however I do not know if the Marelli 15M can "fire" the dual spark coils. Again, if you are an addict, this would be a minor hurdle.

Mmmmm must start trolling the wreckers!

Having written all that, I heard a couple of days ago about a 750SSie engine that will be available fairly soon, from a non-bike related project and could be very reasonably priced. This engine is near Sydney Australia.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
any SS i.e. engine will do, without any electrical problems, as all engines
share the 3 yellow phase alternator cable and the cable from the pic-up
to the ecu too, both cable plugs are the same on each i.e. ducati.

some early bikes have got 10mm engine mounting bolts, while newer
ones have got 12mm ones, that can be adapted quite easy with some
12mm outside and 10mm inside diameter aluminum tubes that are fitted
over the 10mm bolts.

the 900cc engine is pretty nice too, has much more grunt than the
750cc one and is half as expensive as the 1000cc ones, not a bad
idea to take one of those.

you'll need the headers of the donor bike also, and the ecu needs a
different mapping to be flashed on, if you can't get the ecu from the donor
bike. ( ecu plugs and size changed with the years, but are easily identified. )

:)

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
My guess is that the inputs/sensors to the ECU will be the same

i think they are, at least with the 750 - > 900cc conversion.
you are right that the useage of a 1000cc and up engine has
some difficulties like different gauges for the ecu i.e. with it,
i forgot about that.

cheers.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Hey Muschi

Do you know if the 1100 engines have the same mounting positions?

I can understand the 1000 being the same, as they are the same frame, so why not chase the extra 100cc?

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
the 1100 engine is a 1000cc with a bigger bore, a 1078 to be correct,
the mounting points should be 100% identical, no matter if it has a
lighter case or not.

:think:

·
Registered
40 Posts
The frame is identical in ss 750 and 900, just swap the engine and turn on the bike :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you

Thanks for the quick info. You guys have been a big help. I found a couple 900 motors for sale and not so many 750s. Its a lot cheaper to buy one these days than rebuilding. Its always nice to have a spare motor around anyways if you want to build a race motor later on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What about 4 valve engines?

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread. Is it possible to graft a four valve engine into an SS frame? Or should I say is it practical do this?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Punch & Mushi
Regarding 1000 / 1100 engine for SS & Monster
It is correct that the mounting points are 100% the same.
However note that the new Monster 1100 engine are using Siemens ignition system.
So some of the sensors might not be plug & play.
- Engine temp sensor is now screwed into rear cylinder.
- Timing sensor is moved ontop of left side engine casing.
- Air temp sensor is inside rear cylinder intake between airbox & TB.
- Pressure sensor is connected to both cylinders intake between TB & cylinder.
I am not saying that it will not work but it is good to have a look at.

For sure I do know that all the sensors on a Monster 1000 engine is plug & play with a M900ie (MM 1.5M) injection system.

/Henrik

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
welcome to the board and thanks for the detailed information,
i have no personal experience with the 1100cc engine yet.

:)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks!
Regarding if the sprockets will line up. Yes it will.
However note that if you find a Monster 900ie engine (2000 - 2002) you must use the special sprocket for that engine.
Standard sprocket has a boss on one side but the special sprocket has a thinner boss on both sides.
More info: http://www.ducati-john.co.uk/bike-engine-sprockets.htm
Seems that it is due to the fact that it has the close ratio gearbox.
More info: http://www.bikeboy.org/ducgearing.html

MM1.5M will fire the dual spark coils.

/Henrik

·
Registered
2 Posts
the 1100 engine is a 1000cc with a bigger bore, a 1078 to be correct,
the mounting points should be 100% identical, no matter if it has a
lighter case or not.

:think:
I have a 750 Sport from 2001. Engines from what models and what year can i put on the frame that my bike has? The 1100 cc engine was made in 2007. Is posible that an engine made in 2007 to be mounted on a frame from 2001.

And how is cheaper, to buy the engine or to buy the hole bike and sell the one i have, if i whant a bike with a 1100cc engine?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts