Discussion Starter #1
Didn't Pro Italia use to sell a brace or bracket that was suppose
to reinforce these Single seat tails so they would not crack? I
can find it mentioned in posts but no pictures or real information
on it.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I don’t know about one from Pro Italia. The parts manual shows 4 brackets plus 4 rubber pads to mount the solo tail.

2 of the brackets bolt to the seat through the fiberglass and use the same rubber pad that bolts to the fuel tank to rest on the frame.

The other 2 are bolted glassed in mounts and have rubber pads to rest on the the truncated straight tube at the rear of the frame.

Looks like this when assembled.

All the parts are still available from Ducati Omaha which is where I bought mine.

I wanna say the total for all the brackets and rubber parts was something like $80.

The glassed in mount, that you’ll have to fabricate but it isn’t anything special. I fabbed mine from some 7071 aluminum sheet. I just used some speed nuts for mounting the brackets.

I can post up the P/Ns here if you like. I just gotta find the receipt....sean

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi There, happened to see this while browsing and found an ace idea from a gent in Tenerife fitting an SL seat.
Not much info on the parts but photos show the idea...

·
Registered
262 Posts
The seat angle does not quite match the tank line but, I'd be happy with this:

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
originally they only had the rear glassed in mount ones. the plates that bolted to the seat screws came in 94 or so i think. i have some on back order at the moment. not sure if they'll turn out to be nla (wouldn't be surprised), but i've been waiting for a pair of handgrips for as long, so who knows.

these days i find you have to order this o shit and wait and question it then they say "sorry, nla"

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
originally they only had the rear glassed in mount ones. the plates that bolted to the seat screws came in 94 or so i think. i have some on back order at the moment. not sure if they'll turn out to be nla (wouldn't be surprised), but i've been waiting for a pair of handgrips for as long, so who knows.

these days i find you have to order this o shit and wait and question it then they say "sorry, nla"
I just got one of the seat brackets (2nd time) about a month ago. So those are definitely not NLA. The smaller ones for the rear of the solo tail I got last year in June. I can't say if they're still available but I would guess so.

Somehow one of the seat brackets disappeared. After a month of searching, I finally just bought a new one. Hence the 2nd time. As stated above, that was just last month. It took around 2 weeks to arrive from Ducati Omaha....and I'm sure they waited at least 2/3 of that for the bracket to arrive from Italy.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
That would be great Thanks.
Here you go.
83010761A Bracket - - tail bracket - - 2 ea
83011261A Bracket - - seat bracket - - 2 ea
86610131A Rubber Pad - - for tail bracket - 2 ea
86610111A Pad, Fuel Tank - - for seat bracket - - 2 ea

All were available as of 23 June of 2019 from Ducati Omaha. I know for a fact the seat brackets are still available as I just ordered and received one last month.

The first picture @Iconic944ss posted above shows how the seat brackets and the tank pads mount up.

Obviously those support the riders weight and are the more important of the two brackets. The tail end ones just support the rear of the tail and keep it from flopping around.

They're not meant to bear weight which is why the glassed in bracket mount is not so important. You could fab that out of almost any scrap you have lying around the garage.

It's just a straight piece of stock bent 90 degrees in two places, and then bent 90 degrees in the opposite direction about 1/4" farther out from the center.

As I stated, I used some sheet aluminum scrap I had from a buddy's aircraft project. You could buy the same thickness 1" wide flat stock from Lowe's or any other hardware store and it would work the same.

I drilled a series of holes in mine where the glass and epoxy resin was going to make contact so it would permeate through the holes and bond to the AirTech glass. I used marine grade epoxy resin to ensure a tough and durable result.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Good info as I really fancy fitting an SL seat unit to 944ss on rebuild...

Oddly, I'd forgot that I have an aftermarket German seat unit that sits directly on the frame rails without any internal fastnings - from memory, its boxed away at the moment but here is a photo on my steed...

Oh yes - I do remember the seat height / distance to pegs was SO LOW that it hurt!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
When I got my solo tail section for my 900SS (used)--Someone had made a rear support brace for it. -It goes across the rear of the cowling and is glassed in, it is far enough back where when installed the support rests on top of the 2 short bars on the rear frame that point to the front of the bike. The support has a notch on both sides so it slides down over the rear frame bars this keeps it in place, it cant shift side to side & and the cowling support will take your weight no problem. --It was already done when I purchased the seat and I saw no reason to modify something that works perfectly, and it is not visible when installed

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
When I got my solo tail section for my 900SS (used)--Someone had made a rear support brace for it. -It goes across the rear of the cowling and is glassed in, it is far enough back where when installed the support rests on top of the 2 short bars on the rear frame that point to the front of the bike. The support has a notch on both sides so it slides down over the rear frame bars this keeps it in place, it cant shift side to side & and the cowling support will take your weight no problem. --It was already done when I purchased the seat and I saw no reason to modify something that works perfectly, and it is not visible when installed
Next time you have the seat off would you post a couple pics of that brace? My solo seat has 4 sturdy rubber mounts for the rider's weight but I'm going to occasionally toss a set of saddlebags and tailbag over it and since it moves with just finger pressure I want something else underneath. My other solo seat is of much denser fibreglass and the same mounting system never worried me.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'll send a pic next time I remove the seat for you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts