Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully put a horizontal head on the vertical cylinder of a 900SS motor making it more like a pantah? I always loved the look of the carbs pointing back and the exhausts pointing forward (or down)!

·
Registered
395 Posts
i doubt anyone's ever done this.
having the horiz. carb next to the exhaust manifold is not a good thing.
not enough room for the carb/air cleaner, etc. back there, either.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have thought about doing this. Never have had the money for another bike. I think if you style the carbs and exhaust after the Harley XR750 it should work because the carbs will be far enough away from the exhaust. Post up if you start to attempt it. Would be awesome.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Ask and ye shall recieve:

"Just as I was leaving I bumped into an old friend, Glyn Robinson. Glyn is a disgustingly talented engineer who not only made this Ducati's frame but also the tank, replica Marzocchi forks, dry clutch kit and exhaust system but he also converted the rear cylinder head to run the opposite way round. Why? So his modern, six-speed 900SS motor would look like an old Pantah engine with its carb at the back and exhaust port at the front. He reckons the head work cost him a full week of welding, machining and setting up but hopes to be able to offer the same service for a not unreasonable £800 now he's got the hang of it...

Read more: Yesterday at Donington... - Mark Forsyth's Blog - Visordown
"

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
the fins go the wrong way so it won't cool, so you have to cut them all off and weld new ones on. the cylinder/head face is diferent shaped, so you need to weld the head to provide matching material and then redo oil feeds and drains to suit the cylinders. the inlet and exhaust ports point to the wrong sides

should take a talented engineer about a full week.

i want one of those cable dry clutch thingys.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah I completely forgot about the fins, haha. Sounds like a lot of trouble for a look. While Id love to try it, I dont have that kind of budget. Thanks for the info!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts