Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all this is my first post.
can anyone point me to a good source between the differences between the 900 SS CR and SP ?
I tried researching a bit but I am getting more and more confused.

Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hi anatak, first let me welcome you to a magnificent forum! If you ever come to sunny Florida (Miami or Ft. Lauderdale) you can let me know via forum in advance and we could meet and discuss Ducati stuff. If you decide to come to Daytona Bike Week, same. I assist every year, so you can contact me and we can meet.

Now, regarding the 900 ss/cr/sp. There are basic differences between years. I know there is a thread that fully describes the differences. I can tell that the 91' 900ss (which is the one I own) has the white trellis frame with the white rims, it has the aluminum swingarm (versus) the steel on the other models (except) the SP. Also, the 91' has the rear 5.5 inch rim. I believe all the other models (except the SP) have the 4.5 inch rear rim. The cr, some people call them the "cafe-racer" in plain simple words, half-fairing, etc.,etc. Remember the "Search" button is your friend!:D

I personally like the 91' because of the color combo and it included all the goodies a "Superlight" had except for the carbon pieces (which I purchased) on my own and installed them. The solo seat which I don't like because it takes away the possibility to ride with a companion and you also loose the storage space unless you carve a hole on the actual piece so you can access the tool bag or use the space!

Welcome!!! I know someone will give you a better and more detailed description or will certainly point you to the right direction in regards to the exact differences between each model and year.

Vickon:abduct:
(Miami,FL)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
The original poster is apparently in Japan... I thought the SP and CR designations were a USA only thing????

BTW - they are all SS's, the SP and CR designate different equipment on the same basic bike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello all this is my first post.
can anyone point me to a good source between the differences between the 900 SS CR and SP ?
I tried researching a bit but I am getting more and more confused.

Thank you for reading.
Here are some basics, at least for the U.S. market.

900SS CR
Non-adjustable front forks
Plastic front fender
Steel rear swingarm
Possibly a narrower rear rim, but my memory escapes me now on the exact width

900SS SP
Fully adjustable front forks
Carbon front fender
Aluminum rear swingarm
Wider rear rim

I'm sure that there is an Ian Faloon book in print that will give you far more detail. Good luck on your search.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
cr vs ss

www.ducatitech.com/2v/sp_cr_faq.html

The Cr is cheaper if you get a 5.5"rim that will help. The only real problem making it upgrade (to the higher spec version) is the triple trees are 40 mm and all the cool forks are 41 and up so I put in Race tech valve kits in my forks and they are great, Avoid the 96 as you can not upgrade forks. I thought I wanted a full fairing but I now love the look of the half and it runs cooler here in Hawaii plus you can have fun showing off the bling The CR is a great buy

09 Ducati GT 1000 Ohlins F&R Termis Rizoma bling
95 Ducati SS 900 CR
81 Yamaha SR 500 total cafe project bike

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Japan indeed

Hey Joe-B and the rest of the ducati gang,

Thank you for the explanation.
As someone pointed out. I live in Japan at the moment. Originally from Europe.
I had never heard about the CR SP version before reading online. I read the ducatitech page but that got me more confused.

Maybe the CR version was intended only for the US market ?
I ll go measure some stuff on the bike today.

Now it has 39 Keihin flatslides with K&N airfilters instead of the Mikunis.
the previous owner moved all the ignition stuff to the outside of the frame.
This is not the most pretty sight and I am looking to put the electronics back under the tank if possible.

If someone who runs without airbox could take a picture of where his/her electronics are that would help me figure out how to replace eveyrthing back.
Because I have to explain everything to my mechanic in my broken Japanese and his broken English I would really really appreciate a picture in as high a resolution as possible.

If I ever make it to the states I ll will give a shout in the forum to see if we can meet up and talk bikes.
Likewise if someone ends up in Kitakyushu (south of Japan) we can meet here and explore the local bikelife

·
Registered
454 Posts
Yep CR and SP were for US only.

The Supersport the rest of the world got was basically an SP without the plaque or carbon front mudguard.

·
Registered
577 Posts
www.ducatitech.com/2v/sp_cr_faq.html

The Cr is cheaper if you get a 5.5"rim that will help. The only real problem making it upgrade (to the higher spec version) is the triple trees are 40 mm and all the cool forks are 41 and up so I put in Race tech valve kits in my forks and they are great, Avoid the 96 as you can not upgrade forks. I thought I wanted a full fairing but I now love the look of the half and it runs cooler here in Hawaii plus you can have fun showing off the bling The CR is a great buy
The SP forks are a direct swap to the CR, if you wanna go that route actually.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I personally like the 91' because of the color combo and it included all the goodies a "Superlight" had except for the carbon pieces (which I purchased) on my own and installed them. The solo seat which I don't like because it takes away the possibility to ride with a companion and you also loose the storage space unless you carve a hole on the actual piece so you can access the tool bag or use the space!

(Miami,FL)
Not quite all the goodies - the '91 doesn't have the Marvic wheels that grace the first (1992) SL nor the fully floating discs that were on all SL's (bar the 1993 Mk2?) . The only reason I don't like the solo is that it was badly supported on the first bikes and used to crack - ought to have been a recall.

Gotta agree with you re the red bodywork/white frame colour combination of the 91/92 bikes though. Absolutely gorgous.
Actually, I've been thinking of changing the scheme on my HM. Hmmm...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my frame is the bronze/champagne color.

I bought a non SL because from time to time I will have to take a passenger.

I have a 1976 900 SS but that has a mono seat and it is a bit of a waste to drive that bike too much. Also parking the 1967 out of my sight is not something I want to do which makes the old SS a bit impractical.

the new 900 SS has also a less racy posture than the old SS so that will be a lot more relaxed to drive.

Thanks for helping to lift the fog about the CR SP thing

anatak

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have a 94 CR with the new studs, lightened flywheel, high compression pistons, Keihin 40mm flat slides, and Ohlins suspension. Personally I like the looks of the CR better as the mechanicals are out in the open and on display. But that is just, like, my opinion man :D

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey it has only been seven years and time for new blood. The 900SS just keeps getting better. :grin2:

Reactions: grrss
1 - 18 of 18 Posts